Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: blue wrx

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

blue wrx

looked pretty modded. this was my first race after the stall and it didn't feel like the car really took off but i pulled him steadily, we were neck and neck, started at the same time or him a little in front but by 100 I had a car on him. started around 70ish, would have been fun to go from a dig.

my mods are basically lid, tune, cutout and stall and from what i could tell he had a good sounding, loud exhaust and an a-pillar gauge cluster (probably turbo/boost upgrade or something).

silver
    2002 ws6

it would have to be pretty modded--- good kill

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Had to be seriously modded. WRX's are dog slow, from a roll it would have looked like he was going backwards fast, even in a stock LS1.

You sure it wasn't an STI? I've raced modded WRXs before and they are slow from a roll.

For a base WRX to keep with an LS1 it must have an upgraded turbo setup.

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

yea there up top is pretty much crap. the only good thing from them is there 4wd so the launches are damn good.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Also depends what year WRX. The 09 can make 300whp on stock turbo, the vf52(stock turbo) is good, alot of guys are actually putting them on legacys and makeing 300whp with a direct bolt up turbo. But if it was a 08 or earlier, complete dog. But even then i think a 09 with 300whp would have a hard time beating a stalled bolt on ls1 car from a roll. The 09 WRX is the reason subie is upping the power in the STI because its just as fast as an sti in a straight line.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Also depends what year WRX. The 09 can make 300whp on stock turbo, the vf52(stock turbo) is good, alot of guys are actually putting them on legacys and makeing 300whp with a direct bolt up turbo. But if it was a 08 or earlier, complete dog. But even then i think a 09 with 300whp would have a hard time beating a stalled bolt on ls1 car from a roll. The 09 WRX is the reason subie is upping the power in the STI because its just as fast as an sti in a straight line.
    I test drove a 09 wrx and they are still slow as hell. I was not impressed at all it would take quite a bit of modding just for even a new one to keep up with a stock ls1. My shity stock beater eclips pulled as hard as that thing.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula. View Post
    I test drove a 09 wrx and they are still slow as hell. I was not impressed at all it would take quite a bit of modding just for even a new one to keep up with a stock ls1. My shity stock beater eclips pulled as hard as that thing.
    Not really, a 09 wrx can make 290-300whp on mustang dyno with a couple exhaust pieces and a tune and it weighs only 3100-3200lbs. A stock ls1 car makes what 280-290whp on a mustang dyno and weighs 3500-3600lbs. If you think your 170whp eclipse pulled as hard as a 220whp wrx then your crazy. Not sure what eclipse you have but even the turbo AWD GSX was a mid to high 14 second car at best and the 09 wrx is a mid 13 second car stock.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 06-11-2009 at 08:51 AM.

Yeah, the '09s got a VF52 turbine that puts out 265hp/244tq stock. I drove an '09 WRX as well and they feel pretty decent. Definitely has more pickup than the older models. I would venture to say that the claimed 265hp is underrated. You can run high 13s@100mph with a base model '09 WRX in bone stock form.

Arctic White, red/gray

It is underrated, dyno number show crank hp is around 280.

Motortrend got a 13.5 at 101mph, 0-60 4.8
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

Car and drvier got a 13.5 at 102mph, 0-60 4.7
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

silver
    2002 ws6

still just a wrx.

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    still just a wrx.
    .... was there a point here?

To each there own, but the '09 WRX isn't bad. I've driven it, and it's on par with the STI believe it or not, without all the ricer bits.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

I am going to have to blame it on the altitude then because the one I test drove was slow as balls. Its more of a family car then anything imo. Ugly as shit to boot. I wanted a nicer dd then the eclips so I was going to go for a wrx or sti. Both drove a road like shit and were slow as hell so I settled on the S. Not a fan of the WRX or sti sorry dyno numbers dont really mean shit to me.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    .... was there a point here?

To each there own, but the '09 WRX isn't bad. I've driven it, and it's on par with the STI believe it or not, without all the ricer bits.
    was there a point here?

it's still just an ugly, gutless turbo 4-banger ricer.

Arctic White, red/gray

was there a point here?

it's still just an ugly, gutless turbo 4-banger ricer.
    Put ugly aside since that is just personal opinion. 300whp in a 3200lbs car isnt slow. And with 700 in mods you coudl make 300whp in the new wrx. Thats not gutless, thats a 12 second car with 700 in mods that you can drive all year round.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Put ugly aside since that is just personal opinion. 300whp in a 3200lbs car isnt slow. And with 700 in mods you coudl make 300whp in the new wrx. Thats not gutless, thats a 12 second car with 700 in mods that you can drive all year round.
    Its gutless because it has absolutely no power or torque before the turbo spools up. Meaning its a complete dog below 3,000RPM. Thats what I would consider gutless.

And Subarus are not reliable like some people think. We'd have so many Subarus in the shop with bad O2's, leaking cam seals, and blown head gaskets (2.5L) that I've lost track of the total count. And of course the transmission problems that the WRX's have are in their own league.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Its gutless because it has absolutely no power or torque before the turbo spools up. Meaning its a complete dog below 3,000RPM. Thats what I would consider gutless.

And Subarus are not reliable like some people think. We'd have so many Subarus in the shop with bad O2's, leaking cam seals, and blown head gaskets (2.5L) that I've lost track of the total count. And of course the transmission problems that the WRX's have are in their own league.
    The pre 05 trannys are the problematic ones. I agree with that. But the 5 speed in the 05+ wrx and legacy gt has taken 400whp on many many setups. I guess its gutless before 2500rpms when the turbo spools but when racing when are you ever below 2500rpms? Im not saying they are race cars by any means, they are just fun cars that you can use as a DD in any weather.

PS its hard to take what you say seriously about any car that isnt a lsx car because you give no repect to any 4 cylinder car. Not to mention you just whine about how more boost hurts the engine when last time we spoke you didnt even know how boost/turbo size was relevant. As i remember after superluminal chimed in and told you how you were wrong you wrote nothing in that thread afterwards.

You repair engines but you seem to have very little understanding about how a turbo setup actually works and can be made powerful and reliable.

silver
    2002 ws6

The pre 05 trannys are the problematic ones. I agree with that. But the 5 speed in the 05+ wrx and legacy gt has taken 400whp on many many setups. I guess its gutless before 2500rpms when the turbo spools but when racing when are you ever below 2500rpms? Im not saying they are race cars by any means, they are just fun cars that you can use as a DD in any weather.

PS its hard to take what you say seriously about any car that isnt a lsx car because you give no repect to any 4 cylinder car. Not to mention you just whine about how more boost hurts the engine when last time we spoke you didnt even know how boost/turbo size was relevant. As i remember after superluminal chimed in and told you how you were wrong you wrote nothing in that thread afterwards.

You repair engines but you seem to have very little understanding about how a turbo setup actually works and can be made powerful and reliable.
    and it's hard to take you serious because you are in every single ricer thread beating yourself off over the internet about how wonderful and full of teddy bear hugs ricers are.

silver
    2002 ws6

dont bring mods into it. you can do that with any car. stock it's still an ugly POS

and it's hard to take you serious because you are in every single ricer thread beating yourself off over the internet about how wonderful and full of teddy bear hugs ricers are.
    ... and you're in every single thread trying to prove otherwise. Are you no different?

Thread Information