Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 101

Being Called out by a Evo

This is a discussion on Being Called out by a Evo within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; He dynoed in december, in ohio aka 25-30 degrees....

  1. #61
    Bawlz Deep andrew rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ohio
    Age
    29
    Posts
    786

    gold
    2000 honder accord

    He dynoed in december, in ohio aka 25-30 degrees.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew rs View Post
    He dynoed in december, in ohio aka 25-30 degrees.
    Yeah, I was going to say 345 for those mods would definitely be the high end of the spectrum. Most dyno 330-335 but there have been some 340-345, however like I said, its usually in the cold weather where they will belt out that extra 8-10whp.

  3. #63
    Bawlz Deep andrew rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ohio
    Age
    29
    Posts
    786

    gold
    2000 honder accord

    I love the thing, its like a go cart only with four doors and bigger. Its super fast off the line, and corners like its on rails.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew rs View Post
    I love the thing, its like a go cart only with four doors and bigger. Its super fast off the line, and corners like its on rails.
    Yeah, its not too fast stock, especially from a roll, but a few quick, inexpensive mods make it much, much quicker and the grip and handling can be loads of fun.

  5. #65
    Senior Member camarojunky74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    corona ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,258

    white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

    between an 02 ss and a evo 9 which one do you think pulls more g's on the skid pad. and if you dont take into condideration and evo being awd which one do you guys thinks corners better???

    imo i would say and slp ss with sub frames and bilsteins and strut tower brace would do really well against an evo or sti.

  6. #66
    Puerto Rico LS1 Rikki_SeVeN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,532

    Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    between an 02 ss and a evo 9 which one do you think pulls more g's on the skid pad. and if you dont take into condideration and evo being awd which one do you guys thinks corners better???

    imo i would say and slp ss with sub frames and bilsteins and strut tower brace would do really well against an evo or sti.
    I think at some point the Camaro would brake loose earlier then the Evo would... Evo would probably lift a tire before stepping out... the STi tends to understeer so it might not do as well

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    between an 02 ss and a evo 9 which one do you think pulls more g's on the skid pad. and if you dont take into condideration and evo being awd which one do you guys thinks corners better???

    imo i would say and slp ss with sub frames and bilsteins and strut tower brace would do really well against an evo or sti.
    The skidpad just shows which breaks loose first, not necessarily the better handling car. I read a stock 2006 did a .94g in Car and Driver.

  8. #68
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    between an 02 ss and a evo 9 which one do you think pulls more g's on the skid pad. and if you dont take into condideration and evo being awd which one do you guys thinks corners better???

    imo i would say and slp ss with sub frames and bilsteins and strut tower brace would do really well against an evo or sti.
    Its not so much the actual handling numbers, its more about how easy to car is to drive. Evos are very easy to drive fast, and are very predictable at the limit, giving the impression that they handle better than a comparable car that takes more skill to drive fast.

    Stock for stock, I don't how an Evo could pull more g's on the skidpad than a Camaro SS. The SS has wider tires, much lower center of gravity, probably a lower ride height. The skidpad is about grip, not so much about handling.

    As for actual handling, like a road course or auto-x, I think a Camaro SS with some basic handling mods (sub frame connectors, bilsteins, STB, performance tires) could easily match an Evo. The Evo is a tall 4 door sedan with a higher center of gravity, its about 5 inches narrower than an SS, it has skinnier tires, and its derived from an economy car. I don't see how it handles so amazingly, it just seems easy to drive.

  9. #69
    LoudMouth SStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Westminster/Sykesville, Maryland
    Age
    28
    Posts
    512

    Red
    2000 Trans Am

    I beat a Evo 8 with a intake, BOV, and exhaust. rollin from around 30-35

  10. #70
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    I beat a Evo 8 with a intake, BOV, and exhaust. rollin from around 30-35
    You should have. They are only ~230WHP stock, so if you're stock then you have a 60-70WHP advantage over him, plus a much better powerband.

  11. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Its not so much the actual handling numbers, its more about how easy to car is to drive. Evos are very easy to drive fast, and are very predictable at the limit, giving the impression that they handle better than a comparable car that takes more skill to drive fast.

    Stock for stock, I don't how an Evo could pull more g's on the skidpad than a Camaro SS. The SS has wider tires, much lower center of gravity, probably a lower ride height. The skidpad is about grip, not so much about handling.

    As for actual handling, like a road course or auto-x, I think a Camaro SS with some basic handling mods (sub frame connectors, bilsteins, STB, performance tires) could easily match an Evo. The Evo is a tall 4 door sedan with a higher center of gravity, its about 5 inches narrower than an SS, it has skinnier tires, and its derived from an economy car. I don't see how it handles so amazingly, it just seems easy to drive.

    Have you driven one? I have and I can tell you first hand that they handle like a big go kart. The evo is a straight up race car it's not derived from an economy car it's derived from a rally car. You can drive them very hard and they are totally predictable. Yes they are easier to drive because of AWD but dont' take anything away from them on a road course they are very quick and make excellent track day cars. I seriously doubt an average driver with a slightly modded supension in an SS could keep up with an average driver in an EVO on a road course.

