Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 112

290 WHP out out of a Stage 1 SRT?WTF

This is a discussion on 290 WHP out out of a Stage 1 SRT?WTF within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Wesman We drive LS1's. We fear no roll races, especially not from turbo 4 bangers. Weight matters ...

  1. #81
    Resident SRT-4 ambassador
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    121

    Black
    2005 SRT-4

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    We drive LS1's. We fear no roll races, especially not from turbo 4 bangers.

    Weight matters much less from a roll than it does in a 1/4 mile, its all about raw top end horsepower and aerodynamics.
    And to be fair, with your gas saving 6th gear, 30mpg all highway miles isn't outside the realm of possibility. That's about what an SRT-4 pulls when we stay out of boost (on highways). Otherwise, I bet our 'around town' mileage is the same.

    Oh, and this response is coming from the angle of a turbo four banger saving gas, etc. etc. LS1/2's are definitely scary from a roll.

  2. #82
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 4TEHW View Post
    And to be fair, with your gas saving 6th gear, 30mpg all highway miles isn't outside the realm of possibility. That's about what an SRT-4 pulls when we stay out of boost (on highways). Otherwise, I bet our 'around town' mileage is the same.

    Oh, and this response is coming from the angle of a turbo four banger saving gas, etc. etc. LS1/2's are definitely scary from a roll.
    Well...I didn't say anything about saving gas

    But I'm not going to disagree with what you said, sounds right to me.

  3. #83
    Resident SRT-4 ambassador
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    121

    Black
    2005 SRT-4

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Well...I didn't say anything about saving gas

    But I'm not going to disagree with what you said, sounds right to me.
    I know YOU didn't, but others in this thread (or maybe other thread I've been reading) listed that as one plus to getting an SRT-4 over an LS1.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    We drive LS1's. We fear no roll races, especially not from turbo 4 bangers.

    Weight matters much less from a roll than it does in a 1/4 mile, its all about raw top end horsepower and aerodynamics.
    Well if that turbo 4 banger is putting down the same power its going to walk it because its 400lbs lighter and has plenty o torque. WE're talking against a STOCK LS1 btw for reference.

  5. #85
    Member 4tun8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    PA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    485

    Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

    Weight always matters Wesman, I don't know what on earth makes you think that it doesn't matter from a roll.

    Take 2 cars of equal gearing, aerodynamics, and hp/tq and strip one of 400lbs and the lighter will win.

    Seriously man engage the brain.

  6. #86
    Senior Member Street Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge "Raceway Park" N.J.
    Posts
    1,249
    2009 Corvette ZO6

    Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    Take 2 cars of equal gearing, aerodynamics, and hp/tq and strip one of 400lbs and the lighter will win...
    Quite true, as the ole racer adage goes; every one hundred pound reduction in weight, equates to a tenth in the quarter mile....

  7. #87
    BAHHBYE Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gonzales, La
    Posts
    2,862

    06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

    I know when i have an extra person in my car it is way slower.....thats one the disadvantages to low displacement

  8. #88
    Formy4Ever Red4Mula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Angelo, Tx
    Age
    30
    Posts
    224

    Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    yep, me and zboner test drove a stage 2...it wasn't tourq-ie or anything. it did ok from 25-90, but that was it. Oh, did Dodge figur out a new way to assemble the stick shift? while testing it, i went for 2nd and *POP* the stick pulled out, i just handed it back to the dealer who went driving with us. LOL he's like "um...that's not supposed to happen"
    lol

  9. #89
    BAHHBYE Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gonzales, La
    Posts
    2,862

    06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

    Yea with the stock mechanism teh stupid ball comes off. Its not a screw in like normal, just a pop on.....stupid configuration if you ask me..

  10. #90
    Resident SRT-4 ambassador
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    121

    Black
    2005 SRT-4

    Quote Originally Posted by 05 Stone Srt-4 View Post
    I know when i have an extra person in my car it is way slower.....thats one the disadvantages to low displacement
    It's kinda of odd, but it's VERY noticeable.

  11. #91
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the janitors closet
    Posts
    5,451
    One more and I'm gone....

    a skiddle....come on have a little dignity...hes got no chance even if all that bs is true you would still take him

  12. #92
    BAHHBYE Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gonzales, La
    Posts
    2,862

    06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

    Quote Originally Posted by burnws6 View Post
    a skiddle....come on have a little dignity...hes got no chance even if all that bs is true you would still take him
    Dont under estimate.......i dont know what hutch has done but IF that car has 290 to the wheels....thats about what i have and im running bout 109ish in teh 1/4.....but if that car has only those mods hes not making 290 to the wheels and if Hutch is stock he should have no problem

  13. #93
    Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,779

    06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

    They SRT still doesnt want to race. I just tried to get him to race again and he still backed down never really giving a real excuse. Im waiting tho because this kid has a lot of money so i know he will have more performane mod this summer. I should be ready, my next mods are a tune from PCMforlees and a small dry shot of nitrous at most a 100shot.

