Black
    BMW E39 540I 6 spd 4.4 V8

BMW vs. LS1 Camaro

Hey ya'll its been awhile since I've posted on here. Forgot I still had a login to the site.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone knows this guy. He drives a darkish blue LS1 Camaro with what looked like black wheels. He may have had headers, no cats/resonators or no mufflers because his car was extremely loud. It sounded distinctly like he had headers but I could very well be mistaken.

Anyways, this takes place in Concord, NC. Its about 12:15AM and I'm headed home from work on I-85. I'm in the left lane and moving along quickly as I've got a long drive home and just wanted to get home ASAP. As i'm driving I come up on this dark blue Camaro who moves over to let me pass but as soon as I start to pass he stabs it to let me know he's interested. I look over and I see the guy smiling. So I downshift from 6th to 3rd and wait for him to do the same. I hear him downshift too so I kick it and so does he. We start off from a 75-ish roll. He tucks in behind me about 2 cars back but doesn't make any ground or pull on me. I go to 4th, then 5th and somewhere around 140-ish I start to slowly pull away from him then I see his headlights hunker down, letting me know he hit the breaks so I slow down as well.
    I pull into the right lane and he comes up beside me. I roll my window down and smile and throw him a thumbs up and he returns it. Very cool dude.

Anyways, I'm wondering if any of the SE members know who he is or what all is done to his car? It sounded great. If anyone knows him please tell him the guy with the black 5-series said good run!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Nice! what mods to you have?

Black

My 540I has basic mods.
    Its got a home made DIY intake that I built out of $30 worth of Home Depot parts. LOL.
    I also had a local muffler shop chop out the OEM resonator and muffler and install 2.5" crush bent piping from the rear axle to a Magnaflow muffler.
    The car also has a lightweight flywheel, although the flywheel doesn't do anything on the highway, although it makes the car much quicker when tooling around town.

Most of the 540I guys claim that my mods do not add any power, but that hasn't been my experience. BMW rates the 540I at 282HP at the flywheel, but I've actually dyno'd 290WHP on a Mustang Dyno with a crappy A/F of 12.0 to 12.1. The Dyno operator said I'm probably down 20-25HP due to my rich A/F.

On a Dynojet the car would have likely put down around 320-322WHP.

Quote Originally Posted by ForceFed View Post
    My 540I has basic mods.
    Its got a home made DIY intake that I built out of $30 worth of Home Depot parts. LOL.
    I also had a local muffler shop chop out the OEM resonator and muffler and install 2.5" crush bent piping from the rear axle to a Magnaflow muffler.
    The car also has a lightweight flywheel, although the flywheel doesn't do anything on the highway, although it makes the car much quicker when tooling around town.

Most of the 540I guys claim that my mods do not add any power, but that hasn't been my experience. BMW rates the 540I at 282HP at the flywheel, but I've actually dyno'd 290WHP on a Mustang Dyno with a crappy A/F of 12.0 to 12.1. The Dyno operator said I'm probably down 20-25HP due to my rich A/F.

On a Dynojet the car would have likely put down around 320-322WHP.
    Those 4.4L V8s get down. I've seen a couple of them in the 12s, in full weight 4 door saloon luxury.

Black

Thanks. Ill be honest in saying i was surprised he didnt pull on me. But then again there isnt much going on in my 540 till i hit80 mph. Then it stretches its legs. Its 2.81 open rear diff is a pile of fail but fun on the highway. If we'd have kicked it from a low roll or dig i'd probably have gotten drug pretty good.

Thanks. Ill be honest in saying i was surprised he didnt pull on me. But then again there isnt much going on in my 540 till i hit80 mph. Then it stretches its legs. Its 2.81 open rear diff is a pile of fail but fun on the highway. If we'd have kicked it from a low roll or dig i'd probably have gotten drug pretty good.
    I've also seen some nice M5s get down with that 4.9L V8. Those BMWs also sound like proper V8s once you put pipes on them.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    I've also seen some nice M5s get down with that 4.9L V8. Those BMWs also sound like proper V8s once you put pipes on them.
    Yes the M5 is wicked. One of my good friends has one with a Jim Conforti tune and a UUC lightweight flywheel+clutch combo. The flywheel/clutch combo was $2700.

Thursday night my buddy with the M5 and I got em lined up and we got it on video. I'll post the video once I get it off my buddy's camera and get it edited. It was a 15 roll. I actually pulled the M5 out of the hole but he drove by me somewhere around 120mph, LOL. He's probably making somewhere around 425-430 HP at the crank. It was a good run.

Black

Yes the M5 is wicked. One of my good friends has one with a Jim Conforti tune and a UUC lightweight flywheel+clutch combo. The flywheel/clutch combo was $2700.

Thursday night my buddy with the M5 and I got em lined up and we got it on video. I'll post the video once I get it off my buddy's camera and get it edited. It was a 15 roll. I actually pulled the M5 out of the hole but he drove by me somewhere around 120mph, LOL. He's probably making somewhere around 425-430 HP at the crank. It was a good run.
    Video! Enjoy:

E39 540i vs E39 M5

Thread Information