Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another 5.0 goes down

Was brining someone to work and pulled up next to a 5.0 at the light. I granny shifted ionto second and the gut next to be nails it ! WTF, so I had to do it. When I hit 3rd I looked back and had 2 cars on him.

10's N/A

Man I can't even remember how many times i've smoked a 5-0 Mustang. They can be very fast, but most are slooow.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

A guy at my work thinks his 5.0 is god and my TA is heavy and as slow as his truck.....I just laugh I would love to run the guy but he is never up for it.....Oh well its all in fun

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula. View Post
    A guy at my work thinks his 5.0 is god and my TA is heavy and as slow as his truck.....I just laugh I would love to run the guy but he is never up for it.....Oh well its all in fun
    Believe it or not I was a Mustang guy before I was an F-Body guy - about 8 years ago. I purchased a '95 Rio Red Cobra. It totally dissapointed me when I wen't to the track and ran low 15's in the low 90's. Didn't really know the car only made 245 horsepower until after I bought it
    97 Z28 1LE #53 11.08/122.84 N/A, 9.82/131.06 150-shot

02 WS6 M6, STOCK H/C/I, 3189 lbs., 11.77/113.02 (1.59 60')

08 Mercedez C63 AMG, FOR SALE!!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108586

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea the 95 cobras just had the regular 5.0s nothing special. But I would still today buy a 96+ cobra

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I've only raced one so far and I thought for sure I'd take him....i got LT's and a catback...He beat me by a car and a half, turns out he was supercharged and asked where my bottle was. I laughed

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I've only raced one so far and I thought for sure I'd take him....i got LT's and a catback...He beat me by a car and a half, turns out he was supercharged and asked where my bottle was. I laughed
    It always come down to that lol

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Funny, I had a C5 vette demand to see my '92 5.0's bottle when I had a nice mild H/C/I combo on it and smoked him by more than a full second. It was great, he'd been talking all night about my car because I told him that I thought it would go quicker than his vette. My first runs were in the 13s, and after seeing me run badly, he decided to line up with me. I'd finally gotten the tune straight, and ended up running a 12.0@112 mph to his low 13 something. I can understand why he expected that I was spraying.

I found out later that my engine was starving for fuel at the normal 40 psi, and needed 55 psi to bring the AFR down into the right range. That night I had also worked my way up from 10* timing up to 18* where it ran perfectly. Later on a dyno it made 253 rwhp at 10* timing and 40psi of fuel pressure lean-popping through the intake. With 55psi and 18* timing it made 311 rwhp SAE on a dynojet without ever leaving the dyno between the runs.

Just a lesson for all you guys, you never know what to expect from those 5.0s. Anything could be lurking under the hoods: bolt-on 5.0s, H/C/I stroker Windsors, turbos, blowers, nitrous, hell you even find an LS1 every now and then. My car only weighed 2960 lbs without me in it, and it still had a full interior and had not be significantly lightened (spare tire, jack, differential dampner, and a couple other minor things.

Just a fair warning to all of the LS1 guys out there that don't want to be embarrassed because you've seen how slow those old stock foxes are.

BTW, don't flame me. I own a '97 vette, and love the LS1, too.

Chris

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I'm not gonna flame ya, if I had to have a mustang it'd be a 5.0. I like em.

I like the lx 5.0 over the gt.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Your average 5.0 is a joke. It was one of my first kills. However a built (dunno what he had done but it had at least a large cam the way it rattled my windows) 5.0 got me easily once by about three lengths to 80 mph.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

The 5.0 is my favorite engine, and the '87-'93 foxbody is still my favorite car in existence. So, I'm sorry to admit it, but yeah you're right. The average 5.0 that you roll up on in an LS1 is not really even a race. I don't really even consider racing them when I'm in the vette unless I can hear something going on under their hood.

Still, I wouldn't talk shit to one of them that I saw at the track without something serious in my car.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea one of my best friends has an 89 LX with a pretty built 5.0, hasnt lost a race yet lol he has shitted on so many ls1s and ls2s all day

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Yea one of my best friends has an 89 LX with a pretty built 5.0, hasnt lost a race yet lol he has shitted on so many ls1s and ls2s all day
    Shittin' on LS1's and LS2's ain't no "pretty built" 5.0. More like a really built 5.0. When you have a car that's so far behind, running 15's on average in stock trim, even getting into the 12's can be a pretty extensive task. I've raced 306 motored cars with mild heads/cam/ & intake when my LT1 sported nothing but cam & bolt-ons, and beat the crap out of them.

You can make them fast, but it takes a lot!
    Last edited by Cayenne97; 10-15-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    Shittin' on LS1's and LS2's ain't no "pretty built" 5.0. More like a really built 5.0. When you have a car that's so far behind, running 15's on average in stock trim, even getting into the 12's can be a pretty extensive task. I've raced 306 motored cars with mild heads/cam/ & intake when my LT1 sported nothing but cam & bolt-ons, and beating the crap out of them.

You can make them fast, but it takes a lot!
    when i was in high school two kids had 5.0 and just thought they were the shit, i'm pretty sure the fastest either ever ran was a 13.9, man i just wish i had my car back then.....

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Yeah my friend has an 89 5.0 stang and has put a little over $10k into it. Supercharged and heaps of other goodies. He's pushing 600rwhp, too bad he can never get the thing to run...or else he can't traction and always breaks something. Now he needs a new rear end. They are fun to build and all but it's tough to maintain them when they have so much power and you can't get any traction. It becomes somewhat pointless after a certain point. Unless you have tons of money to work out the rear end and suspension as well...

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Well you see the thing is my friend spent less then 3 grand on everything done to it and its still fast as hell.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

I was shittin' on LS1s with just a H/C/I package. It was an 11 second combo:

AFR165 heads ($1300)
    FTI cam ($325)
    Ported Cobra intake (free + $250 for porting)
    Long Tube headers with matching H-pipe($300)
    Underdrive pullies ($80)
    24# injectors ($150)
    75mm MAF ($150-$200 don't remember)
    65mm TB ($150)
    255LPH fuel pump ($90)
    4.10 gears ($150)
    4 cyl springs (free)

Races with stock LS1s wasn't even close. An LS6 Z06 would've been a decent race, but not from a stop. Eventually I blew up my stock tranny and put a Tremec TKO in its place. Could've kept running the stock tranny but wanted to be able to power shift, and I had plans for nitrous until the car was wrecked.

It depends what you call "really built." I would consider that combo decent, but not really built. "Really built" to me means internal work like a stroker kit, or better internals. Then again, there wasn't much left to do on that combo except add some type of forced induction or go into the internals. Still, that's less than $3k in performance modifications, and that car flew. In fact, because it launched really well, it was quicker than my turbo car through the 1/4 from a stop - different story from a roll, of course.

Chris

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Just under 3 grand. And made an 11 sec car. Very nice, shows the 5.0s can be great drag cars. What numbers are you pushing?

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Before the long tubes and the port job to the cobra intake, it made 311 to the wheels as mentioned in the earlier post. Afterwards, I dunno....320 or so?

The twin-turbo 5.0 on a stock shortblock (including cam), with GT40X heads, and a GT40 intake made 420 rwhp, which to me is less impressive than 320 n/a. Nothing really to write home about.

My current single-turbo combo on a "really built" 331 stroker will push around 700 rwhp on 93 octane, and with the turbo maxed out will make over 1000 rwhp. If I change my tranny and throw in an auto, it probably will cost me about 100-150 rwhp. I think I've built a motor that can propel my street car (with a/c and a full interior) into the 8s.... it's all bench racing for now, though.

Chris

Thread Information