Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Auto F-Bodies, how do u race? Also some general f-body qs

This is a discussion on Auto F-Bodies, how do u race? Also some general f-body qs within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Hey this is a q for all the f-body owners out there with an auto transmission n who do roll ...

  1. #1

    Auto F-Bodies, how do u race? Also some general f-body qs

    Hey this is a q for all the f-body owners out there with an auto transmission n who do roll or dig races all the time.

    Do you guys use the 1, 2 ,3 on the shifter thing?
    Wht do those mean anyway?
    Do u jus leave it in drive?
    Wht do u do if its in 2nd when u try to go from a roll?

    I need some tips cuz i know there are better ways out there than to hope ur in right gear on the auto when racin from a roll.

    please post heh

    Ado

  2. #2
    Support HR 1146 jking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Age
    43
    Posts
    495
    2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

    Just leave it in drive.

    GM makes pretty good auto trannys for stock shit.

  3. #3
    Member JattGunMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    cali
    Age
    31
    Posts
    130

    black
    2000 ss

    how bout racin in a manual ?i dont expect any replys just thought id try

  4. #4
    Wht do u do if its in like 2nd or 3rd or somethin when goin from a 20 roll n its slow on the start

  5. #5
    Support HR 1146 jking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Age
    43
    Posts
    495
    2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by White 95 T/A
    Wht do u do if its in like 2nd or 3rd or somethin when goin from a 20 roll n its slow on the start
    Then I would start in 1, 2 or 3, but shift to D as soon as you hit it.

    If you try to shift at the redline, you will usually hit the limiter and lose time.

  6. #6
    So put the shifter into 1 then 2 then Drive or 1 then drive when around orange line? Also when i turn on performance mode on my ta it shifts at redline by itself jus the 2nd or 3rd gear rolls mess me up bad

    STUPID Q but does 1 mean 1st gear 2 mean 2nd and 3 rd? lol

  7. #7
    Support HR 1146 jking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Age
    43
    Posts
    495
    2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by White 95 T/A
    So put the shifter into 1 then 2 then Drive or 1 then drive when around orange line? Also when i turn on performance mode on my ta it shifts at redline by itself jus the 2nd or 3rd gear rolls mess me up bad

    STUPID Q but does 1 mean 1st gear 2 mean 2nd and 3 rd? lol
    Yes on the 1 for 1st, 2 for 2nd.

    I don't know about the performance mode or even if the tranny shifts the same in an LT1 when compared to an LS1.

    But if I did roll races in my A4 LS1 cars, I would usually start in the gear I wanted to be in, and then shifted about 1k before the redline. It would usually shift before it hit the limiter.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jking
    Yes on the 1 for 1st, 2 for 2nd.

    I don't know about the performance mode or even if the tranny shifts the same in an LT1 when compared to an LS1.

    But if I did roll races in my A4 LS1 cars, I would usually start in the gear I wanted to be in, and then shifted about 1k before the redline. It would usually shift before it hit the limiter.
    So start in D then if i race shift to 1 then shift to 2 about 1k before redline then same from 2 to 3 and then 3 to drive? do i have to get off the gas every time i shift or jus go?

    btw man thank u so much for helpin me

  9. #9
    Support HR 1146 jking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Age
    43
    Posts
    495
    2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by White 95 T/A
    So start in D then if i race shift to 1 then shift to 2 about 1k before redline then same from 2 to 3 and then 3 to drive? do i have to get off the gas every time i shift or jus go?

    btw man thank u so much for helpin me

    Keep the gas floored, you don't have to let up.


    If you are racing from a stand still, just leave it in D.

    If you are racing from a roll, leave it in D, unless you are at a MPH where the tranny won't kick down to a low enough gear.

    Then start in the gear you want to be in.

    For instance, (and this is for conversations sake. I don't exactly remember the exact shift points on my 2002 Z28 that I got rid of over a year ago...)

    Say if I wanted to go from a 20mph roll, and I started in D. Even though the car could safely go to 1st, the tranny would select 2nd, putting me at too low of an RPM.

    So what I would do is just put it in "1", and run it to 20mph. I would punch it in "1", and shift to "D" about 1k before the redline. The A4 in that car would automatically shift at the redline when in "D".

    I would just leave it in "D" from that point on and let the tranny shift to 3rd and 4th.

    I hope that makes sense. It's kind of hard to explain over the internet...


    The bottom line is that "D" is always your best bet, unless you find yourself at a certain speed where it won't kick down to a low enough gear. Then you improvise by selecting your gear manually. Always let "D" make your upshifts when possible.

    As long as we are talking about stock or mildly modded cars here..

  10. #10
    So when i race from a roll shift down to 1 then 1k before redline go to Drive n let it shift by itself from then on?

  11. #11
    Support HR 1146 jking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Age
    43
    Posts
    495
    2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by White 95 T/A
    So when i race from a roll shift down to 1 then 1k before redline go to Drive n let it shift by itself from then on?

