Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

99-04 goes down again

This is a discussion on 99-04 goes down again within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by RedRoushOne I've been racing close to 33 years.....how about you? Really? What classes? What are your accomplishments? ...

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by RedRoushOne View Post
    I've been racing close to 33 years.....how about you?
    Really? What classes? What are your accomplishments? I'd like to hear a little about the cars you've built and how they've performed. I'm just interested.

Me? Only since I was 18 and started building my first Mustang, 7 years ago.

Chris

I started with my first car (a '71 VW type 3) with EICO heads (they have long been out of business) and after market stroker kit (cylinders, crank and pistons). Did rather well with the car until I ground off every one of the teeth of 1st gear. I remember it cost me a grand total of $25.00 to fix it. My next car was a '65 Impalla with a 283 four in the floor. I tried several different intake/carb combinations thru-out that year but then got a good deal on a '70 Dodge Challenger 4-speed (440 ci). I put a Holly (they are located in Bowling Green KY about 50 miles from where I live. Same place as where they make the Corvette) carb and intake on it and changed cams to a solid unit with adjustable rocker arms. I did much better with that car. We put drag slicks on it and 1 air shock on the right side of the rear end and a worn out shock on the left (we could adjust it to different track conditions but only on one side but, it was enough). It hooked up great but was a pain in the butt to drive (after switching to street tires) around town. So, I bought another ('73) Challenger (automatic) for street duties (took out the 318 and put in a 340). These lasted me a few years until the motor blew up in the drag car (missed shift) and a drunk driver creamed my street car in the parking lot of the mall (no one was injured but the car was pretty much totaled) not more than 3 weeks apart. Sold them both for about $2000.00. I joined the Air Force and bought a 1977 Z28 (350 ci). I got stationed at Wurtsmith AFB and my drag racing at local tracks went on hold for about 3 years (there were no local tracks). So I kept the car sane. I then cross trained into another job and was stationed at Grissom Indiana. I sold that car in Indiana and bought a brand new 1989 Mustang GT. The local track was Bunker Hill (1/8) and the new Mustang did pretty well. It responded well to all the modifications done to it and I was impressed. Force Reduction Act took care of my Air Force days and I came home to Kentucky, got a job at the Post Office and didn't like that (now I know where the term "Going Postal" comes from...) and got a job at Dana (building frames for GM, Ford, Mercedes, Toyota). Been there for 14 years. Along the way I sold the (89) Mustang (167,000 miles on it) to one of the guys in the club (Mustang) and bought a new 1994 Mustang GT. The same mods worked again for the '94 GT. Raced at 4 local tracks (when I had time off) Beech Bend(1/4), Windy Hollow(1/8), Clarksville (1/8), and Music City (1/8). Sold the (94) Mustang (201,000 miles on her) to a guy who blew up his Chevy truck. I bought a 2006 Roush Stage 1 (wanted a black GT but got a Red Fire Roush (attracts way too much attention)). It does a fair job of getting down the track but the little 4.6 (281 ci) and with the extra weight, it is very hard to launch with. I still beat my racing buddy's "92 LX 5.0 (it's modified with Trick Flow twisted heads and pullies and X303 cam and a few other things). Although, he is getting closer to beating me. But now my racing is less competetive and doing it more for the fun of it. I have along the way been on the Road Atlanta race course (although not my cup of tea, it was fun). I have been to all kinds of racing events (Belgian Grand Prix (3), German Grand Prix (2) Sports Nationals (?) U.S. Nationals (6) Indianpolis 500 (4) Charlotte 600 (1) (never was into Nascar) NMRA, Fun Ford weekends) and, alot of tractor pulls and motorcycle racies and countless dirt tracks (car and motorcycles, and have raced both), Reno Air Races (actually worked on Bob Loves P-51 Mustang as part of the crew (1983), and alot of SCCA and AV8SS events. Our Mustang club did parade laps for Nashville Motorplex 2 weeks ago. So the list goes on and on. I have been around alot of cars and races. As for accomplishments, I have alot but most of the time has been for fun. Most of the trophies have been lost, broken and thrown away. Never had much use for them, took up alot of space, and no one cares what you did yesterday, it's always what your going to do today. Now that I'm 50 (51 the end of the month) I have slowed down but I'm not out of it yet. I still have some kind of a plan for the current car but that will take some time. Any more questions?
    Last edited by RedRoushOne; 09-03-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Most cars are better than factory stock with a few bolt ons....but then, is that factory stock? Did your car come from the factory with the bolt ons and drag radials? Mine didn't. You put drag radials on just about anything and it will do better than with street tires.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i saw a 02 zo6 on autotrader for about 24-25k today,black,sharp

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Good stuff redroushone. Sounds like you've been at this for a while. No hard feelings man. If everyone agreed about everything, I wouldn't be going to Iraq this week.

Later,

Chris

Black
    1998 Z/28

damn, talk about a thread gettin off track quickly, heh
    http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wheelieke5.jpg361hp 351tq 98 Z/28 A4 SLP Lid/Smooth Bellow/LM2 K&N Filter Pacesetter Headers TSP Y Pipe Z06 Style Wheels B&M shifter Yank 3200 Prothane Motor/Trans Mounts Torquer V2/7.425" p-rods/Comp Springs
    $, the replacement for displacement.

Chris, keep your head down. Our club is giving a sendoff to alot of our Ft. Campbell members this coming weekend. Alot of them are going back for the second time. Wish you could come up here for the sendoff.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information