Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

To anyone, that is ever challenged by a GT!

To anyone ever challenged by a Ford Mustang GT (Not Ford hating or tying to start a riot) I raced a 2003 from a 10 mph roll the other day.

He had as listed:

Supercharger with 6psi
    Off road H Pipe
    315/35/18's tires in the rear, 17's up front
    Short throw shifter
    UD Pulleys
    4:11 gears
    Aluminum Driveshaft
    Different camshafts (don't know the exact specs)
    Some other misc shit (He told me he had about $15,000 into the car)

Now, he did evenually win, but by so little and for so much more money he has in his car. In 1st I had him by about a car and a half. 2nd by about a car, 3rd still about a car, 4th he was even with me and by the top of 4th he was maybe half a fender ahead. Then we both shut it down. He was really cool and everything, but if a GT wants to race, tell him for money because unless he has a ton of money in it, not a chance.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I better type this before all of the Ford guys attack me. I like Cobra's (Terminators), I use to own a Ford Ranger with 277,000 miles with original clutch, tranny, motor and I taught 3 girls how to drive a stick on it. I was just severely disappointed with the way the car ran compared to mine. Who ever dumps the most money in a car is going to win, regardless of make or model, but I thought that was an extreme amount of money for the performance. Just my .02.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Its not whoever dumps the most money regardless of make or model, if you have a GT put 6 grand into it and get a supercharger and exhaust. Then you have an ls1 you put under 2k into it getting exhaust and a cam shaft the ls1 will still prbablly win, so straight up your wrong if the rule was whoever dumps more money then difference in cars would mean nothing.

You actually think that is 15k worth of mods? That is probably round 5k depending on how much his rims were.

6psi kit? that car is probably barely over 350rwhp. Most people run almost twice that.

thats kinda depressing. Ill bet he was kicking himself on the inside lol.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I better type this before all of the Ford guys attack me. I like Cobra's (Terminators), I use to own a Ford Ranger with 277,000 miles with original clutch, tranny, motor and I taught 3 girls how to drive a stick on it. I was just severely disappointed with the way the car ran compared to mine. Who ever dumps the most money in a car is going to win, regardless of make or model, but I thought that was an extreme amount of money for the performance. Just my .02.
    u want find many ford guys on here

BTW, my boss is the same way man. With all the money he dumped into his 2002 GT(supercharged), he could've had a new Z06 with change left over by now...

red
    02 trans am ws6

I raced a newer s/c stang last year in Des Moines, a GT, looked stock but you could here the whine... Boy that guy was so pi$$ed when I left him. Mind you mine had slp cold air kit maf and exhaust (lt and corsa cat back) with a tune. It all came together when I watched powerblock and they did a GT to Roush conversion for like 7k and only netted 380 horse. Cars are qwik and cash helps, the new stangs look good but the Trans Ams look better...

Blue
    04 Mach 1

Tell me about those things, damn money pits. I will have about 15k in mine when i get it back!

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    You actually think that is 15k worth of mods? That is probably round 5k depending on how much his rims were.

6psi kit? that car is probably barely over 350rwhp. Most people run almost twice that.
    how can u even say only 5k... he bougth a supercharger.. i dont care what psi you run... a supercharger costs a butt load to buy... ur right about the hp... cuz 6psi wont do much.. but the cost of 15 grand.. easily is correct

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

actually i agree....in a way. the supercharger could easily be five grand, but it all depends on what brand and size.

rubber is nothing, cams are nothing and gears are nothing. i can see with the wheels, drivetrain, and blower spending around 8k though.

still kind of pointless if he only runs 6 pounds....

10 pounds would put him in the low 12s with that set up if he hooked.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

I have owned a couple of GT's, they are ok. I think that they are not in the same class as an LS1 or even an LT1, 2004 and older that is. The new GT is pretty fast. And can hang with a LS1, not win, just keep up.

The GT's are alot cheaper than the LS1's. Even back in the LT1 days the GT was still alot cheaper. You get what you pay for. A GT loses its resale value alot faster than the Z28 or TA's ever did.