    That depends on the speed, but yeah, that's the general idea. Don't go grabbing "1" at 70mph or anything.


    The main thing is to learn your car.

    If you can punch it in "D", and the tranny finds the right gear, then I wouldn't worry about manually shifting it.

    In fact, I would do a lot of experimenting with speed vs. RPM's before I started trying to manually shift it.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jking
    That depends on the speed, but yeah, that's the general idea. Don't go grabbing "1" at 70mph or anything.


    The main thing is to learn your car.

    If you can punch it in "D", and the tranny finds the right gear, then I wouldn't worry about manually shifting it.

    In fact, I would do a lot of experimenting with speed vs. RPM's before I started trying to manually shift it.
    Ok i will test it out a lil tomorrow wit a buddy of mine.
    BTW Can i break my tranny by goin to 1 then to Drive 1k before redline?

  13. #13
    Support HR 1146 jking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Age
    43
    Posts
    495
    2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by White 95 T/A
    Ok i will test it out a lil tomorrow wit a buddy of mine.
    BTW Can i break my tranny by goin to 1 then to Drive 1k before redline?

    No. It will shift normally. If it is a slower shifting tranny, it may hit the rev limiter, and you don't want to make that a habit.

    You CAN break something by grabbing "1" or "2" while rolling too fast though, or hitting "R" when upshifting..

    Make some runs from a stand still in "D" and watch how the car shifts through the first 3 gears. If it shifts out of 1st and into 2nd at 40 mph (or whatever speed), then you should be able to manually shift it into 1st at any speed under 40 mph (or whatever speed it shifted into 2nd in while in "D").


    Like I said, learn your car.

  14. #14
    Will do bud thank you so much for the info.

    Also does going into 1st help alot going from a 20 or so roll rather than jus drive n bein in 2nd or 3rd ?

    And i can jus stay on the gas right asi shift?

  15. #15
    Support HR 1146 jking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Age
    43
    Posts
    495
    2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

    I've never owned an LT1 car, so I could be wrong on the shifting characteristics of your car. Some trannys won't stay in "1", and automatically shift.

    Someone may correct me..

    What I'm telling you is true of an LS1 car.


    Be safe when you are trying it out. Wrecks happen really fast. Trust me, I know.

  16. #16
    Yea we will be on a highway that not many people use to test it out

  17. #17
    Support HR 1146 jking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Age
    43
    Posts
    495
    2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by White 95 T/A
    Will do bud thank you so much for the info.

    Also does going into 1st help alot going from a 20 or so roll rather than jus drive n bein in 2nd or 3rd ?

    And i can jus stay on the gas right asi shift?
    You're welcome. I'm headed to bed.

    Yes, generally the lower the gear, the faster the car will go until you hit the redline or limiter. You want to stay in the lowest gear possible at all times.


    With an auto tranny, you always stay on the gas.

  18. #18
    Ok bud thanks heh if i can master this shift to 1 then to drive thing i can kill the cars i smoked before
    Last edited by White 95 T/A; 04-17-2006 at 10:23 PM.

  19. #19
    car enthusiast djvaly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Philly area
    Posts
    9,863
    on my ls1 A4 what I do is roll 55-60 on the highway to scope out potential candidate in terms of racing. When I spot someone pulling close to me that looks interested,
    I down shift to 3, then tap the gas a few times to let be known I am interested in
    racing. eye contact can be done too but, keep your eyes on the road and and foot ready. so rolling 60 on 3rd puts me in good start point. Then I try to catch with the corner of my eyes to see if any movement on the side, and the moment I see
    what it looks like an attempt to pass I floor it. Now if you floor it too fast, the car will stall for half a sec(it's still A4).. so you need to learn how to "floor" it, practice take offs. floor it not like a puss but not like you kick somebody in the face either.
    and remember keep music low, or off windows cracked so you can hear the other car's rev up noise, and eyes on the road!
    hope that helps. I always think of a good start as half of the equation. I smoked cars with 40rwhp more than me, just by being alert and having a good start point.
    good luck..

  20. #20
    car enthusiast djvaly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Philly area
    Posts
    9,863
    forgot to say:
    I should say even 2nd for 60mph roll is good, but it may be better at 3rd since you don't have to shift up twice (once in 3 and then D). 3rd should be ok.. and when flooring it and rev gets to 4200 or so, manual shift to D but keep gas foot on. exercise before, since keeping your eyes on the road versus the A4 tranny is better habbit for racing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Isnt the greedy general reason why f bodies are minimal?
    By denegrader in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 09:04 PM
  2. Road race, auto x, rally in an A4
    By Intrepidman in forum Road Racing / AutoX
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-21-2009, 01:57 PM
  3. Auto Body Repair & Body Primer Paint - Straight As
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Corvette
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 05:00 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 11:46 PM
  5. auto trans)race in 3rd or OD???
    By greatwhiteZ28 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 08:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •