Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Brand New STi...

this was a couple of months before I joined this forum...so I share the story with you guys today...it was kinda embarrasing when it happened...but it made me get over the hump of running with no new mods for so long...

there I am...on the highway coming home late night... it's thursday so there's a tone of cars on the street exiting the track... lots of ricers racing on their own and such... then about half way to my house...I see this Magnum R/T HEMI... that recognizes the car for what it is...and starts to cut through traffic to see if I follow... I pass him later on...(still in traffic)... and I stumble accross this BRAND new STi... probably a few months out of the dealer at best...crusing with his buddy in a '01 rs Impreza... (which was made turbo)... well... I start playing around with him seeing if I can coax him into runnin...

so... he finally gives in... there's a bit of traffic but it's clear enough to have a go at it... he proceeds to slow down almost to 10mph...on the FREEWAY with people coming on behind us... LOL... well I drop down to first (AUTOMATIC TRANS.) just so I am in gear when I take off... so... he guns it first and to my surprise I immediatly jump on him and get a car... I completely forget to shift and over-rev...he shifts at the same time...so lead stays the same... then when it's time to shift to 3rd same exact thing hapens to me... I'm already 2 cars ahead... had to lift and get back on it after it shifted... it's in 3rd and I'm runnin... make it to about 125MPH+ and I let off... and to my surprise the STi was WAYYYYY behind... but about 3 cars behind was the HEMI MAGNUM R/T... who saw us line up and decided to race too from behind my car... ... he also beat the snot out of the STi... went and turned around fore I had missed my exit gave the guy in the Hemi the THUMBS up... and went on my way home...

All this time I had never raced an STi and I was afraid of them thinking they might whoop my butt... but man... I never expected to beat him that badly on the highway...it felt awsome...and gave me new LIFE cause I hadn't raced anyone in months...
    Mods: SLP Air Lid w/ KN, Free-Mods, LS6 Manifold, Magnaflow, Headers, EFILive
    Visuals: Angel eyes, rear eurolights and T/A rims
    Suspension: Eibach ProKit, UMI Adj. Panhard, SFC's, LCA Relocation brakets, KYB AGX shocks

http://www.fquick.com/garages/Chevro...28/1999/23674/

10's N/A

Good kill. Those AWD's aren't so bad on the highway.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

nice kill, a ran an sti once and won

white
    1989 turbo trans am anniv

Is there any performance gain by attempting to shift the automatic trannys in the Gen 4 F bodies like a manual? In the TTA and Grand nationals you just place it in drive, not overdrive to race.
    2004 MB E500
    1997 Viper GTS B/W
    1993 Mustang Cobra teal
    1989 20th Anniv Turbo Trans Am hardtop
    2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by ttadriver View Post
    Grand nationals you just place it in drive, not overdrive to race.
    That's all I do. Doesn't really seem to help much tho.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Local guy. This is one STi I wouldn't want to run into.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4qWM1PQbY4c

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by ttadriver View Post
    Is there any performance gain by attempting to shift the automatic trannys in the Gen 4 F bodies like a manual? In the TTA and Grand nationals you just place it in drive, not overdrive to race.
    well... frankly...and this is the Numbers talking... my car went 3 tenths faster down the quarter mile...myself shifting the car... from 14.1 to 13.8... on just shifting myself... that's it... so...until I learn any better or get a trans tune... I'll keep shifting...

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Local guy. This is one STi I wouldn't want to run into.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4qWM1PQbY4c

That's nothing... you should check out the STi that rules the streets over here in PR...

9.6...and he hit the fucking breaks before crossing the line...(I WAS THERE WHEN IT HAPPENED)

Metalic Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

good kill I've smoked two so far.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    That's nothing... you should check out the STi that rules the streets over here in PR...

9.6...and he hit the fucking breaks before crossing the line...(I WAS THERE WHEN IT HAPPENED)
    They can be made quick for sure.
    The one I posted would most likely be solidly in the mid 10's at sea level.
    Damn Colorado altitude....
    I guess they are still working out the tune as well.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    They can be made quick for sure.
    The one I posted would most likely be solidly in the mid 10's at sea level.
    Damn Colorado altitude....
    I guess they are still working out the tune as well.
    hehe...yeah...around here I believe the track is damn near sea level... all 4 of them are... the oldest and best traction one...is almost dead flat with the sea level....needles to say...everyone goes faster there...

My deam for my car...is to eventually touch the 10's with lots of Nitrous...and engine rebuilt... I hope

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

manual shifting an auto does nothing for you, well except maybe damage the tranny alittle faster

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by BadBlueBird* View Post
    manual shifting an auto does nothing for you, well except maybe damage the tranny alittle faster
    I'm not kidding when I say it went 3 tenths faster down the track while shiftin myself... no one seems to believe me...but it's true there's even video on it...but I don't know the dude well so I haven't been able to ask for it

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

It doesn't do me any better, but then again I have a shift kit. However, the general school of thought is to just put it in drive(3) instead of overdrive.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Manual shifting the trans does not hurt it. Please explain how that could happen, assuming you are not doing something stupid like neutral drops or similar. My '98 AT car was 2-3 tenths and 1-2 MPH faster at the dragstrip also, manually shifting I was able to shift the car closer to 6150.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I had a 97 3.8L V6 that would shift at higher rpm if you just put it in D than if you tried to hold it in gear (the "idiot override" would shift on it's own no matter). I've always raced my Z28 in D, assuming it would do the same thing as the V6 car. I've never tried to shift it. My 69 Mustang runs quicker when I manually shift the C4 automatic, but it will stay in gear longer that way.

BTW, does anyone recommend downshifting the A4 manually when racing from a roll? I know the Mustang will drop down into second gear way past where it would normally shift out when you down shift it.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I would put it in the gear I wanted to be in when I had my AT '98. That way no delay when you floor it.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

I dissagree, by shifting it manually you can change all the shift points to when you want them. If you let the car shift it's like a computer program when you're full throttle, the car will shift at the same RPM every time. And shifting an auto tranny manually will not hurt it, unless you're doing neutral drops like too fast said. Then you'll probably break an engine or tranny mount before anything else.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 02ultraZ View Post
    I dissagree, by shifting it manually you can change all the shift points to when you want them. If you let the car shift it's like a computer program when you're full throttle, the car will shift at the same RPM every time. And shifting an auto tranny manually will not hurt it, unless you're doing neutral drops like too fast said. Then you'll probably break an engine or tranny mount before anything else.
    Glad to see others share in my opinions!...

Thread Information