pewter
    2001 Z28

Bow Tie-Blue Oval showdown.

Yes another mustang kill but it was fun and closer than i thought it would be. A friend of mine with a 95 Z and I met up with another guy in town that has a 98 GT with some mods. The mustang guy had one of his friends coming out that had a 99 Cobra clone also. So it was 2 on 2.

The "Cobra" was originally a v6 car that they put a 03/04 cobra motor in but took the blower off for some reason? Seems like a lot of hassle unless it was a 99 or 2k cobra motor and he just said it was 03/04 just to brag. Anyways, guy said it had udp's, full exhaust, intake, gears, some other stuff and if not what he called "fully" tuned, just a tune.

So we race first. He spins real bad, shifts to 2nd at way to slow of a speed and bogs. Meanwhile I pull a good amount away but let off early because of no point.

Up next the 95 and the 98 GT run. The z has a bad tranny, has to pump shift to get it in 2nd and forget about third, it just shifts back down to second and bounces off the rev limiter. 6spd swap woo hoo. Anyways they go, the z spinning badly but keeping up and pretty much won up to 3rd. They ran a few more times with the same general outcome.

So me and the "cobra" run again. He launches better this time, i think about even with me but i still pull ahead 3 cars i think with lifting early.

Next race, he lets his buddy drive which did a hell of a better job than he did funny enough. 3 honks, we go, he actually hooks up good and gets me about 1 to 1 1/2cars off the hole as i spun a bit more. Get rolling good, hit 3rd gear and pull past him up to about 2 cars out I believe. It was a good race. I figured the cobra would have edged me out but it was a blast. Guy seemed a little disappointed in his car especially when his buddy gave me a better run. lol

Rob

silver
    2002 ws6

good kills--- the only cobras that are really worth a damn are the termis.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

^^^ Id have to agree, i drove a 01 Cobra and as soon as it gets to the higher rpms doesnt pull too well, feels like it has a good amount of torque, nice exhuast sound but the clutch even on the 01's are stiff i thought they are like that only on the 03-04 models but i heard the 04 models are a bit better as far as the clutch pedal, even though i hardly felt the difference.

pewter
    2001 Z28

Yea it was funny. Once he shifted to 3rd, thats when i really started to pull. Seems like a lot of work for not being that quick. I really think my car with 2.73's would've have pulled on him. But it was fun.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    ^^^ Id have to agree, i drove a 01 Cobra and as soon as it gets to the higher rpms doesnt pull too well, feels like it has a good amount of torque, nice exhuast sound but the clutch even on the 01's are stiff i thought they are like that only on the 03-04 models but i heard the 04 models are a bit better as far as the clutch pedal, even though i hardly felt the difference.
    N/A DOHC 4.6 motors (the kind found in 96-98 & 99/01 Cobras) make their peak power very high in the rpm range, and do not make good low or mid-range torque.

You may have been 'feeling' the very aggressive gearing in 1st gear (3.37 vs 2.66 1st gear in your T56).

Thread Information