Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

99 Z28 v.s. 06 Mustang GT?

This is a discussion on 99 Z28 v.s. 06 Mustang GT? within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; I am starting to think that SOME people on this board just make things upabout mustangs. I has to be ...

Blue
    04 Mach 1

I am starting to think that SOME people on this board just make things upabout mustangs. I has to be that or they are badly misinformed on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1Mustang
    I am starting to think that SOME people on this board just make things upabout mustangs. I has to be that or they are badly misinformed on them.
    Its a combination of both.

i kill the new gt's from a roll in my truck. 94 extracab full size chevy. stock, there not too impressive, or at least compared to the 04 gt's with the svt 40th anniversary package. those w/a borla cat back would run a 12.90 ...my friend had one for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by sid2387
    i kill the new gt's from a roll in my truck. 94 extracab full size chevy. stock, there not too impressive, or at least compared to the 04 gt's with the svt 40th anniversary package. those w/a borla cat back would run a 12.90 ...my friend had one for a while.
    What? Come one man, they arent that slow. Give the some credit. You must have raced someone in a 5 speed that stayed in 5th gear.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Bullshit....94 chevys have a tbi 350 in them that are rated for around 205 hp/300lbs...they'd get smoked by even the 99-04 gt stangs let alone the 05/06's. I had a 92 single cab 350(same motor as yours) stepside chevy and it was a dog...and it wasn't stock.

WTF is a svt GT? Do you mean a cobra? Yea a 03/04 cobra runs mid-high 12's, but they aren't a anniversary rebadged GT.

Go sell your BS to your little ricer friends.

Black
    05 mustang GT modded

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1Mustang
    That is definately true. If they don't know that the 05/06's are faster than the 99-04's, then you know the B.S. flag has to be waived.

Black
    05 mustang GT modded

Quote Originally Posted by 97formula
    my friend recently raced a 05 GT in his 2000 ss
    the Gt was stock and maunal
    the ss was stock with flowmaster exhaust no cats, and a hypertech programmer its a4.
    the ss beat the gt bad at the launch the gt had him, but when the ss hit 2nd he passed him and kept making a bigger lead through the rest of the 1/4 mile.
    I've saw a person run mid 15's in an 03/04 Cobra this weekend at the track. AT sea level, that would be about mid 14's. Bottom line, you have to have the good driver mod. What you see is not necessarily what the car will do.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I thought this thread was dead. . .where it needed to be.

Black
    2002 Transam ws6

Hello everybody, I'm Dr. Nick.

i never said my truck was stock. im runnin a 500 hp 383 stroker w/ 3800stall, turbo 400 tranny, 373 posi track, all msd ignition, hooker super comps w/ true duals and no cats.... i run inn the 12 90s but at best only get 3 mpg...so yeah it is possible for my truck to smoke stock to slightly modified mustangs especiially if they have a shitty driver.

sonic blue
    2005 Mustang GT

today i watched an 05 GT run a 15.5, im not to worried about them
    Sure it wasn't a 6? They generally run high 14's.

Lots of 6's dressed up to look like the GT.

I think an average driver can get 13.8ish with the stock GT.

Lets keep in mind these cars have only a 281CI motor and stock run maybe 250-260ish rwhp. They also weigh in 3500+ lbs.

With basic bolt on's and a tuner people are finding high 12's low 13's.

Most 99-02 ls1 f-bodies are running low 13's stock, so is it that much of a supprise to beat one?

I don't understand why there is so much angst between Mustang guys and F-body guys.

Aren't we are kinda on the same team?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

i never said my truck was stock. im runnin a 500 hp 383 stroker w/ 3800stall, turbo 400 tranny, 373 posi track, all msd ignition, hooker super comps w/ true duals and no cats.... i run inn the 12 90s but at best only get 3 mpg...so yeah it is possible for my truck to smoke stock to slightly modified mustangs especiially if they have a shitty driver.
    Ahhh see now that's different....I must of missed the period after you were talking about your truck...my fault
    i kill the new gt's from a roll in my truck. 94 extracab full size chevy. stock, there not too impressive, or at least compared to the 04 gt's with the svt 40th anniversary package.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Just a guy who has studied the 4.6 pretty well.

Fellas,

I'm new here and I'm not a racer, but I love ALL American muscle cars. I'm only a few day in my 99 Z28 M6, but I did know the Ford 4.6, for what it is worth, from a 94 Thunderbird. The new 3-valve is something I can't give you any info on, but the older 2 and 4 valve (lesser extent) 4.6's had power only in the higher rpms, not like the older 5.0's. Low rpm's did not make good power and that is directly related to the modular design. The LS1 is balanced with good power throughout the rpm's and that's n/a. SHM, for one, has done impressive things with the 4.6, but you will see that most everybody goes forced induction to make up for the lack of lower rpm grunt. Problem is, you now have gear ratios - in general - that do not use the power as effectively as it could be utilized. Chevy got it right from the factory, Ford needs to be tweaked a whole lot more in that regard. My LS1 is basically stock, but has a few mods to the exhaust, a lid, and general tweaks, but I am completely and utterly impressed with the M6 and a 3.42 gear. I do not notice any significant lag in the gears. They have good ratio spacing to complement the LS1 plant. My Thunderbird was definitely NOT up to an LS1, but I loved that car before it got hit. Ford's 4r70w AT is the standard for the 94+ T-bird's, Vics, and Stangs, and the ratio between first and second does NOT match up with the powerband of a somewhat "stock" 4.6 too well. They are useable for tooling down the road, but not the 1/4 mile. When you go forced induction, then the gears are better, but the engine now doesn't need that stock first gear. Very streetable, but a dog in a race. Good to great launch, but then it's over. The manual in the 'Stangs seems to have the same problem in third and up. Just like the earlier remarks; it can get a jump, but when the higher gears take over, the 4.6 engine just does not have the wide rpm range to get the best acceleration. An Allen S/C setup can greatly help this weakness and make the T-bird a sleeper, but that's $4K+. That is exactly where I was when the T-bird got totalled.

The LS1 was my option. It looks to me like I have made the right choice. To spend major bucks to get a 4.6 up to the level of a stock LS1 was not financially wise. I'll always love that T-bird and the Mustangs I have had, but I do think the LS1 Camaros are the best thing out there.

Not trying to say I know better than those who race, but I have studied the 4.6 for what it can and cannot do.

Take care,

John
    Last edited by jad628; 05-02-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

From this to this, BTW.
    Last edited by jad628; 09-27-2006 at 04:40 AM.

Legend Lime
    2005 Mustang GT

The 4.6 has come a long way since 94. I had a 90 Thunderbird and I loved it for the car, it wasn't a drag racer. WAAY too heavy. The new stangs have VVT and a pretty good A5.

mah bad on blowin up earlyer severe distortion. it just really pisses me offf wehn people call me a ricer which i anything but. im not sure bout the mustang thing, all i know as that one of my boys ordered a 2004 mustang gt and it came with a svt badge and a 40th anniversary badge. it had no spoiler, and the traction controll shit w/ a locker if you turned it off, fully independent rear suspension and all kind of performance stuff from the factory. it had prett much everything that you would find on a cobra except the supercharger and the hood. maybe he just special ordered it that way or sumthin, and yes he is one of those lil rich bastards lol.

steve
    I raced an 06 stang from a70 mph punch and I have seen V6 s run better

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by s197
    The 4.6 has come a long way since 94. I had a 90 Thunderbird and I loved it for the car, it wasn't a drag racer. WAAY too heavy. The new stangs have VVT and a pretty good A5.
    Agreed. The PI heads starting with the 99 Mustangs were a significant improvement, something like 50 hp, but at the flywheel. Then they went coil on plug at the same time. The PI heads also required a different intake. It was modular mayhem for the older cars!!! Romeo this, Windsor that. 6 bolts here , 8 bolts there. 2 or 3 bolt starter at the bellhousing. Some Romeo/Windsor blocks and heads interchange, some won't. It really started to be irritating since I thought the whole idea behind "modular" was to simplify trim levels of engine design.Try as they might, the 4.6's just have trouble making up for the lack of cubes. The forced induction sure does a lot for it, but nothing in the standard 4.6's is forged in the lower end. Push it too hard and....POOF!!! Once you build a forged unit and add a blower, you are talking major bucks, and then it may equal a lightly-modded LS1. Too many gadgets and stuff to make the same thing. I equate that with less reliability.

I still love Fords, but for the money, you can't beat the LS1's. I will put out the money when necessary, but the call to opt for the LS1 Z28 over another $7K in a primo condition 94 T-bird was going to be a no-brainer. I guess I ought to thank that young lady for hitting the T-bird and totalling it. That really simplified the process!!!

Sure seems like Ford is relying on the 3-valve 'stangs to revive the rivalry. There will probably always be exceptional Mustangs/Fords that can beat LS1's, etc., but they will be the EXCEPTION, the LS1 F-bodies are the RULE.

John

orange
    1999 camaro z-28

looks like that camaro smoked that mustang the first race and caught it the second race. the mustang needed a roll to win. I have raced five mustang gt's and beaten all five of them and the only mod i have is exhaust on my 99

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Camarofan
    Of course. I said it before and I'll say it again. From about 0 to 80 or so, the 05/06s will get the z28. Then, the 3rd and 4th gear would go the the ls1. BUT if the ls1 doesn't take the race seriously, he's going to get beat, usually because they believe the 05/06's are like their predecessors.

Thats bull man my stock m6 98 z28 has pulled more than a couple 05/06 Gts the whole way through the quarter on several occasions and convincingly on a 05/06 saleen package mustang (n/a). My experience is right in line with most ls1 owners, just face it the 98 up fbody is considerably faster in most cases than the new gt mustang.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information