Results 1 to 16 of 16

99 m6 z28 vs. wrx

This is a discussion on 99 m6 z28 vs. wrx within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; so i had him off the line, stayed about a car ahead of him through second then shut down. raced ...

  1. #1
    Member Orange99z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    joliet il
    Age
    33
    Posts
    231

    orange
    99 z28

    99 m6 z28 vs. wrx

    so i had him off the line, stayed about a car ahead of him through second then shut down. raced twice with the same results. i'm a little shocked though, i though awd got great launches then slowed down? wtf?

    oh and i believe it was manual with a turbo (def. heard the turbo anyway)

    just how fast are these cars?

  2. #2
    Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San DEEEE Eggo
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,985

    teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

    yeah they are ridicoulously slow, like really slow.
    I was shocked when i beat one so bad, i had him by bus lengths from a dig. Then the guy raced me from a roll and it was even worse. Even modded they are slow. Watch out for the newer sti's though, those things are pretty mean.

  3. #3
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,159

    Red
    2000 Trans Am

    Most people dont like to do 5k launches, even though its there only strong point, but when they do a WRX still aint shit. They make 225 at the crank about 170-180 at the wheels, so whe nhe does do a 5k launch my front bumper is at his door until the tops of first when i usually have about a bumper then into second i pull about 1-2 cars and through third alot more and then 4th alot more. He also had mods, exhaust and i cant remember waht else.

  4. #4
    Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    West Cheter, PA
    Posts
    2,851

    '98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

    i hate those awd imports...
    last time i raced an sti i was killed about 4 lengths right off the line so
    if its not an sti im not worried about subbies at all. i thought the wrx wasnt turbo? sorry i know shit about imports haha..

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    All WRXs are turbos. They only put down about 165-170 stock. No one likes to launch them because they have weak ass transmissions and aftermarket replacements can run 4k. The gears alone are 2k. With a full exhaust and a tune they are mid 13s cars. STIs aren't even that fast except out of the whole. I've beat two from a roll already and I'm basically stock. STIs high 13s cars stock the only reason they have such good 0-60 times is because you can launch them. STIs have much stronger transmissions then stock WRXs. I did a bunch of research on them because I was thinking about getting one as a daily driver. After driving half a dozen of them I bought another camaro and kept my maxima as a daily driver. Best decision I've made in quite some time.

  6. #6
    Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    West Cheter, PA
    Posts
    2,851

    '98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

    ooohhhhhh

  7. #7
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    All WRXs are turbos. They only put down about 165-170 stock. No one likes to launch them because they have weak ass transmissions and aftermarket replacements can run 4k. The gears alone are 2k. With a full exhaust and a tune they are mid 13s cars. STIs aren't even that fast except out of the whole. I've beat two from a roll already and I'm basically stock. STIs high 13s cars stock the only reason they have such good 0-60 times is because you can launch them. STIs have much stronger transmissions then stock WRXs. I did a bunch of research on them because I was thinking about getting one as a daily driver. After driving half a dozen of them I bought another camaro and kept my maxima as a daily driver. Best decision I've made in quite some time.
    Well put, you summed it up nicely.

  8. #8
    Puerto Rico LS1 Rikki_SeVeN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,532

    Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

    personal experience tell they are high 14sec. cars... down the quarter... raced a few myself...and they don't launch anywhere near as hard as a STi...
    CONGRATS on the win anyways... and if you ever come across a STi...always race from a Roll...

  9. #9
    Some people get confused with the WRX. The actual model is the Impreza. They are almost identical looking too. There is a 2.5 all motor, the WRX (2.0L turbo) and the STi (2.5L turbo).

    The WRX is incredibly weak (165whp about) and has a drivetrain made of glass. They canont even handle STOCK power. Even with a good launch, at 30mph, your pull is over because it has hardly any power. Why people buy them to modify them is beyond me. It takes them tons of money to make them run in the 12s and thats with major unreliability because of their dinky drivetrain.

    Junk.

  10. #10
    Puerto Rico LS1 Rikki_SeVeN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,532

    Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    Some people get confused with the WRX. The actual model is the Impreza. They are almost identical looking too. There is a 2.5 all motor, the WRX (2.0L turbo) and the STi (2.5L turbo).

    The WRX is incredibly weak (165whp about) and has a drivetrain made of glass. They canont even handle STOCK power. Even with a good launch, at 30mph, your pull is over because it has hardly any power. Why people buy them to modify them is beyond me. It takes them tons of money to make them run in the 12s and thats with major unreliability because of their dinky drivetrain.

    Junk.
    I'll drink to that!!!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    Some people get confused with the WRX. The actual model is the Impreza. They are almost identical looking too. There is a 2.5 all motor, the WRX (2.0L turbo) and the STi (2.5L turbo).

    The WRX is incredibly weak (165whp about) and has a drivetrain made of glass. They canont even handle STOCK power. Even with a good launch, at 30mph, your pull is over because it has hardly any power. Why people buy them to modify them is beyond me. It takes them tons of money to make them run in the 12s and thats with major unreliability because of their dinky drivetrain.

    Junk.
    The 06 and newer WRX has the 2.5 turbo which is a bit quicker but still has the same crappy clutch and transmission. I thought about getting one because they are cheap and easy to get into the mid 13s with full exhaust and tune all while still getting 25mpg. Problem is after driving at least a half dozen of them I just didn't like them. So slow off the line it's not even funny and how can you take a chance launching them? I read all sorts of horror stories on the WRX site about subaru denying claims for clutches, transmissions and drivetrain crap. If something breaks they immediately say it's abuse and deny the claim. You're spot on with the 12s too if you want to dip under 13 you are looking at a ton of cash. Just not worth it. You can keep the STI too if I were going to get a 4 door 4cyl turbo it would be an EVO IX.

  12. #12
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,159

    Red
    2000 Trans Am

    The new WRX is still a 2.0l turbo not a 2.5, the impreza looks just like them but is a non turbo 2.5.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    The 06 and newer WRX has the 2.5 turbo which is a bit quicker but still has the same crappy clutch and transmission. I thought about getting one because they are cheap and easy to get into the mid 13s with full exhaust and tune all while still getting 25mpg. Problem is after driving at least a half dozen of them I just didn't like them. So slow off the line it's not even funny and how can you take a chance launching them? I read all sorts of horror stories on the WRX site about subaru denying claims for clutches, transmissions and drivetrain crap. If something breaks they immediately say it's abuse and deny the claim. You're spot on with the 12s too if you want to dip under 13 you are looking at a ton of cash. Just not worth it. You can keep the STI too if I were going to get a 4 door 4cyl turbo it would be an EVO IX.
    Yeah, a regular WRX is just a complete no-no in my book. The STi is better since it obviously has more power but also a much much stronger drivetrain.

    However, Id never buy one over an EVO. Although, Im a little biased

  14. #14
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,159

    Red
    2000 Trans Am

    Thats true i liek evos a hell of alot more, soo much easier to modify aswell and my friends 11 flat was pushing 34psi and we did beat the hell out of it for all 60k he had it so it was bound to break.

  15. #15
    Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San DEEEE Eggo
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,985

    teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

    yeah evos are stout ass cars. I remember seeing one at a weekly get together spot that was cammed, that damn thing sounded like f'in mini v-8.
    They have proven engines, 4g63 is a good engine, that thing has been around longer than me. Anyone know how long that engine has been around?

  16. #16
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,159

    Red
    2000 Trans Am

    lol TOO LONG

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •