blue
    1999 z28

Cool Beat an 03 Lightning

Hey Folks,

Gotta share a road kill story and get some feedback! I was cruising along in my 99 z-28 which I recently installed a comp cam, mac headers, LS-6 intake, and patriot heads. This punk in a 03 Lightning blows by me while weaving in and out of traffic like a damn fool. Anyway, I turned onto a cross street and this idiot is riding my back side. Needless to say, I was pretty PO about his driving and allowed the dumbass to get along side me. Conveniently, we both ended up at the front of the next stop light and he rolls down his window. I ask him real casually what he has while keeping an eye to the light. He gets to speak for about two seconds with his hot looking girlfriend and buddy looking on. It didn't take rocket science to figure he wanted to race and thought he had a fast vehicle. Needless to say, I nailved my M6 with its short throw shifter and left this guy behind by about four car lengths. I've never seen a guy so embarassed when he finally crept up to me at the next light. To add insult to injury, his hot girlfriend was laughing hysterically at the guy. Since I was at my turnoff to my subdivision, I gave the guy the advice to stop being a dumbass, flicked him the bird, and blew his girlfriend a kiss(which she was nice to return back).

Just for grins, how fast are lightnings and what type of horsepower do they put out? I haven't raced in over four years and have really refrained from it because we've had too many inexperienced, overconfident drivers get themselves and others killed here in San Antonio. I'm not going to lie, this kid needed to be taught a lesson and I burned his ass.

In A Jesus Christ pose.... on the banks of the Thames with Ratty and Mole.

hunter Green
    92 Camaro RS 350 Special

Ill Be curious as to what ZAPFOOL will have to say about this one, aslo no offense kid but ur coming across as a wee bit cocky

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

what am I the board's Lightning expert?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

^

AWESOME kill man, best i've read in a while, i cant believe she blew the kiss back, thats the best part

In A Jesus Christ pose.... on the banks of the Thames with Ratty and Mole.

hunter Green
    92 Camaro RS 350 Special

yea u seem to be the leader in that area :P

Charleston, SC, but originally from Gainesville, FL

SILVER
    2002 Z28

Sweet story. It wasn't street-racing it was educating (as I like to put it).

I have seen some quick LIGHTNINGs and have been part of a little run with one that had the KB, exhaust and pulleys on it and he pulled one car on me and I just couldn't close it and that was before the heads and cam and LTs setup, but for a truck they are pretty quick.

Sometimes late at night you have to just show folks what's what.

blue
    1999 z28

It will probably be a long time before I race again. What sparked me to race this guy was the way that he was driving. Bottom line, no one wants their car being hit because some moron cant control their vehicle. I put a new paint job and rims on the car about two months ago. The mature thing to have done since I was a good 18 years older than this kid was to have let it go. But let's be real-people tend to get pretty upset when theres a chance that another person might take out their car.

blue
    1999 z28

What surprised me what how the lightning handled in the close quarter traffic. I wouldn't expect a truck to handle like that, but it was sticking to the road.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

NICE KILL..thatlll teach'em

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

Thats not cocky at ALL!! Thats just knowing what you have!!!

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ZAPFOOL!! View Post
    what am I the board's Lightning expert?

Uh, yeah.

You are the only Lightning owner on here that I know. Plus you seem to always be around when fast trucks come up in conversation.

Seeing as you DO have a fast truck and all. ahem 499 ft/lbs ring a bell?

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by snakedigger View Post
    Hey Folks,

Gotta share a road kill story and get some feedback! I was cruising along in my 99 z-28 which I recently installed a comp cam, mac headers, LS-6 intake, and patriot heads. This punk in a 03 Lightning blows by me while weaving in and out of traffic like a damn fool. Anyway, I turned onto a cross street and this idiot is riding my back side. Needless to say, I was pretty PO about his driving and allowed the dumbass to get along side me. Conveniently, we both ended up at the front of the next stop light and he rolls down his window. I ask him real casually what he has while keeping an eye to the light. He gets to speak for about two seconds with his hot looking girlfriend and buddy looking on. It didn't take rocket science to figure he wanted to race and thought he had a fast vehicle. Needless to say, I nailved my M6 with its short throw shifter and left this guy behind by about four car lengths. I've never seen a guy so embarassed when he finally crept up to me at the next light. To add insult to injury, his hot girlfriend was laughing hysterically at the guy. Since I was at my turnoff to my subdivision, I gave the guy the advice to stop being a dumbass, flicked him the bird, and blew his girlfriend a kiss(which she was nice to return back).

Just for grins, how fast are lightnings and what type of horsepower do they put out? I haven't raced in over four years and have really refrained from it because we've had too many inexperienced, overconfident drivers get themselves and others killed here in San Antonio. I'm not going to lie, this kid needed to be taught a lesson and I burned his ass.
    The lightning has 380 hp and 450 ft-lbs stock with a supercharged 5.4L v8. I test drove one at a dealership. 7k miles and white with blue stripes, it was fucking sick hearing that supercharger whine. Stock, they'll get 13 seconds in the 1/4 mile and not stock.... who the fuck knows
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    The lightning has 380 hp and 450 ft-lbs stock with a supercharged 5.4L v8. I test drove one at a dealership. 7k miles and white with blue stripes, it was fucking sick hearing that supercharger whine. Stock, they'll get 13 seconds in the 1/4 mile and not stock.... who the fuck knows
    I doi....ok time for the knowledge.....its going to take some work to get a L to hang with a head/cam ls1......most likely a 6 pound lower with a ported eaton would make it close....that would give ya 15 to 16 psi...myself I am running a 4 pound lower on the stock blower...making 12 psi and running 13 flats on street tires with 2.00 60 fts. The blower whine on these things is addicting, heck I find myself imitating the noise when I am bored. Guess my fav thing would have to be the torque.....I make 499 ft/lbs @ 3000 rpms......it feels fast damn quick out of the hole.....Ive had a couple of people who werent paying attention slam their head on the back glass.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    lol, awesome story man
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

talking about fast trucks.. try the ' DURAMAX', those guys are getting mighty popular, running 12's and mostly 13's ... not bad for a 7000lb. veh. with plenty of torque!!

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Im a GM guy all the way but i respect those lightnings, If i had to have a fast, fairly cheap(used), newer truck id diffinitly buy one.

Thread Information