BMW 328i vs 3.8 Mod

This is a discussion on BMW 328i vs 3.8 Mod within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; so I drive, the youngest of the 98-02 f-body brothers. A 1999 3.8l Pontiac Firebird, with some minor bolt-ons. (For ...

Black
    2000 T/A

BMW 328i vs 3.8 Mod

so I drive, the youngest of the 98-02 f-body brothers. A 1999 3.8l Pontiac Firebird, with some minor bolt-ons. (For those who will tell me to get a v8, yeah I know I should, but I'm broke, and I'm too young I'd kill myself with an LS1)

anyway in my town there's this young investor/stockbroker wannabe jackass that drives a brand new BMW 328i, and I pull up to a stoplight and he's sitting there with the convertible top down and he instantly starts revving his motor and trying to intimidate me, well then the light turns green and we're off! It's a dead even race till about 65 then I start to pull him. Suddenly I have 2 cars on him then I start to pull even harder and he's like freaking out! I had my girlfriend in the car, and we were laughing so hard. Then the guy got mad and downshifted, and like took a quick turn flipping us off calling me a dumb punk, and told me to get a real car!
    haha, I know you are all driving trans ams z28s formulas and ss's but an occasional v6 kill story is okay right?

2009 Corvette ZO6

^ One of the better kills ever posted! Awesome job kiddo lol...!

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

You should of done better then that, my old 99 V6 camaro killed the BMW 325i all the time.

2009 Corvette ZO6

^ Bit of a difference though between the 325i, and the 328i, no....?

98T/Aformula
    A kill is a kill, very nice...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

Last night I screwed with a 325 I6 and we were both in 2nd gear in a higher rev and he guns it and i stomp on the throttle and i just pass him and give him a little exhaust note before i shifted... he gave me the hang loose hawaiian thing and a thumbs up... Man he was suprised... I totally beat him like a red headed step child!

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    ^ Bit of a difference though between the 325i, and the 328i, no....?
    Good point, I misread that. I was thinking it said 325i, my bad still a good kill

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000SuperSportMaro
    ...beat him like a red headed step child!
    Classic!

It's @ 0.50

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

HAHA that is awesome!

Black
    2000 T/A

yeah so I talked to the guy today, he kept going on about his car, and how he missed a gear. So we lined them up again, from a dig, and this time I pulled him by about 3 1/2 cars! Then from a 20 mph roll I got about 2 1/2 . Man, is this guy mad, he's only had his brand new precious beamer for about a month and he's getting it handed to him by a v6! Anyway, the car has a computer reprogrammer, a cold air intake, and exhaust. It's an 07 model, so it will get up and move! just not as fast as my wonderful example of General Motors engineering!

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

What do you have done to urs?

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

nice kill!

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

nice job man

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Not trying to rain on the parade or anything, but most BMW's are not built for straight line performance, like a Camaro or Mustang. Rather, they are built for overall handling and top end speed. In fact, most German cars are built for handling and luxury, not 1/4 mile times (911 Turbo and Carrera GT being exceptions).

Personally, I'm more of a straightline performance kind of guy. But where a European car shines is on the curves.

Black
    2000 T/A

well not to rain on your parade hombre' but what exactly does one consider great handling and high speeds, I think a 3.8l v6 doing 137 on a highway pull is pretty impressive, but hey to each his own. lol

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOverall View Post
    well not to rain on your parade hombre' but what exactly does one consider great handling and high speeds, I think a 3.8l v6 doing 137 on a highway pull is pretty impressive, but hey to each his own. lol
    You missed the point. A BMW is designed to be stable at high speeds. They are designed for the Autobahn, which has no speed limit. There is no way to compare a Camaro to a BMW, they were designed, built, and focused on doing two entirely different things. In stock form, a Camaro=straight line sprints. A BMW=carving up mountain roads. Put each it ins element and it will shine.

I'm not knocking the fact you got to 137 mph on the freeway. That's great. But it was in a straight line. Let's see anybody's car on here - with the exception of people that dump thousands of dollars into autocrossing their car - do 80 mph on some switch backs.

Sure, we could do it, but we'd have creases in the rear fenders from flex, the body roll is outrageous, and your ears would probably ring from the popping and cracking noises from the cheap interior plastic flexing.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I completly agree that BMW are made for curves but a WS6/SS with minor sepesion upgrades handles great in the curves and can beat all but the best bemmers in road courses.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

I agree that upgrading the suspension on a Camaro or Firebird will make it handle better. But having been a passenger in a 5 and 7 Series BMW, the driving experience is far beyond what SFC's, LCA's, sway bars, etc., can do for these cars.

I'm not knocking F-body's, its just an apples to oranges comparison. I'm glad this kid beat the cocky SOB that he did. And don't get me wrong, I think its laughable when some douche bag in a 325 thinks he can beat every car on the road. But I also understand my stock suspension is not going to allow me to keep up with a BMW at 80 mph on switchbacks.

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

Well, maybe you should tell home-boy in the BMW that, since he bought "The ultimate driving machine" that got stomped on by a v6. He didn't try to race the beemer around a corner, he wasn't invading his territory. The german car entered the wrong realm and paid the price. End of story. Good kill!

Black
    2000 T/A

Talked to the guy again. The guy said he's trading in the car, and getting. okay get this... A Mazda Speed 6! haha lmao.

Any upgrade ideas?

Thread Information