Thread: '96 3000 gt-vr4

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

'96 3000 gt-vr4

It killed itself.......lol. Test driving this car for a shaking braking condition, customer had a 7 point list which looked like he got from his internet buddies. Getting up to speed, pulled pretty good 1st gear, shifted into 2nd and the gas pedal went to the floor like it broke the cable, the car revved pretty good, then shut off. I'm on the side of the highway, trucks going past, kinda scarey. The air inlet for the throttle body came off, downstream of the MAF, causing the stall. The clamp fell on the linkage, causing the WOT problem. Only had a small pocket screwdriver with me, it wasn't enought to keep the clamp on, so it would start, run for a second, and stall because it kept coming off. I drove it like this to get farther away from traffic, then was able to get it on better.

It had full (I think Borla) exhaust with no convertors, a "racing clutch, be careful you will stall it 10x trying to get it into the shop". Never did stall it, his list of things was not the shaking condition, has four bald tires, fixed a tie rod, alignment. The shaking was from warped front rotors, but he insisted that was not the problem since all 4 were new as well as pads. Slotted and drilled.

It did pull nicely from 3000 to 5200, but then it ran out of steam even tho 7k redline.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

You redline customer's cars? I'd be really really really mad if I took my car somewhere and they beat on it.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

It happens every where every day

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

then to post about it.... i've seen threads where mechanics posted up about beating on customers cars. one got caught and subsequently fired. if i remember correctly, it was a cadillac CTS-V.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Dark Teal
    1997 Grand Prix GTP

Every time I get my car back from a shop and they have to test drive it, it's in performance shift...I should bolt on a 2.8 pulley and let people work on it, then let them buy me a new engine when they go out and beat on it. If I actually found out for sure anyone beat the shit out of my car I would not be happy...as of now I am thinking they probably just have a little fun with it, otherwise my tires would be bald and they would probably get pulled over.

You really shouldn't beat on the car unless the driver needs work done that requires that (high rpm problems, ect)

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    You redline customer's cars? I'd be really really really mad if I took my car somewhere and they beat on it.
    Uh, let's see. No where did I say I redlined his car, I shifted it twice at 5500 RPM. The car has a 7000 redline. I did not beat on it. There is a difference between reving someone's car to 5000 then dumping the clutch (beating on it) vs. getting up to speed to merge with interstate traffic.

I drive customers' cars with more respect then I drive my own.

I think beating on a car is having to rev a car to near redline, dump the clutch and hope the driveline doesn't explode to get a sub 5 sec 0-60 time.
    Last edited by Too Fast; 02-10-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor285 View Post
    Every time I get my car back from a shop and they have to test drive it, it's in performance shift...I should bolt on a 2.8 pulley and let people work on it, then let them buy me a new engine when they go out and beat on it. If I actually found out for sure anyone beat the shit out of my car I would not be happy...as of now I am thinking they probably just have a little fun with it, otherwise my tires would be bald and they would probably get pulled over.

You really shouldn't beat on the car unless the driver needs work done that requires that (high rpm problems, ect)

I did not beat on the car!!! Or other customers cars.

I would not be happy either if I saw someone take my car for a beating!

Getting up to merging speed, not spinning anyones tires, no clutch dumping is not beating on a car. I just thought it was funny how this car popped off its' air inlet to its' throttle body when the boost hit.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

As a technician, its good practice to treat a customers car like you would treat it if they were riding with you. You never know when you could end up on Dateline NBC with a hidden camera showing how you were driving.

Basically you want to drive the car in a way that best helps you diagnose the problem, not in a way that may make that problem or any other worse.

So if a customer comes in saying the car stumbles at 3000RPM, you verify the complaint by taking it to the specified interval. If they say the car shakes at 70MPH, you take it to that speed, don't go pegging it on the speed limiter.

However, on the other hand, there are situations where you may need to drive the car in a performance manner in order to diagnose the issue. If the customer reports that the car loses power right before redline at wide open throttle, thats how you're going to have to drive it to verify the complaint. In that case its totally legit. Use good judgement and you won't end up on somebody's bad side.

As for the 3000GT falling apart, thats normal. Those cars are very poorly build and are widely known for being unreliable.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    then to post about it.... i've seen threads where mechanics posted up about beating on customers cars. one got caught and subsequently fired. if i remember correctly, it was a cadillac CTS-V.
    And those "technicians" should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    As a technician, its good practice to treat a customers car like you would treat it if they were riding with you. You never know when you could end up on Dateline NBC with a hidden camera showing how you were driving.

Basically you want to drive the car in a way that best helps you diagnose the problem, not in a way that may make that problem or any other worse.

So if a customer comes in saying the car stumbles at 3000RPM, you verify the complaint by taking it to the specified interval. If they say the car shakes at 70MPH, you take it to that speed, don't go pegging it on the speed limiter.

However, on the other hand, there are situations where you may need to drive the car in a performance manner in order to diagnose the issue. If the customer reports that the car loses power right before redline at wide open throttle, thats how you're going to have to drive it to verify the complaint. In that case its totally legit. Use good judgement and you won't end up on somebody's bad side.

As for the 3000GT falling apart, thats normal. Those cars are very poorly build and are widely known for being unreliable.
    That was my whole reason for the post. Glad you understood anyway!

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post

And Chris Hanson will come out of no where... "why don't you have a seat right over there!"

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    And Chris Hanson will come out of no where... "why don't you have a seat right over there!"
    Don't know who Chris Hanson is, but I am not worried about any hidden camera in any car that I work on. Nothing I do will get me fired or result in disciplinary action by the company against me. Nor anybody else in our shop, we are reputable.

I do love to see those hidden camera episodes! Dumbasses caught on tape, then trying to say they did nothing until they see the video.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Don't know who Chris Hanson is, but I am not worried about any hidden camera in any car that I work on. Nothing I do will get me fired or result in disciplinary action by the company against me. Nor anybody else in our shop, we are reputable.

I do love to see those hidden camera episodes! Dumbasses caught on tape, then trying to say they did nothing until they see the video.
    You know... Chris Hansen... they host from To Catch a Predator on dateline NBC?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

OK, googled Chris Hansen and found out I don't have to worry about him. I'm not a sexual predator, just guilty of driving customers' cars to find out what the problem really is.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

OK, googled Chris Hansen and found out I don't have to worry about him. I'm not a sexual predator, just guilty of driving customers' cars to find out what the problem really is.
    You are molesting vehicles!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Sometimes I'm a little slow. Built too low to the ground, they fly right over me!

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Sometimes I'm a little slow. Built too low to the ground, they fly right over me!
    Tis ok.... I would have felt retarded if no one got that....

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    Same. My friend had that happen to his car at a paint shop that was painting his car. It was a reputable shop and they do good work, but they took his cammed C5 ZO6 for 70 miles of joyriding. Needless to say, they got fired.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

not really a kill, so closing.

Thread Information