In the late 80's the shoe was on the other foot, the 5.0 GT's were beating the 5.0 and 5.7 Z28's or TA's. The 87 5.0 had 225 horse, but 300 foot pounds of torque. They ruled the streets and everybody wanted a 5.0. The 5.0's were more powerful and they weighed less than the F bods.

It switched in 1993 with the LT1. And ironically in 1993 the GT was de tuned to 205 horsepower. A 1993 GT will lose to a 1992 by alot. So when the LT1 went to 275 horse, the GT dropped way down, as a matter of fact the GT took untill 1999 just to get to 260 horse. By then the LS1's were rated at 305 but actually did 350 horse. So of course a 93-02 F body will wax a 93-04 GT. Its as simple as horsepower numbers.

I raced a guy in a 95 GT with a 100 shot of NOS and alot of other crap, and I had exhaust, knn, lid, tune, and I beat him by a car length in my 1999 LS1, we raced 3 times, He was pissed.

So no, it doesnt matter the money you spend on mods, it matters what you start with. But in the GT's defense, they are cheaper, so they sell alot more cars to people.

I know the new Maro will be faster then the new GT coming out, but price wise, the GT will sell more. They always do.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    how can u even say only 5k... he bougth a supercharger.. i dont care what psi you run... a supercharger costs a butt load to buy... ur right about the hp... cuz 6psi wont do much.. but the cost of 15 grand.. easily is correct
    15k easily? Do you even have a clue?? Here is some math for ya. I should have said closer to 6k orginally.
    Supercharger with 6psi-non-intercooled kit 3,000
    Off road H Pipe-120 bucks
    315/35/18's tires in the rear, 17's up front-I will say 1000(unknown what rims)
    Short throw shifter-150
    UD Pulleys-75 bucks
    4:11 gears- 300 including install
    Aluminum Driveshaft-250
    Different camshafts (don't know the exact specs)-600

Thats 5495. I didnt know this was near zo6 MSRP.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

15k easily? Do you even have a clue?? Here is some math for ya. I should have said closer to 6k orginally.
    Supercharger with 6psi-non-intercooled kit 3,000
    Off road H Pipe-120 bucks
    315/35/18's tires in the rear, 17's up front-I will say 1000(unknown what rims)
    Short throw shifter-150
    UD Pulleys-75 bucks
    4:11 gears- 300 including install
    Aluminum Driveshaft-250
    Different camshafts (don't know the exact specs)-600

Thats 5495. I didnt know this was near zo6 MSRP.
    it may not be 15 grand but u shortchanged a few of those items sorry.. for ex.. 600 for cam... if u can get me a cam/install/tune for 600 then i will do it right now, not trying to be argumentive here and its not even worth it cuz we are arguing about a mustang.. im just saying u got a few more things then just parts to add in there

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Right we dont know if the guy did all the work himself or not, if he didnt id say 10k is a good number.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    it may not be 15 grand but u shortchanged a few of those items sorry.. for ex.. 600 for cam... if u can get me a cam/install/tune for 600 then i will do it right now, not trying to be argumentive here and its not even worth it cuz we are arguing about a mustang.. im just saying u got a few more things then just parts to add in there
    I spent 500 on my cams and installed them myself. ok I forgot the tune, so another 300 bills. Its still under 6k.

My neigbor has a 07 GT w S/C. Can't wait to get next to him and make him feel like donkey balls.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Lol he raced a 2003 GT a 2007 GT is a bit different lol, if his car is S/C you better be too. Or have atleast cam work done.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Lol he raced a 2003 GT a 2007 GT is a bit different lol, if his car is S/C you better be too. Or have atleast cam work done.
    newer ones are definetely faster. the 4.6s really benefit from a power adder. the dohc kind of eliminates the real gain from getting cams unlike a pushrod engine. shoot, cam only ls1s can gain 50 horse with a tune. thats pretty decent in my eyes.

my buddy has a vortec supercharger on his 02 gt. ten pounds and a t56 he had swapped in. it should be good for mid 12s i would think. we'll see if he ever mans up

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

lol im soo close to doing my cam swap i just need like 200 more dollars for a oil pump and gaskets, but my kid comes first dammit, 8 month year old still for sale anyone?Plus my 87 supra is under going an overhaul we are hoping for 700rwhp.

Thread Information