Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

99 Z28 vs. Pullied 03 Cobra

Finally got to race an 03!!! I was going to get something to eat Sunday afternoon, and I got on the highway in one of my fav spots, where you enter in a sharp curve and have to launch onto the highway, and it goes under two bridges. I had the tops out, and man does that thing sound like a NASCAR when you go under a bridge with the tops out.

Anyway, there was red 03 with Satin wheels in the fast lane making about 80 when I merged. So I just floored it and went by him hauling ass. I slow down about 1/2 mile ahead, and in the rear view I see that unmistakable front end closing fast. OH YEAH! It's ON, and he's GAME! We weaved and bobbed through traffic making serious ticket speeds until we came to open highway, and we both floored it from 80 mph to about 140 mph. He was right there with me! What amazed me was that we were side by side the whole way, no gain or loss whatsoever. We did this about three or four times, every time traffic would open up, either I was in front and stayed there, he was right on my ass, or the other he was in front, and I stayed on his ass. Neither one had enough power to go around the other.

I passed my exit long ago, and we got off on 15-501. There was just too much traffic for us to get a stop and go race, so I pulled up beside him in the turning lane and talked a little. He didn't want to pull over for some reason. First thing I said, "You got a pulley on that thing?" He said he had a 2.93 on it with full exhaust, it damn sure sounded like it. That thing was as loud if not louder than mine. He said, "Man, you are fast on the highway, you got heads and cam in there?" I said, "Cam only." I asked if he knew how much power he was putting down, but he didn't. He asked me the same question, and I told him. The light changed and I peeled 'em off right beside him from a roll on up to the light and went to get a bite to eat. Damn, I love RACING!!!

Fellas, how much power you think an 03 with full exhaust and a 2.93 pulley is putting down? Where are you 03 guys at, I know you are spying on this board. Please add your .02
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by Roastem
    Finally got to race an 03!!! I was going to get something to eat Sunday afternoon, and I got on the highway in one of my fav spots, where you enter in a sharp curve and have to launch onto the highway, and it goes under two bridges. I had the tops out, and man does that thing sound like a NASCAR when you go under a bridge with the tops out.

Anyway, there was red 03 with Satin wheels in the fast lane making about 80 when I merged. So I just floored it and went by him hauling ass. I slow down about 1/2 mile ahead, and in the rear view I see that unmistakable front end closing fast. OH YEAH! It's ON, and he's GAME! We weaved and bobbed through traffic making serious ticket speeds until we came to open highway, and we both floored it from 80 mph to about 140 mph. He was right there with me! What amazed me was that we were side by side the whole way, no gain or loss whatsoever. We did this about three or four times, every time traffic would open up, either I was in front and stayed there, he was right on my ass, or the other he was in front, and I stayed on his ass. Neither one had enough power to go around the other.

I passed my exit long ago, and we got off on 15-501. There was just too much traffic for us to get a stop and go race, so I pulled up beside him in the turning lane and talked a little. He didn't want to pull over for some reason. First thing I said, "You got a pulley on that thing?" He said he had a 2.93 on it with full exhaust, it damn sure sounded like it. That thing was as loud if not louder than mine. He said, "Man, you are fast on the highway, you got heads and cam in there?" I said, "Cam only." I asked if he knew how much power he was putting down, but he didn't. He asked me the same question, and I told him. The light changed and I peeled 'em off right beside him from a roll on up to the light and went to get a bite to eat. Damn, I love RACING!!!

Fellas, how much power you think an 03 with full exhaust and a 2.93 pulley is putting down? Where are you 03 guys at, I know you are spying on this board. Please add your .02
    He probably didn't start in the right gear. With his mods he should be 450 rwhp. Compared to your 376 I don't see how it can be neck and neck. I don't doubt you made a kill. Maybe he got it tuned by a shop I know close by that has blown up a few 03/04's and he has a terrible tune. A buddy of mine got a chip tuned there and he went from 500 rwhp to low 400's. It was pathetic. I'm not going to tell who the shop is but it is not Custom Performance at Lowes Motor Speedway. With a 2.93 pulley I was running 7.6's on ET Streets at 95 plus.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Pumped03
    He probably didn't start in the right gear. With his mods he should be 450 rwhp. Compared to your 376 I don't see how it can be neck and neck. I don't doubt you made a kill. Maybe he got it tuned by a shop I know close by that has blown up a few 03/04's and he has a terrible tune. A buddy of mine got a chip tuned there and he went from 500 rwhp to low 400's. It was pathetic. I'm not going to tell who the shop is but it is not Custom Performance at Lowes Motor Speedway. With a 2.93 pulley I was running 7.6's on ET Streets at 95 plus.
    I don't think he had it tuned. He didn't know the rwhp, which means he prolly never had it dynoed. Plus, when he would shift, all I saw was black smoke pouring out of the pipes. He did start in the right gear, cause I heard him downshift. He was no rookie from what I could tell. I didn't say it was a kill, did I?

