Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 47 of 47

99 vette/VR4/Talon/jigster 750

This is a discussion on 99 vette/VR4/Talon/jigster 750 within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Wesman I'd consider improperly seated thrust bearings causing crank walk and engine failure something "mechanically wrong" with ...

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I'd consider improperly seated thrust bearings causing crank walk and engine failure something "mechanically wrong" with the engine
    Some motors, when newly introduced, tend to have problems which are later fixed during the production run. Even the LS1 suffered from piston slap and oil consumption during early production years (i.e. '97-98). Just like the 7 bolt 4G63, the motor was revised and updated with better mechanical components. The 7 bolt motors that come in the EVOs are pretty durable, as long as you don't run ridiculous amounts of boost on the stock turbo without supporting mods.

    But yes, the early 7 bolt motors were all a ticking time bomb if not fixed. Most of these guys, usually went with an older 6 bolt if they decided to do an engine replacement.

  2. #42
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Some motors, when newly introduced, tend to have problems which are later fixed during the production run. Even the LS1 suffered from piston slap and oil consumption during early production years (i.e. '97-98). Just like the 7 bolt 4G63, the motor was revised and updated with better mechanical components. The 7 bolt motors that come in the EVOs are pretty durable, as long as you don't run ridiculous amounts of boost on the stock turbo without supporting mods.

    But yes, the early 7 bolt motors were all a ticking time bomb if not fixed. Most of these guys, usually went with an older 6 bolt if they decided to do an engine replacement.
    Piston slap was nothing more than a result of different expansion rates between dissimilar metals and did not affect performance or reliability whatsoever. The oil consumption issues were a result of a poorly designed PCV system which was later revised. Neither were mechanical failures and neither resulted in any engines blowing up.

  3. #43
    Junior Member +stroker ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    24

    Talon awd
    1971 cuda/2000 Z28 6spd

    You consider improperly seated thrust bearings mechanical,but don't consider pistons flopping around in bores to be.If nothing else you are always predictable.

  4. #44
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by +stroker ace View Post
    You consider improperly seated thrust bearings mechanical,but don't consider pistons flopping around in bores to be.If nothing else you are always predictable.
    one issue cause catastrophic engine failure. one caused noise.

  5. #45
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by +stroker ace View Post
    You consider improperly seated thrust bearings mechanical,but don't consider pistons flopping around in bores to be.If nothing else you are always predictable.
    You obviously know nothing about engines or engine clearances.

    The earlier LS engines were designed to allow the pistons to expand and contract in their bores a certain amount due to the different expansion rates of the cylinder liner metal and the hypereutectic pistons. So when the engine was cold, the piston to cylinder wall clearance was larger, making it audible. When the engine warmed up, the clearances became tigher, and the noise went away. It was in no was detrimental to performance or reliability. The pistons were in no way just "flopping around in their bores"

    The 4G63 has inherent design flaws that caused them to blow up. Piston slap was a noise complaint, not a performance complaint.

  6. #46
    Junior Member +stroker ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    24

    Talon awd
    1971 cuda/2000 Z28 6spd

    Wesman I've probably forgotten more about engines then you'll ever know.It's kinda funny there is a thread on the j body forums where you said you liked DSMs.What happened wes you get smoked one to many times by one.I won't comment any more because like all the threads involving you it will it will get closed.PS don't change wesman we love you just the way you are.

  7. #47
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by +stroker ace View Post
    Wesman I've probably forgotten more about engines then you'll ever know.It's kinda funny there is a thread on the j body forums where you said you liked DSMs.What happened wes you get smoked one to many times by one.I won't comment any more because like all the threads involving you it will it will get closed.PS don't change wesman we love you just the way you are.
    Considering you think piston slap only on cold starts is as bad as crank walk blowing up and entire motor, I highly doubt that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Talon Wants to Race...
    By J1211C in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 03:43 PM
  2. Raced a Talon TSI
    By Ryans99LS1 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 07:27 PM
  3. GT35R Talon
    By MikeSomething in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 04:25 PM
  4. raced a talon
    By bmyers in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-16-2006, 06:17 PM
  5. Another: Vette vs DSM [blown c5 vs built talon]
    By EE1983 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-24-2005, 12:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •