Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mystic Teal
    2000 Z28

Beat an LT1 WS6 but it cost me my license

I have a 2000 Z28 A4 basically stock with 3.73's and a Predator tune, my buddy has a '97 WS6 with an LT4 intake and Throttle Body, LT headers, Borla Cat-back and a tune. We were driving late at night on what we thought was a deserted highway connector when we caught a red light. Of course we both took off on green, I spun the tires hard and he got out on me by about a car and half but around 50mph we were dead even and around 100mph I had at least two cars on him. That's when the cop who had been following us with his lights off turned on his lights and siren. I hit the brakes but my buddy didn't see him right away and kept going. The cop flew past me and eventually pulled over my buddy down the road. I went past them going about 35mph thinking the cop would flag me over or something but he never even looked up. My buddy got a $300 fine and a six month license suspension and I thought I had gotten away with it until about a week later when I got a summons in the mail. The cop had written down my plate number and I got the same thing $300 fine and a six month license suspension. I can't cry about it because I know I was in the wrong but six months seems pretty steep. It's the mandatory minimum for PA Code 3367 racing on highways. So I guess I got a kill but it sure wasn't worth it.
    Last edited by mystictealZ28; 08-20-2010 at 09:25 AM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

That sucks to hear. Had a cop pull that stealth tactic on me once before, I had even checked where he was parked and didn't see the damn thing.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Go to court, with a mail ticket like that and the cop probably didnt have a radar number on you the ticket is easily fightable. Or atleast get it bumped down so you dont lose your liscense.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by mystictealZ28 View Post
    I have a 2000 Z28 A4 basically stock with 3.73's and a Predator tune, my buddy has a '97 WS6 with an LT4 intake and Throttle Body, LT headers, Borla Cat-back and a tune. We were driving late at night on what we thought was a deserted highway connector when we caught a red light. Of course we both took off on green, I spun the tires hard and he got out on me by about a car and half but around 50mph we were dead even and around 100mph I had at least two cars on him. That's when the cop who had been following us with his lights off turned on his lights and siren. I hit the brakes but my buddy didn't see him right away and kept going. The cop flew past me and eventually pulled over my buddy down the road. I went past them going about 35mph thinking the cop would flag me over or something but he never even looked up. My buddy got a $300 fine and a six month license suspension and I thought I had gotten away with it until about a week later when I got a summons in the mail. The cop had written down my plate number and I got the same thing $300 fine and a six month license suspension. I can't cry about it because I know I was in the wrong but six months seems pretty steep. It's the mandatory minimum for PA Code 3367 racing on highways. So I guess I got a kill but it sure wasn't worth it.
    Join the club.. I lost mine for a year for speeding, not even racing. my first ticket too

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Go to court, with a mail ticket like that and the cop probably didnt have a radar number on you the ticket is easily fightable. Or atleast get it bumped down so you dont lose your liscense.

Not true here in Pennsylvania. The officer can clock an individual with radar or his speedometer. Local police officers may utilize Vascar or their speedometer. The courts also allow an officer to testify to an estimated speed in support of certain offenses. Unfortunately, this is an offense that they do not have much tolerance for.

OP: Where in PA did you get nailed?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    Join the club.. I lost mine for a year for speeding, not even racing. my first ticket too
    you must have been going at least 100
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    Very easy to do with these cars.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2001 WS6

i got banned from canada for 3 years, and lost my car for 6 months doin that. def isnt worth it...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    well i know that ha but i was saying that must be why he lost his license. he got caught doing atleast 100.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by mystictealZ28 View Post
    Dude, why didn't you bust a u and go the other way! That's what my friend did when they got us street racing (he went after me cause i was the fastest, he admitted to that when he stopped me ) cop was pretty cool and only gave me speeding and no front plate tickets, I was scared shitless and haven't street raced since

Probably lucky your car wasn't impounded and crushed. Some states are pretty rediculous about enforcement.
    Some states will suspend your license just for speeding if you are 25 over the limit.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Probably lucky your car wasn't impounded and crushed. Some states are pretty rediculous about enforcement.
    Some states will suspend your license just for speeding if you are 25 over the limit.
    Was thinking the same thing,good thing you don't live in california!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    Dude, why didn't you bust a u and go the other way! That's what my friend did when they got us street racing (he went after me cause i was the fastest, he admitted to that when he stopped me ) cop was pretty cool and only gave me speeding and no front plate tickets, I was scared shitless and haven't street raced since
    The cop was following them, hence he already had his license plate number...

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

you can fight that they can't prove it was you driving! It could have been a friend of yours driving it could have been your dad or anyone else. just because it is registered under your name doesn't mean you were driving it. cops will send you this anyways cause most people don't know to fight it and will just pay the fine and do the hard time. they will basically always do it just to hassle you and give you a point that i can do this to you. i wouldn't worry about it you should get out of it easily talk to a lawyer and he will tell you that you have nothing to worry about and what to do and get out of it so you don't lose any of that and have nothing on your license. i've seen this done lots and they just take it to court and they get it thrown out cause there is no proof. even though you did it there is no proof that the cops has that it was you driving. Unless he has a picture of you driving all he will have is his notes saying that a man was driving a camaro racing another car at a high rate of speed licence plate number XXXXXXX with the color of the car probably and it might say a male driving depends if he seen you or not.
    Last edited by brendan.9; 08-22-2010 at 07:24 PM.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by brendan.9 View Post
    you can fight that they can't prove it was you driving!

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Agreed, claim you didnt have the car that day. They have to prove it was you in the car. The burden of proof isnt on you.

Mystic Teal
    2000 Z28

I really appreciate all the advice and sympathy and I don't feel as bad after hearing how much worse it could have been. I thought about telling the magistrate it wasn't me driving but the local state representative's office told me the fine and suspension goes to the registered owner of the vehical unless I can provide the name and information of the individual who was driving for them to investigate. I can't really think of anyone I would throw under the bus like that although it would be funny. This seems to be the opposite of innocent until proven guilty but I really don't have the cash to get a lawyer so I just bit the bullet like a dummy and pled guilty and paid the fine. I live in North West PA and the snow will be flying soon enough anyway. Thanks again for all the info everyone.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

In Ohio, they are trying to pass a law where you would've lost your car as well. You will also lose your car there if they think you accelerated too fast from a stop light, or were in a crowd of people who were watching street racing.

You Ohio people better wake up and make sure this gets modified, or some dumbass cop having a bad day can decide you took off too fast from a stop light and sieze your ride.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    yeah 115 is usually frowned upon.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Unfort. it wasn't even in an F-bod (cause i don't have one yet). in a bmw 325, but yeah still not too hard. And before anyone freaks out, I was the only car on the road @ 1am. Not something I would do on a crowded road.. Just wasn't thinkin straight

Thread Information