I do have gears and 300 or so less pounds, with better aerodynamics, all that comes into play doesn't it?
    Last edited by Roastem; 04-24-2006 at 08:15 AM.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Pumped03
    With a 2.93 pulley I was running 7.6's on ET Streets at 95 plus.
    7.6's at 95 plus is nice through the eighth, a wicked fast street car for sure. Where are you at now with your car pumped03? RWHP, mods, and track times.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

you didnt say it was a kill but this is the kill stories

i wish my car was that fast

nice kill

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

nice, real nice, but at crazy speeds

Green Monkey
    Sounds like a good run you had there! But please be careful of the innocent bystanding cars you mentioned you were weaving thru. A recent story here had a kid killed due to weaving thru traffic and taking out some crap. Another one had 2 cars racing down a nice interstate, where usually it's a nice spot to get on it. Unfortunately they were going about 140 mph and didn't see the bridge construction ahead. One guy made it through, but the other braked way too hard and couldn't merge from 2 lanes to 1 and hit a guard rail and split his car in half, killing the driver and sending the passenger to the hospital.

Good runs just do it in the best illegal way possible

White
    1999 WS6

Surprized you hung. My 03 dynoed 440/460 with a 2.93 pulley, then i switched to a 2.8 and made 467/490 with a different tune. Car ran 11.7@119 at the 467/490 level. He should of pulled you top end but thats the beauty of a street race!

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    you didnt say it was a kill but this is the kill stories

i wish my car was that fast
    Maybe it should be Race Stories??? It is rare for one car to be dead even with another, so I really couldn't say it was a kill either way, but it seemed like the most logical place to put it.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monkey
    Sounds like a good run you had there! But please be careful of the innocent bystanding cars you mentioned you were weaving thru. A recent story here had a kid killed due to weaving thru traffic and taking out some crap. Another one had 2 cars racing down a nice interstate, where usually it's a nice spot to get on it. Unfortunately they were going about 140 mph and didn't see the bridge construction ahead. One guy made it through, but the other braked way too hard and couldn't merge from 2 lanes to 1 and hit a guard rail and split his car in half, killing the driver and sending the passenger to the hospital.

Good runs just do it in the best illegal way possible
    I agree. But, I have to admit, if I would have been driving a beater, I would have loved to see a bad ass Z28 with fat tires, and a badass, loud 03 Cobra take off from 80 mph down the highway to see who was king of the streets. The classic Ford vs. Chevy battle that gets the crowd betting and cheering at the dragstrip!

NBM
    '00 Z28

I agree. But, I have to admit, if I would have been driving a beater, I would have loved to see a bad ass Z28 with fat tires, and a badass, loud 03 Cobra take off from 80 mph down the highway to see who was king of the streets. The classic Ford vs. Chevy battle that gets the crowd betting and cheering at the dragstrip!
    I always get a hard on seeing that kind of stuff.

Shadow Grey
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Nice runs
    2003 Mustang Cobra (811rwhp)
    2005 GTO
    2009 Audi A5 3.2

LIGHTLY MODDED

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Grey03Cobra
    Nice runs
    So I clicked the link in your sig. . . .

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Nice runs
    Gotdamn that is a sweet mothaf*ckin Cobra.

I8AVIPER on the license plate! Sweet!

Those stripes are awesome too, intercooler, big pipes, GOTDAMN GIMME IT!

That doesn't look like you're in Afghanistan for sure.

Shadow Grey
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Gotdamn that is a sweet mothaf*ckin Cobra.

I8AVIPER on the license plate! Sweet!

Those stripes are awesome too, intercooler, big pipes, GOTDAMN GIMME IT!

That doesn't look like you're in Afghanistan for sure.
    Thanks guys. Yep, I'm in Afghanistan, but I only have 350 days to go Oh well, more money for mods

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Thanks guys. Yep, I'm in Afghanistan, but I only have 350 days to go Oh well, more money for mods
    You are in the military? I was in the USMC during Operation Enduring Freedom, but I was sent to Kuwait in December 2002, and spent 8 months over there. Went across the border into Iraq at the start of the war spent 3 or 4 months in Iraq doing Force Protection, which is convoy security. Hope you come back without a scratch man. Hey, put me in your will for the Cobra!!

NBM
    '00 Z28

That's a BADASS snake man!

sunset orange
    2001 SS VERT

Damn you ran 410's up to 140? Good runs.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by fast droptop
    Damn you ran 410's up to 140? Good runs.
    In fifth no less, one thing though, it kinda starts shakin weird around 150? Anybody else had that problem with 4.10's or lower?

Thread Information