Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

All This Mach 1 Talk...

This happened about a month ago. I had posted it on another board and forgot about it until now.

99 a4 z28 vs 03 m5 Mach1[:::EDIT:::]<--not a link! Just the two cars that were involved the the race.

Ran some guy in a sharp looking '03 Mach 1 Mustang 5 speed, he thought he was a hot shot. I will admit, his car did sound ****in mean.

We catch a light and are the first two cars, me on the right, him on the left. He threw me a couple revs to see if I would bite, I looked over and smiled. Light turned green, I casually roll a foot or so, then punch it, as does he. I put 2 cars on him by the time we got to the next light about a 1/8 mile ahead.

We stop at the next light, I look over and smile, he nods and gives me a thumbsup as I did as well. Then we went our seperate ways.

It was fun, got the blood flowing a little bit that's for sure.

Figured I would share in case you were bored.
    Last edited by Badass WS6; 01-01-2010 at 11:10 AM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

mods
    Always fun to beat a ford.

black
    2002 firebird trans am

yeah mach 1s are fast for mustangs, but not quite fast enough for a stock or slightly modded ls1.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

link no worky

silver
    2002 ws6

link no worky worky--- nice kill though.

Black
    2001 WS6

I raced one years ago in my old 99. The first time, the guy took me. My car was running bad, i needed a tune up bad. So every night after that I'd go out to where everyone raced and I just practiced. It would cha"nge everytime due to ground conditions. Finally he did it for 20 bucks, and even did the "I'll have my friend drive who doesnt know how to drive stick" because i still hadnt gotten a tune up. So we all went out, and I actually pulled him quite hard. We all went back to regroup, I got my money with him challenging me with him driving, and I said no thanks. I took the money and went home.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I was going to post this a little while ago but ill say it now. Ive driven the new mustang gt 5speed on many occasions and if its any indication that the Mach1 is the same way because they both have the same power output then im not impressed at all. The one we have on our lot is the mustang gt 5speed ive been driving, although it takes off clean with hardly any issues with traction meaning when you want a clean take off and going to second gear is hardly any drama i can see how and why it would keep up with a LS1 since my car has zero traction in 1st and hardly any in 2nd gear. Once the GT goes into 3rd gear it falls flat and i cant imagine how it would keep up with a LS1 unless its really modded. Im not a expert on the Mach1 at all and not sure what it exactly has meaning gearing but it should have the 305hp 5speed tranny. I have respect for the car either way because for the money its really good and its appealing, just not to me.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

You should find out the gearing option on that stang you drive. The newer stangs come with 3.2something i think but they have an option for the 3.55 like the mach 1s had. They both have the t3650 5 speed, which is pretty weak and will start to grind after hard miles. Its a very common problem but its easy to fix if you have the know how, cost my buddy 200 bucks in parts.

Black
    2001 WS6

I've noticed on newer muscle cars, such as the challenger, they offer aftermarket gears. You can get 373's on the challenger i believe, right off the show room floor. Gearing makes a world of difference

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

With traction and a good driver, the 3 valve mustangs are nothing to scoff at. Gears and exhaust, they're looking at 12s, I've seen it happen!

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    link no worky
    Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    link no worky worky--- nice kill though.
    My bad, that is not a link. I geuss I should have mentioned that. I just put it in bold and underlined it to let everyone know that those are the 2 cars that were racing.

white
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    With traction and a good driver, the 3 valve mustangs are nothing to scoff at. Gears and exhaust, they're looking at 12s, I've seen it happen!
    Very true, i saw an old buddy that has an 07gt i raced awhile back with my elcamino last night, since then he has put exhaust on and had a tune i raced him and EVERY time id spin like hell off the line and i had my window cracked about an inch, all i heard from him was just his fcking exhaust i could not hear a tire slip until he hit a new gear... so we raced from a roll going 35... and he only pulled about a car on me doing this, but close to the end of the quarter i started pulling up on him, but he still beat me so after all this we went to a local gas station and look under each others hoods and apparently he also has the juice hooked up, but no doubt he didnt use it or he wouldve totally killed me.

the temp. was about 20-22 degrees.... i sure wish it was alot warmer so i couldve gotten a better take off