  14. #94
    BAHHBYE Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gonzales, La
    Posts
    2,862

    06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

    Sweet!!! Yea it figures he doesnt wanna race.......see its kids like those that give us a bad rep..

  15. #95
    Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,779

    06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

    I plan on not telling anyone about these future mods and just installing them myself with the help of my dad. That way as far as he knows ill still be the same set up as when he rode in my car. Now all Im waiting on is my tax money here in a little while. The nitrous should pretty much seal the deal even if this kid goes stage 2, dont you you think Stone?

  16. #96
    Resident SRT-4 ambassador
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    121

    Black
    2005 SRT-4

    Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    I plan on not telling anyone about these future mods and just installing them myself with the help of my dad. That way as far as he knows ill still be the same set up as when he rode in my car. Now all Im waiting on is my tax money here in a little while. The nitrous should pretty much seal the deal even if this kid goes stage 2, dont you you think Stone?
    With nitrous, I'm thinking it's a done deal. If he goes Stage II, then at that point he might have his claimed 290whp. But with more mods on your LS1 and a 100 shot, you got him easy.

  17. #97
    Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,779

    06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

    If it ever goes down I'll try to post a video for everyone to watch.

  18. #98
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    Weight always matters Wesman, I don't know what on earth makes you think that it doesn't matter from a roll.

    Take 2 cars of equal gearing, aerodynamics, and hp/tq and strip one of 400lbs and the lighter will win.

    Seriously man engage the brain.
    "Seriously man", stop acting like a know-it-all and mis-quoting me.

    I never said that weight doesn't matter from a roll. I said weight seems to matter less from a roll than it does from a dig, just based on personal experience and what I've seen. Top speed has nothing do do with weight, period. Take 2 identical cars, one weighting 1000lbs more, and they will both still reach the same top speed. One just takes longer.

    I know plenty of guys who have high 12 second engine swapped civics and the like, who can keep up with high 12 second F-bodies on the street. They do so by having less weight, even though they only have 1/2 the power. However, put both at a highway speed roll, and its raw horsepower, cubic inches, and gearing that come into play much more, and the car with less power often gets walked. I can't count the number of times I've seen a 4 banger import get walked from a roll by a V8 muscle car, even though they have similar ET's in the 1/4 mile.

  19. #99
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    Well if that turbo 4 banger is putting down the same power its going to walk it because its 400lbs lighter and has plenty o torque. WE're talking against a STOCK LS1 btw for reference.
    Thats funny because I've seen plenty of modded Evos, who claim to be pushing near 300WHP, get walked by stock LS1's from a roll. Just face it, small displacement 4 banger's aren't good in terms of top end and top speed. They are buzzy little motors that are quick due to weight and gearing, put them in a race against a something like an LS1 or Mustang Cobra from a roll, and its curtains.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Thats funny because I've seen plenty of modded Evos, who claim to be pushing near 300WHP, get walked by stock LS1's from a roll. Just face it, small displacement 4 banger's aren't good in terms of top end and top speed. They are buzzy little motors that are quick due to weight and gearing, put them in a race against a something like an LS1 or Mustang Cobra from a roll, and its curtains.

    If thats the case, well then that "claim" wasnt too factual. The top end is dependent upon just that, top end power. You make it sound like no matter what the 4 has done, it wont win because it doenst have top end. Their are 6 second 4cylinders, so would they lose in a roll race to a "Cobra or LS1". Lets be serious.

    If one car is 300whp and another is 300whp and one is hundreds of pounds lighter, 99.9% of the time, the lighter one will win. Assuming both equal drivers and such. There was a race back from a couple months ago of a full bolt on LS1 M6 getting passed at 150+mph by an EVO with stock turbo.... I bet I can dig that up. What happened in that race?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Patriot Ls6 Stage 2 vs TSP 5.3 stage 2.5 Heads
    By jetaws6 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 07:11 AM
  2. Question: Tsp Stage 2.5 Or Patriot Stage 2?
    By cmcdonald in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 06:19 PM
  3. WS6 vs Stage 2 SRT-4
    By NiteRiderWs6 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 07:48 AM
  4. Stage 3 srt-4
    By BlackBeastLS1 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-23-2006, 08:32 AM
  5. Stage II Pcm?
    By z28jerad in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 07:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •