Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Bench Race Against an S197

My buddy lives 4+ hours away so I rarely get to see him.

He's got a '06 S197 with M5.
    His mods: K&N FIPK, deleted cat-back, and a PCM tune he says gives him around 360 flywheel horsepower. He has never been on a dyno and has no ETs on a track.

My car: '00 A4 with 2.73 rearend.
    My mods: K&N FIPK, Longtubes, Magnaflow, Powerbond Pulley, 295's out back, Air Delete, EGR Delete, Torque Management Delete. I made 320WHP and 335WTQ on a Mustang dyno last September on a very hot and humid day. I have also not been to a track yet.

We plan to run 'em at the 1/4 in Clay City sometime, maybe this summer. I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on a dig and low roll.

rapter34
    you should be able to beat him from eaither. the torque advantage is where the race is going to be. plus im pretty sure that Mustangs have more drivetrain loss than F-bodies.

no way he is making 360fwhp.
    324hp/333tq

silver
    2002 ws6

you will win.

but get a high stall too...

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

A stall would be hella fun... My car is my DD so I am hesitant to go with a stall but then again I don't know much about them. I only know that they kill MPG and much less power gets to the ground but the acceleration is insaine. My next toy will be the Weiand LSX Intake (if it lives up to the hype).

I didn't think he's making 360 at the flywheel either, I wanted to hear from some Mustang guys on this before I call BS.

black
    1993 mustang

call BS! No way he's making that. take em! but mods on your car- I would get rear gears first and a transmission cooler maybe some traction aids. you will kill em!

Black
    05 mustang GT modded

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    My buddy lives 4+ hours away so I rarely get to see him.

He's got a '06 S197 with M5.
    His mods: K&N FIPK, deleted cat-back, and a PCM tune he says gives him around 360 flywheel horsepower. He has never been on a dyno and has no ETs on a track.

My car: '00 A4 with 2.73 rearend.
    My mods: K&N FIPK, Longtubes, Magnaflow, Powerbond Pulley, 295's out back, Air Delete, EGR Delete, Torque Management Delete. I made 320WHP and 335WTQ on a Mustang dyno last September on a very hot and humid day. I have also not been to a track yet.

We plan to run 'em at the 1/4 in Clay City sometime, maybe this summer. I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on a dig and low roll.
    If he has no cats, and his intake is opened up, he may be around 360 crank. A tune alone in an S197 will give at least 20rwhp. I made 279whp(328fwhp) and 290tq before I changed my pipes with only a CAI and tune. Once I got my hi flows, I should be around 290(340) or so to the ground. Guys with delete plates and off road pipes are putting down ~300whp and ~320tq. I don't recognize some of his mods so maybe they're opening his cars breathing. These S197's are choked up from the factory with plates under the manifolds and crap and it sounds like he got rid of em. I dunno, he may be putting slightly over 300 to the ground without those cats and plates under the manifold. Anyways, you should win with the numbers you have put down on the dyno, but I dunno about those 2:73's. The 06's were the best year cuz they had better tires and lighter rims. Several guys ran 13.3's and 4's stock with one guy running 13.2 i believe. Your friend might be pretty quick with his set up if he can drive.
    Last edited by Camarofan; 07-15-2008 at 06:00 PM.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

I don't think he has done anything with his factory exhaust manifolds, I'll have to let him know about this though since it sounds like a free mod.

My theory is that from a dig race he will spin a bit at first and then hook up. I on the other hand with 2.73's and wide tires will deadhook and move out. His gearing is much better than mine so if he's got enough power, he might be able to reel me in because he can row 'em.

They call me barney

FUCKING PURPLE
    its an 02-ish something

comes down to a driver run, ive got a cammed ls1, and the new gt's are pretty quick, do it from a dig, if you know how to drive you should be able to out launch him and stay ahead, from a roll standard cars usually get the better of an A4

black
    2004 Pontiac GTO

You will win from a dig or a roll

Mod for Mod you should have the advantage over the S197

His only real mod is the intake and tune which I think nets around 15 - 20RWHP.
    His catback may give him another 3-5 HP, no big deal, just a sound mod (from what I've heard)

you should have the bigger tire out back, so work on your 60 foot time (I wish I could fit that tire on my car )

Stock vs Stock you should win, mod for mod you should still win. You have more mods and better mods then he does so you should win easier.

If he still has the stock gears you shouldn't have a problem, most of the guys around town seem to swap gears as one of their first mods.

From my personal exp when I had 322 and 330 RWHP/TQ I beat 4 S197 stangs, they could get me off the line (5sp) but I would catch them before it was over. I didn't win them all, but the ones I lost had more mods and gears for sure.

Just work on your 60foot time and have fun

Personally I would go with a cam setup or at the very least a stall. You can spend $400.00 on a decent stall, have it installed for about $300 (most shops I think) and have no problem and a lot more fun driving

They call me barney

FUCKING PURPLE
    its an 02-ish something

idk i think it would be alot closer then what you think, the new gt's are pretty quick

black
    2004 Pontiac GTO

I don't think it will be that close.

I think a stock S197 puts down like 260/270 RWHP stock, so with a can tune and intake he might be around 275-285 RWHP. (if it was a cust dyno tune it would be higher)

I don't think there is much difference in weight between the 2 cars
    So with a good amount more grunt down low, a bigger back tire, and with a 40-50 HP advantage... I'll take the F Body on this one

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by boofthese View Post
    idk i think it would be alot closer then what you think, the new gt's are pretty quick
    Yes they are just that, pretty quick. Not as quick as the LS1 car mod for mod. With the mods the GT has he won't be putting up the numbers the LS1 car made. So it would basically take some real driver error on 'hoss 2000' part for the GT to get the win.

Thread Information