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    ^ this

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    They both have the t3650 5 speed, which is pretty weak and will start to grind after hard miles. Its a very common problem but its easy to fix if you have the know how, cost my buddy 200 bucks in parts.
    Would you mind elaborating on what is needed to fix this. We just built a 5.0 stroker for a friends 00 gt and his tranny started to grind and we havent even installed the D1 yet.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    Would you mind elaborating on what is needed to fix this. We just built a 5.0 stroker for a friends 00 gt and his tranny started to grind and we havent even installed the D1 yet.
    Not sure if it all caused by the same problem but when his tranny started grinding we researched how common it was and there are forum after forum page after page of this issue. But in his case the plastic plate on the shifter fork was gone and was causing the shifter fork to move the gear and synchros on a slight angle instead of straight into place. The gear, synchros and shifter fork were all worn becasue of this. So we replaced 2nd gear, the syncrhos on 1st and 2nd, 1st and 2nd sliders, the shifter fork for 1st and 2nd, and the snap rings that hold everything in place. The snap rings are a bitch to remove if you dont have a snap ring tool. All these parts are pretty cheap. But if you built a 5.0 and are putting a supercharger on it well then rebuilding the tranny to stock specs is like building a time bomb since they cant even handle stock power for more than 60-70kmiles if driven spiritedly. You will have to remove the bell housing with the t3650 since it cant be seperated like they could on the old t5 until its out of the car. There are alot of upgrades that can be made to the tranny, and if you buy the parts and do the labor yourself it could be a beastly tranny for 1k-2k in parts. But then again you never know how long a tranny is gonna last for, i have a friend with a world class t5 which is basically a slightly upgraded t5 rated for 330trq i think and his car puts down 500whp and 510wtrq so he is far past that with 0 problems.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 01-04-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Torch Red
    2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1

Not sure if it all caused by the same problem but when his tranny started grinding we researched how common it was and there are forum after forum page after page of this issue. But in his case the plastic plate on the shifter fork was gone and was causing the shifter fork to move the gear and synchros on a slight angle instead of straight into place. The gear, synchros and shifter fork were all worn becasue of this. So we replaced 2nd gear, the syncrhos on 1st and 2nd, 1st and 2nd sliders, the shifter fork for 1st and 2nd, and the snap rings that hold everything in place. The snap rings are a bitch to remove if you dont have a snap ring tool. All these parts are pretty cheap. But if you built a 5.0 and are putting a supercharger on it well then rebuilding the tranny to stock specs is like building a time bomb since they cant even handle stock power for more than 60-70kmiles if driven spiritedly. You will have to remove the bell housing with the t3650 since it cant be seperated like they could on the old t5 until its out of the car. There are alot of upgrades that can be made to the tranny, and if you buy the parts and do the labor yourself it could be a beastly tranny for 1k-2k in parts. But then again you never know how long a tranny is gonna last for, i have a friend with a world class t5 which is basically a slightly upgraded t5 rated for 330trq i think and his car puts down 500whp and 510wtrq so he is far past that with 0 problems.
    And I have a seven year old Mach 1, and the only original part of the drivetrain left in the car is the TR3650 5-speed. It's held up through everything I've thrown at it, from a 150 shot of nitrous, to my current 530rwhp KB setup. It's all the luck of the draw!
    2003 Torch Red Ford Mustang Mach 1 5-speed
    FRPP Aluminator 32V Long Block + Kenne Bell 2.1
    657 RWHP 635 RWTQ @16psi on 93 Octane
    Custom Tuning by Tillman Speed

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Thanks for the info. Were still debating on rebuilding it or just going ahead and slapping a TKO in it.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by TRMach1 View Post
    And I have a seven year old Mach 1, and the only original part of the drivetrain left in the car is the TR3650 5-speed. It's held up through everything I've thrown at it, from a 150 shot of nitrous, to my current 530rwhp KB setup. It's all the luck of the draw!
    like i said trannys are a hard thing to judge

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Ok, I'm a dumbass.... but was I the only one who caught my typo?? Guess I'll see if anyone catches it, that is, if anyone gives a damn

Impounded

'00 Z28 M6 NBM
    I piss excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thGenTA View Post
    yeah mach 1s are fast for mustangs, but not quite fast enough for a stock or slightly modded ls1.
    I disagree.

5-speed 03-04 Mach 1 vs 6-speed 98-02 LS1 is a drivers race, those 32v 4.6's are stout...they respond to mods as well as the LS1 also.

Thread Information