Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

290 WHP out out of a Stage 1 SRT?WTF

This is a discussion on 290 WHP out out of a Stage 1 SRT?WTF within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Wesman We drive LS1's. We fear no roll races, especially not from turbo 4 bangers. Weight matters ...

Resident SRT-4 ambassador

Black
    2005 SRT-4

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    We drive LS1's. We fear no roll races, especially not from turbo 4 bangers.

Weight matters much less from a roll than it does in a 1/4 mile, its all about raw top end horsepower and aerodynamics.
    And to be fair, with your gas saving 6th gear, 30mpg all highway miles isn't outside the realm of possibility. That's about what an SRT-4 pulls when we stay out of boost (on highways). Otherwise, I bet our 'around town' mileage is the same.

Oh, and this response is coming from the angle of a turbo four banger saving gas, etc. etc. LS1/2's are definitely scary from a roll.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 4TEHW View Post
    And to be fair, with your gas saving 6th gear, 30mpg all highway miles isn't outside the realm of possibility. That's about what an SRT-4 pulls when we stay out of boost (on highways). Otherwise, I bet our 'around town' mileage is the same.

Oh, and this response is coming from the angle of a turbo four banger saving gas, etc. etc. LS1/2's are definitely scary from a roll.
    Well...I didn't say anything about saving gas

But I'm not going to disagree with what you said, sounds right to me.

Black
    2005 SRT-4

Well...I didn't say anything about saving gas

But I'm not going to disagree with what you said, sounds right to me.
    I know YOU didn't, but others in this thread (or maybe other thread I've been reading) listed that as one plus to getting an SRT-4 over an LS1.

We drive LS1's. We fear no roll races, especially not from turbo 4 bangers.

Weight matters much less from a roll than it does in a 1/4 mile, its all about raw top end horsepower and aerodynamics.
    Well if that turbo 4 banger is putting down the same power its going to walk it because its 400lbs lighter and has plenty o torque. WE're talking against a STOCK LS1 btw for reference.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Weight always matters Wesman, I don't know what on earth makes you think that it doesn't matter from a roll.

Take 2 cars of equal gearing, aerodynamics, and hp/tq and strip one of 400lbs and the lighter will win.

Seriously man engage the brain.

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    Take 2 cars of equal gearing, aerodynamics, and hp/tq and strip one of 400lbs and the lighter will win...
    Quite true, as the ole racer adage goes; every one hundred pound reduction in weight, equates to a tenth in the quarter mile....

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

I know when i have an extra person in my car it is way slower.....thats one the disadvantages to low displacement

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    yep, me and zboner test drove a stage 2...it wasn't tourq-ie or anything. it did ok from 25-90, but that was it. Oh, did Dodge figur out a new way to assemble the stick shift? while testing it, i went for 2nd and *POP* the stick pulled out, i just handed it back to the dealer who went driving with us. LOL he's like "um...that's not supposed to happen"
    lol

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Yea with the stock mechanism teh stupid ball comes off. Its not a screw in like normal, just a pop on.....stupid configuration if you ask me..

Black
    2005 SRT-4

Quote Originally Posted by 05 Stone Srt-4 View Post
    I know when i have an extra person in my car it is way slower.....thats one the disadvantages to low displacement
    It's kinda of odd, but it's VERY noticeable.

Impounded
    One more and I'm gone....

a skiddle....come on have a little dignity...hes got no chance even if all that bs is true you would still take him

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Quote Originally Posted by burnws6 View Post
    a skiddle....come on have a little dignity...hes got no chance even if all that bs is true you would still take him
    Dont under estimate.......i dont know what hutch has done but IF that car has 290 to the wheels....thats about what i have and im running bout 109ish in teh 1/4.....but if that car has only those mods hes not making 290 to the wheels and if Hutch is stock he should have no problem

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

They SRT still doesnt want to race. I just tried to get him to race again and he still backed down never really giving a real excuse. Im waiting tho because this kid has a lot of money so i know he will have more performane mod this summer. I should be ready, my next mods are a tune from PCMforlees and a small dry shot of nitrous at most a 100shot.

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Sweet!!! Yea it figures he doesnt wanna race.......see its kids like those that give us a bad rep..

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

I plan on not telling anyone about these future mods and just installing them myself with the help of my dad. That way as far as he knows ill still be the same set up as when he rode in my car. Now all Im waiting on is my tax money here in a little while. The nitrous should pretty much seal the deal even if this kid goes stage 2, dont you you think Stone?

Black
    2005 SRT-4

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    I plan on not telling anyone about these future mods and just installing them myself with the help of my dad. That way as far as he knows ill still be the same set up as when he rode in my car. Now all Im waiting on is my tax money here in a little while. The nitrous should pretty much seal the deal even if this kid goes stage 2, dont you you think Stone?
    With nitrous, I'm thinking it's a done deal. If he goes Stage II, then at that point he might have his claimed 290whp. But with more mods on your LS1 and a 100 shot, you got him easy.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

If it ever goes down I'll try to post a video for everyone to watch.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    Weight always matters Wesman, I don't know what on earth makes you think that it doesn't matter from a roll.

Take 2 cars of equal gearing, aerodynamics, and hp/tq and strip one of 400lbs and the lighter will win.

Seriously man engage the brain.
    "Seriously man", stop acting like a know-it-all and mis-quoting me.

I never said that weight doesn't matter from a roll. I said weight seems to matter less from a roll than it does from a dig, just based on personal experience and what I've seen. Top speed has nothing do do with weight, period. Take 2 identical cars, one weighting 1000lbs more, and they will both still reach the same top speed. One just takes longer.

I know plenty of guys who have high 12 second engine swapped civics and the like, who can keep up with high 12 second F-bodies on the street. They do so by having less weight, even though they only have 1/2 the power. However, put both at a highway speed roll, and its raw horsepower, cubic inches, and gearing that come into play much more, and the car with less power often gets walked. I can't count the number of times I've seen a 4 banger import get walked from a roll by a V8 muscle car, even though they have similar ET's in the 1/4 mile.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    Well if that turbo 4 banger is putting down the same power its going to walk it because its 400lbs lighter and has plenty o torque. WE're talking against a STOCK LS1 btw for reference.
    Thats funny because I've seen plenty of modded Evos, who claim to be pushing near 300WHP, get walked by stock LS1's from a roll. Just face it, small displacement 4 banger's aren't good in terms of top end and top speed. They are buzzy little motors that are quick due to weight and gearing, put them in a race against a something like an LS1 or Mustang Cobra from a roll, and its curtains.

Thats funny because I've seen plenty of modded Evos, who claim to be pushing near 300WHP, get walked by stock LS1's from a roll. Just face it, small displacement 4 banger's aren't good in terms of top end and top speed. They are buzzy little motors that are quick due to weight and gearing, put them in a race against a something like an LS1 or Mustang Cobra from a roll, and its curtains.

If thats the case, well then that "claim" wasnt too factual. The top end is dependent upon just that, top end power. You make it sound like no matter what the 4 has done, it wont win because it doenst have top end. Their are 6 second 4cylinders, so would they lose in a roll race to a "Cobra or LS1". Lets be serious.

If one car is 300whp and another is 300whp and one is hundreds of pounds lighter, 99.9% of the time, the lighter one will win. Assuming both equal drivers and such. There was a race back from a couple months ago of a full bolt on LS1 M6 getting passed at 150+mph by an EVO with stock turbo.... I bet I can dig that up. What happened in that race?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information