Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Thumbs up Another Mustang bites the dust!!

Well, my buddy just picked up a 86 Mustang. It has a remanufactered 5 speed, centerforce clutch. 1993 Heads that are ported and polished. They are milled and valve job. It has a Trick Flow cam (size is unknown/but sounds good) Off road H-Pipe, and Cold air intake. Yet the fucker has stock manifolds SOME HOW!!!! It also has fresh pistons and rods, and bearings. About 1000 miles on the rebuild. Any ways, we go out to race, here is how it goes.

Race 1: 15 mph punch. Instantly he puts a fender on me, until I hit about 4,000 rpms in 1st. I go screaming by him putting a car on him in first. Another car in second, and a third car in third.

Race 2: 20 mph punch. We stay dead even until about 4,000 rpms and then the Maro is pissed and starts pulling. I put about 5 cars on him up til 100 mph.

P.S. All races were done on a deserted road. Do not street race.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Nice Kill

Black
    03 Cobra

Most likely a stage 1 trickflow cam, the stage 2 makes great power up top from 3,500 and up, if it was a stage 3 it would've had very good mid and high end

I had a stage 2 on my 50 and that thing pulled real nice up top

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

nice kill man

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Good kill! I'm still tryin to catch an 08' that isn't a v6...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Thanks guys. He is getting headers, and upper/lower intake (Trick Flow) then he wants to race again. He really wants to beat me in a race.

Black
    03 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Thanks guys. He is getting headers, and upper/lower intake (Trick Flow) then he wants to race again. He really wants to beat me in a race.
    that should be a good rematch, but I still think you will pull on him.

what do you have done to your car???

black
    1993 mustang

sounds about right. low end torque is awesome do not have power to keep ahead because of intake and other corks in system. good kill.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by mike302 View Post
    that should be a good rematch, but I still think you will pull on him.

what do you have done to your car???
    Its in my sig in my first post but....

Hooker Headers long tube, true dual exhaust with no cats or mufflers. Lid and filter. Fast toys ram air, UD pulleys Crank/Alt. Ported and polished Throttle Body. Throttle body bypass. Lower control arms/Panhard bar. Sub Frame connectors/strut tower brace. 160 thermostat. Ported MAF ends. Thats all I can think off now. I am pretty much FULL BOLT ON, except for a electric water pump.

Well, my buddy just picked up a 86 Mustang. It has a remanufactered 5 speed, centerforce clutch. 1993 Heads that are ported and polished. They are milled and valve job. It has a Trick Flow cam (size is unknown/but sounds good) Off road H-Pipe, and Cold air intake. Yet the fucker has stock manifolds SOME HOW!!!! It also has fresh pistons and rods, and bearings. About 1000 miles on the rebuild. Any ways, we go out to race, here is how it goes.

Race 1: 15 mph punch. Instantly he puts a fender on me, until I hit about 4,000 rpms in 1st. I go screaming by him putting a car on him in first. Another car in second, and a third car in third.

Race 2: 20 mph punch. We stay dead even until about 4,000 rpms and then the Maro is pissed and starts pulling. I put about 5 cars on him up til 100 mph.

P.S. All races were done on a deserted road. Do not street race.
    Those stock manifolds are killing that engine big time!!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Oh, I forgot, maybe you mustang guys can help. We found papers in the car that shows how to change from speed density to MAF style. Well it is a MAF, so does that mean its changed over. I don't know anything about a 86 mustang 5.0.

Black
    03 Cobra

Its in my sig in my first post but....

Hooker Headers long tube, true dual exhaust with no cats or mufflers. Lid and filter. Fast toys ram air, UD pulleys Crank/Alt. Ported and polished Throttle Body. Throttle body bypass. Lower control arms/Panhard bar. Sub Frame connectors/strut tower brace. 160 thermostat. Ported MAF ends. Thats all I can think off now. I am pretty much FULL BOLT ON, except for a electric water pump.
    I think you will pull on him may be a better of a race, but you should get him, is he tuned or getting tuned if not he is not getting the right power out of his mods!
    Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    Those stock manifolds are killing that engine big time!!
    Oh yea big time! the 5.0 engine it self is a good engine but the problem is getting the airflow out and what restricts that really bad is the stock heads and those skinny stock headers! Have any of you seen a stock exhaust manifold off a 5.0??? where they bolt up to the block it has like a pinch on them for ease of bolt removal or when you put them on! It's just ridiculously restrictive!

so a full exhaust system upgrade, some nice aluminum heads, and a better upper and lower intake should make it run twice as hard
    Oh, I forgot, maybe you mustang guys can help. We found papers in the car that shows how to change from speed density to MAF style. Well it is a MAF, so does that mean its changed over. I don't know anything about a 86 mustang 5.0.
    yes the previous owner did change it to MAF 86 5.0s did not come out with MAF out the factory!
    Last edited by mike302; 07-03-2008 at 11:11 AM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

So does that MAF help him. I would think so, or else why do it. And the manifolds are fucking rediculious. They look like shorty headers that were put in a vice and pinched. Super restrictive, I told him that should be the first thing he does to the car.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Having MAF doesn't increase power, but it does make it MUCH easier to do engine modifications.

Black
    03 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Having MAF doesn't increase power, but it does make it MUCH easier to do engine modifications.
    1+ I think you might pic up some power by upgrading to better MAF???

black
    1993 mustang

also when he gets heads and intake make sure he has everything port matched. next race might be even. those 86 mustangs are pretty light.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Well, headers are going to be on the way in a couple weeks for it. Next race I will try to get it on video. It will be hard because he doesn't want to be posted on the internet losing. I told him its just for fun,

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by mike302 View Post
    1+ I think you might pic up some power by upgrading to better MAF???
    Why would getting a "new" maf give any power? Whats a "better" maf??? Unless its a bigger diameter... (useless unless that is the absolute LAST thing in you intake system to be the "kink") it wont make any difference at all.

I hate people buying SLP "upgraded" MAFS. Stupid and pointless mod IMO.

Black
    03 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Why would getting a "new" maf give any power? Whats a "better" maf??? Unless its a bigger diameter... (useless unless that is the absolute LAST thing in you intake system to be the "kink") it wont make any difference at all.

I hate people buying SLP "upgraded" MAFS. Stupid and pointless mod IMO.
    I mean as in when he upgrades and he needs a bigger diameter. I think I remember reading somewhere that on a stock engine and you have basic bolt-on mods and you upgrade injectors and MAF it gives a bit more HP! not sure tho???

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

The MAF, if stock, can restrict the 5.0, especially after modification. If memory serves it's smaller than the stock throttle body.... something like 58mm. If it's already aftermarket, it's probably good to go. That car probably has a long way to go to catch up to you in your bolt-on LS1. Nothing a good H/C/I package wouldn't cure, but that's not easy for someone who only paid 2-3k for their car.

Chris

Thread Information