Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Being Called out by a Evo

This is a discussion on Being Called out by a Evo within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by EE1983 The "MR" model is no faster than the regular IX model or the RS model. They ...

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    The "MR" model is no faster than the regular IX model or the RS model. They all have the same power. The MR just has a 6speed trans and different suspension, which actually hurts it 1/4 performance since you must shift to 5th. The fastest of the bunch by a slight margin is actually the stripped down RS model because it is around 120lbs lighter. Here is what the models look like:

IX RS
    IX
    IX w/SSL package (sunroof, leather, etc)
    IX MR (6speed, bilstein shocks, etc)
    my neighbor has a white mr and when we drag race its too close to call, but i have another friend with a evo 9 he put a cam down pipe bov boost controller a tune and he gets me by 3 or 4 every time i will not be able to touch him until i put my other rear end in and dr, probably a stall to ill see.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

IX RS
    IX
    IX w/SSL package (sunroof, leather, etc)
    IX MR (6speed, bilstein shocks, etc)
    that mean that only the MR has the 6 speed?... I thought they all did

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

No just the mr does the rest are 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    that mean that only the MR has the 6 speed?... I thought they all did
    Correct, only the MR has the 6speed. However, you will find most people do not like it since the 4th gear is very short and causes you to shift to 5th for the end of the quarter mile (just like STi's). Also, the 6speed has a weak 3rd and 4th gear. The 5-speed is deamed superior by just about everyone. Contrary to popular belief, with the 6speed you do not get better gas mileage on the highway because the 6th gear is actually shorter than the 5speed's 5th.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Correct, only the MR has the 6speed. However, you will find most people do not like it since the 4th gear is very short and causes you to shift to 5th for the end of the quarter mile (just like STi's). Also, the 6speed has a weak 3rd and 4th gear. The 5-speed is deamed superior by just about everyone. Contrary to popular belief, with the 6speed you do not get better gas mileage on the highway because the 6th gear is actually shorter than the 5speed's 5th.
    wow... I guess... you live and you learn... I've always thought that they all had 6 speeds... maybe I've been thinking about Sti's every time I look at a EVO... LOL... well it would seem to me...I've only ever raced 5 speeds then...

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I dont know if i would ever buy a sti i mean the way the pistons are mounted if you ever do anything major to the heads you would always have to pull the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    I dont know if i would ever buy a sti i mean the way the pistons are mounted if you ever do anything major to the heads you would always have to pull the motor.

Yeah, STi's are very difficult to work on. If you have ever seen the engine bay youll know what I mean.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Yeah, STi's are very difficult to work on. If you have ever seen the engine bay youll know what I mean.
    you should tell that to the guys who have the record for fastest Street Legal...in PR... 9.4 or something... in a STi... (let's see if I ever get my car to be that fast)

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I have many times my good friend also has a wrx that is semi moddified it ran a 13.6 which isnt too bad for a wrx.

you should tell that to the guys who have the record for fastest Street Legal...in PR... 9.4 or something... in a STi... (let's see if I ever get my car to be that fast)
    I didnt say they cant go fast, I just said they are difficult to work on. The engine bays are incredibly cramped and doing things like changing spark plugs is a hassle. If I had one, I would definitely pay someone else to work on it.

Here is an engine bay shot of one:

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

it all looks so cramped in there

it all looks so cramped in there
    Exactly. Couple that with a boxer engine, you have some real fun on your hands LOL

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Fastest street legal what? Cause i have seen cars that were legal run faster than a 9.7.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

wasnt the hot rod power tour last year a street car ran into the high 8's if im not mistaken, it was a blown and alocohol injected willys' i think

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Fastest street legal what? Cause i have seen cars that were legal run faster than a 9.7.
    This is in Puerto Rico... you know... Small Little Island...population 4 Million... a Colony of the USA... for ever to be debated wether it should be a State or not...

Over here Legal Street Cars don't break the 9's... 9.4 being the fastest.... Import at least... tracks are Slick...so it's hard to get grip in anything

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I assume it was a 2006 (EVO IX). If he had a flash on it (which typically adds 35-45whp), he could have went those times and easily been in the 12s if it were a 1/4 track. An new EVO IX with just a reflash will make between 300-310whp on a Dynojet.
    I agree that a stock one would never run those times, but lets not get carried away with the numbers. Its unreasonable to claim that a tune adds 60-70WHP to an otherwise bone stock car, unless that tune involves upping the boost levels by a lot. In that case, anything is possible of course.
    Last edited by Wesman; 06-20-2007 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I agree that a stock one would never run those times, but lets not get carried away with the numbers. Its unreasonable to claim that a tune adds 60-70WHP to an otherwise bone stock car, unless that tune involves upping the boost levels by a lot. In that case, anything is possible of course.
    I did not say it adds 60-70whp with just the flash. They "technically" can add a boatload but that would mean running more than factory boost (23-24). The flash itself does not UP the boost beyond stock level, it merely prevents the boost taper. The max boost bone stock is 20.8 or so which then falls to 16psi after 6000rpm. The flash allows you to maintain that boost to redline, which drastically increases top end as one would imagine.

Now if you get a flash, and that manual boost controller for $80, which I highly reccomend, you can add a ton of power that the EVO VIIIs could not accomplish. The stock turbo however will only hold 19psi to redline.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

There was a white Evo IX around here that was stock and he was quick but he got that flash and started beating cars we didnt think he could. This STI was killing him before, but after the flash, tables turned. I was impressed.

gold
    2000 honder accord

My buddy Has a blue Nine with a turbo back, boost controller, and a flash I think he makes like 345 to the wheels. Real fast car for only 6-700 in mods.

He is only 19 too. But he is a pro BMX racer soo...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew rs View Post
    My buddy Has a blue Nine with a turbo back, boost controller, and a flash I think he makes like 345 to the wheels. Real fast car for only 6-700 in mods.

He is only 19 too. But he is a pro BMX racer soo...
    Yeah with those mods (which are relatively inexpensive) can net you 330-340whp. 345 is a tad high, he might have a lower pipe or something else to get to that. Or he dyno'd in cold weather!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information