    You guys should respect EVOs a little more. I mean sure stock they are not as quick as our cars in a straight line but with a TBE, intake and tune they are 12 second cars. Skid pads don't mean a damn thing lap times do. I'm not trying to take anything away from our cars I love them but I'm a fan of the EVOs just drive one and you will be too.

  12. #72
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BURBANK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Its not so much the actual handling numbers, its more about how easy to car is to drive. Evos are very easy to drive fast, and are very predictable at the limit, giving the impression that they handle better than a comparable car that takes more skill to drive fast.

    Stock for stock, I don't how an Evo could pull more g's on the skidpad than a Camaro SS. The SS has wider tires, much lower center of gravity, probably a lower ride height. The skidpad is about grip, not so much about handling.

    As for actual handling, like a road course or auto-x, I think a Camaro SS with some basic handling mods (sub frame connectors, bilsteins, STB, performance tires) could easily match an Evo. The Evo is a tall 4 door sedan with a higher center of gravity, its about 5 inches narrower than an SS, it has skinnier tires, and its derived from an economy car. I don't see how it handles so amazingly, it just seems easy to drive.
    i absolutely agree with this, a f-bod with suspension mods based on handling should be able to outhandle almost anything....
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Its not so much the actual handling numbers, its more about how easy to car is to drive. Evos are very easy to drive fast, and are very predictable at the limit, giving the impression that they handle better than a comparable car that takes more skill to drive fast.

    As for actual handling, like a road course or auto-x, I think a Camaro SS with some basic handling mods (sub frame connectors, bilsteins, STB, performance tires) could easily match an Evo. The Evo is a tall 4 door sedan with a higher center of gravity, its about 5 inches narrower than an SS, it has skinnier tires, and its derived from an economy car. I don't see how it handles so amazingly, it just seems easy to drive.
    The EVO does handle THAT GOOD. When you drive it, it gives the impression it handles THAT GOOD because it does and it's easy to drive it near the limit, which makes it very fun. The numbers dont lie. Just about every single editor of any car magazine absolutely raves about the handling for a reason, not just because its easy to drive. The EVO is tall, but its ride height is not. The chassis is stiffended over 50% more than that of the regular Lancer. It also has a tight streering ratio, forged suspension, Brembo brakes, an advanced AWD system and great tires stock.

    I gurantee no Camaro with some tires, subrame conn and shocks will even come close to matching the EVO around a road couse (given the same power). You might win the roll races but come on the road course or auto-x and you step on the EVO's territory. The EVO has better brakes, tighter steering and more grip.

    Now, Im not saying you canot make a Camaro handle incredible and do some wonderous things, but again, we're talking about going against a STOCK EVO.

    Throw some corner balanced coilvers and a pair of R-compound 275s on all fours and then you'd see what the EVO can really do around turns. Its purrrty.

  14. #74
    Member jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    186

    2008 Caliber SRT 4
    1998 Z28/ 1993 Talon awd

    Stock for stock on a road course or auto-x the Evo hands down winner.

  15. #75
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Have you driven one? I have and I can tell you first hand that they handle like a big go kart. The evo is a straight up race car it's not derived from an economy car it's derived from a rally car.
    Yes, I've driven one. Yes, its derived from the Lancer economy car. Same damn chassis, just with modifications to make it "high performance". Saying an Evo isn't a Lancer is like saying a Cobra isn't a Mustang.

    You can drive them very hard and they are totally predictable. Yes they are easier to drive because of AWD but dont' take anything away from them on a road course they are very quick and make excellent track day cars. I seriously doubt an average driver with a slightly modded supension in an SS could keep up with an average driver in an EVO on a road course.
    I'd like to see what would happen, professional driver vs. professional driver on a road course, Evo vs. Camaro SS. I think an SS with suspension mods and a capable driver, combined with its large power advantage stock for stock, would definitely be able to beat an Evo around a road course.

    You guys should respect EVOs a little more.
    No thanks. You can do as you like, I have no respect for 4 cylinder "performance" cars derived from economy sedans, personally.

    I mean sure stock they are not as quick as our cars in a straight line but with a TBE, intake and tune they are 12 second cars. Skid pads don't mean a damn thing lap times do. I'm not trying to take anything away from our cars I love them but I'm a fan of the EVOs just drive one and you will be too.
    I drove one. Not a fan. The car felt cheap (Mitsubishi, big surprise there), the trans didn't shift with any precision, there was no power or torque below 3K, and it didnt have any real power up top either. Plus the engine sounded very lame. Not everyone shares the same opinion as you do, don't assume.

    And by "12 second cars" you should specify high 12 second cars (i.e., 12.9), you aren't going to be running anything close to 12 flat with an I/E tune on a car that only has 230WHP stock.

  16. #76
    Senior Member jrc1122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    1,053

    Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Yes, I've driven one. Yes, its derived from the Lancer economy car. Same damn chassis, just with modifications to make it "high performance". Saying an Evo isn't a Lancer is like saying a Cobra isn't a Mustang.



    I'd like to see what would happen, professional driver vs. professional driver on a road course, Evo vs. Camaro SS. I think an SS with suspension mods and a capable driver, combined with its large power advantage stock for stock, would definitely be able to beat an Evo around a road course.



    No thanks. You can do as you like, I have no respect for 4 cylinder "performance" cars derived from economy sedans, personally.



    I drove one. Not a fan. The car felt cheap (Mitsubishi, big surprise there), the trans didn't shift with any precision, there was no power or torque below 3K, and it didnt have any real power up top either. Plus the engine sounded very lame. Not everyone shares the same opinion as you do, don't assume.

    And by "12 second cars" you should specify high 12 second cars (i.e., 12.9), you aren't going to be running anything close to 12 flat with an I/E tune on a car that only has 230WHP stock.

    Yawn !!

    Some people cough***Wesman*** cough*** - absolutely hates the EVO or the STI, he will never agree they are better at anything.. You could say they have more doors, and he would argue about that too. You could argue that it wins 0-60 and he would argue that.

    So take him out the equation and look at results done by magizines, who typically have the same level of drivers and.....

    The EVO's numbers look MUCH better than the Fbody.

    Saying an Evo is crap because of how many cylinders is it has ridiculous and really doesn't even deserve a rebutal. But I will use the old comparison of a Viper/ F body.

    That is like a Viper constinately saying we don't have the "right" amount of cylinders.

    I think people get angry because so called "crappy" mitsubishi got

    280/2 =140 HP per liter.

    And the fbody gets 57 hp per liter. 325/5.7 = 57.01

    As far as evo/ lancer comparison. I dare anyone to buy a plain ole lancer- slap a 20 lb of boost turbo on it, and see what happens. Yeah they are just like a lancer.
    PS I love my FBODY.

  17. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    Yawn !!

    Some people cough***Wesman*** cough*** - absolutely hates the EVO or the STI, he will never agree they are better at anything.. You could say they have more doors, and he would argue about that too. You could argue that it wins 0-60 and he would argue that.

    So take him out the equation and look at results done by magizines, who typically have the same level of drivers and.....

    The EVO's numbers look MUCH better than the Fbody.

    Saying an Evo is crap because of how many cylinders is it has ridiculous and really doesn't even deserve a rebutal. But I will use the old comparison of a Viper/ F body.

    That is like a Viper constinately saying we don't have the "right" amount of cylinders.

    I think people get angry because so called "crappy" mitsubishi got

    280/2 =140 HP per liter.

    And the fbody gets 57 hp per liter. 325/5.7 = 57.01

    As far as evo/ lancer comparison. I dare anyone to buy a plain ole lancer- slap a 20 lb of boost turbo on it, and see what happens. Yeah they are just like a lancer.
    PS I love my FBODY.
    Right it's obvious he has no idea what he's talking about just going to bag on the EVO because he doesn't like it. Lancer and EVO don't have crap in common it's like saying a V6 camaro is just like a Z28 or a 4cyl mustang is a cobra. They share nothing but a platform and few interior pieces.

  18. #78
    Senior Member slims00ls1z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,212

    2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

    Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    280/2 =140 HP per liter.
    And the fbody gets 57 hp per liter. 325/5.7 = 57.01
    No doubt the evo is a fun vehicle to drive and i'll not bash it but im sorry the whole HP per liter issue is a ricer derived excuse. I don't care if it makes .05 or 200 per liter the only thing that impresses me is how much it puts out (which the evo does quite well for a 4 cylinder so this isn't a knock at the evo ) reguardless of whether its a 15.0L v12, or a .5L I4, and what can it do in the vehicle its installed in and its potential output.

  19. #79
    Senior Member camarojunky74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    corona ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,258

    white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

    wow looks like a opened a huge can of worms, my intention was not to start a forum war but it deffinaetly looks that way, all i have to say is i have not spent much time at a auto x track or in the canyons of so cal, but i do know one thing the only car to beat mine where i live was and evo pretty heavily modded. lol and whenever i think of the next thing to do my mission is to be faster than him.

    but i do know the guy and i have seen footage oh him at a local track and mild to stock f bodys and goats give him a real good run for his money. one time in particular with him and a 6.0 goat, he couldnt catch the guy, but this is getting off subject cause a goat is irs and has more horsepower than an f body stock does but yeah. thats all i got.. sorry

  20. #80
    Senior Member jrc1122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    1,053

    Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

    EVO haters make me laugh!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Called called back from furlough thank god
    By Jays00ss in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 11:46 AM
  2. Got called out..
    By blackhawk01 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 04:05 PM
  3. got called out
    By blackhawk01 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 01:08 PM
  4. Called out by 80 something TA
    By robjobiv in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 06:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •