Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

beat an sti from a dig!!!

This is a discussion on beat an sti from a dig!!! within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Wesman Let me explain this in terms of reality, not magazine numbers, which suggest that both cars ...

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Let me explain this in terms of reality, not magazine numbers, which suggest that both cars are close in terms of acceleration.

Stock for stock, the LS1 has a 70WHP advantage over the STI, and hugely better power and torque curves. When riding in either car, you can feel the difference immediately, the STi feels positively slow compared to an M6 LS1. So if the STI doesn't launch at 6,000RPM or if its a roll race, its not even a comparison. We're talking multiple car lenghts and still pulling.

From a dig, the STI can keep up if its launched at redline. That gives it a huge jump, and by the time the LS1 goes flying past, its right around 1/4 mile. Thats why their 1/4 mile times are close. However, if you look at trap speed, its about a 5-6MPH difference, which is huge in terms of actual acceleration.

The STI gains all its acceleration on the launch. Once you're moving, the car isn't fast. This is apparent in its 5-60MPH time of around 6.5 seconds, without the launch its slow. LS1 is only a couple tenths off its 0-60 time in the 5-60 test, because you dont need to launch it like an asshole, and its got a fat torque curve so its doesn't fall off the power at lower RPM's in 1st gear. You hit the throttle and it goes, no turbo lag, no bogging, no bullshit.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not fry my clutch and risk grenading my entire drivetrain to run 13's.

Hope that helps explain the differences.
    Ahh ok thanks for that explanation.. That clarifies a few things

So put some DR's on the LS1 and that will give them less of an advantage on launches... right?

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    Ahh ok thanks for that explanation.. That clarifies a few things

So put some DR's on the LS1 and that will give them less of an advantage on launches... right?
    right, but it will also destroy your rear end

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

well i'm not saying launch from 3000+, i mean just from like 1k

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    well i'm not saying launch from 3000+, i mean just from like 1k
    So basically just ease off the clutch slightly above idle and pin the throttle?? That would probably work pretty well for a clean launch, especially if you had some 4.10's. The LS1 has plenty of low end to get it going from a dig with lots of available traction.

You'd probably be fine launching on DR's up to about 2500RPM, which would give you a nice launch, but above that I wouldn't be so confident in the 7.5".

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

so dr's with a nice stall and stis have no chance?

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    So basically just ease off the clutch slightly above idle and pin the throttle?? That would probably work pretty well for a clean launch, especially if you had some 4.10's. The LS1 has plenty of low end to get it going from a dig with lots of available traction.

You'd probably be fine launching on DR's up to about 2500RPM, which would give you a nice launch, but above that I wouldn't be so confident in the 7.5".
    yes that's how i've always launched it, i've never reved it up. It's my daily driver and I REALLY don't wanna switch out the rear end (never take it to the track)

Plus, I'll be putting on some 315 nittos and new rims within a week or two, and I have 4.10's in my room waiting to be installed, so I don't think I'll have a problem

But I will toy around with it and see how high I can bring it up to before I break traction too much.. Just to find out the best launching RPM for my car...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information