Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am WS6

2007 Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart

Raced my buddy's stock Ralliart this past Monday. First race EVER so I think my lackluster performance can be attributed, in part, to that. I started late (I think once I heard his wheels bark) and mashed it. I ended up taking him, but only by about half a car length... It was nice to win my first time, but I felt like I should have done better. Both autos, by the way. And I'm pretty much stock...

I also had the TCS on... Any advice outside of the obvious would be appreciated. Thanks, guys.

By the by, I think the Ralliarts put out about 258hp or something like that...

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Bull View Post
    Raced my buddy's stock Ralliart this past Monday. First race EVER so I think my lackluster performance can be attributed, in part, to that. I started late (I think once I heard his wheels bark) and mashed it. I ended up taking him, but only by about half a car length... It was nice to win my first time, but I felt like I should have done better. Both autos, by the way. And I'm pretty much stock...

I also had the TCS on... Any advice outside of the obvious would be appreciated. Thanks, guys.

yeah u prob screwed up with the tcs on...cause u shoulda killed him by aaaaaa lllllllot more,lol..its cool race him again, and then he'll prob be like waaaaaaaaa????
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    yeah u prob screwed up with the tcs on...cause u shoulda killed him by aaaaaa lllllllot more,lol..its cool race him again, and then he'll prob be like waaaaaaaaa????
    Yeah, I knew that wasn't a great idea, but I only owned my last Trans Am for four days before totaling it in bad weather. A beautiful red '97, my tires were in bad shape and I had the TCS off so I could really show my passenger the power. Long story short, a few quick spins and here I am a year later just getting over it thanks to my new '98, Next time, though, I'll definitely have it turned off.

While we're on the subject, would you say it's relatively safe to drive around without it turned on? I would imagine so... Just a lil paranoid...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

That doesn't seem right at all. Are you sure you were flooring it??

Ralliart Galants weigh 3748lbs, and only have 258HP. So about 215-220HP at the front wheels. It has a 5 speed automatic.

Your car weighs about 3450lbs, and puts down about 280HP at the wheels.

You should have slaughtered him. Something isn't right

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Yeah, I knew that wasn't a great idea, but I only owned my last Trans Am for four days before totaling it in bad weather. A beautiful red '97, my tires were in bad shape and I had the TCS off so I could really show my passenger the power. Long story short, a few quick spins and here I am a year later just getting over it thanks to my new '98, Next time, though, I'll definitely have it turned off.

While we're on the subject, would you say it's relatively safe to drive around without it turned on? I would imagine so... Just a lil paranoid...
    My car doesn't even have traction control, and its a 6 speed.

Just invest in some good tires, and learn how to control your car when it starts to go sideways. RWD takes some time to master

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Like I said, the TCS was on and it was my very first street race. I started late, too. I won, but was very disappointed in my performance. I'd like to try again, but that brings me into conflict with the fiancee...

well when its dry out, your fine with it off...when its wet be careful, i caught myself in my goat with it off and wet out goin sideways in turns sometimes, so put it on to be safe, but you can keep it off if you know when and when not to push your luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    That doesn't seem right at all. Are you sure you were flooring it??

Ralliart Galants weigh 3748lbs, and only have 258HP. So about 215-220HP at the front wheels. It has a 5 speed automatic.

Your car weighs about 3450lbs, and puts down about 280HP at the wheels.

You should have slaughtered him. Something isn't right
    yeah i agree but it could been a short race, and with tcs on and flooring it...it just hesitates and feels like the fuel injectors are clogged or sumtin,lol...tcs on really fucks up any race big time, i can see it happening, thats why i said race him again with it off cause the dude prob thinks he can hang with a ls1 ta,lol...

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Lol, yeah, gonna need to do it at LEAST one more time. Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: And yeah, it was kind of a short race.

Lol, yeah, gonna need to do it at LEAST one more time. Thanks for the advice.
    no prob man

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

yeah i agree but it could been a short race, and with tcs on and flooring it...it just hesitates and feels like the fuel injectors are clogged or sumtin,lol...tcs on really fucks up any race big time, i can see it happening, thats why i said race him again with it off cause the dude prob thinks he can hang with a ls1 ta,lol...
    Damn that sucks, I've never driven an LS1 with Traction Control, so I didn't know intrusive it was. I'm glad my car doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Damn that sucks, I've never driven an LS1 with Traction Control, so I didn't know intrusive it was. I'm glad my car doesn't have it.
    u dont have a ls1 with traction control?? what do u drive? and yeah it blows, just yesterday i went wot from 30mph with it on at a nice dark open country road out...got pissed that it started friggin hesitating like king kong was pullin at the back of my car but tried to fight and got the full effect of the "wot tcs duel" it sucks big time...i just gave up,lol

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Mine has TCs and belive me when your a m6 and forget to turn off TCS lol have fun. TCS just totally boggs down your motor if you slip for more then and instant.

Thank god you can turn it off with just the push of a button.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Why would you turn it off in the rain though? The thing works really well how its supposed to. I almost never have mine on when its dry out but that bad boy is always on when its raining......

And BTW, holy hell dude, you should have slaughtered him.....
    96 Imp SS- 12.74@103, 1.74 60' out of fuel

06 AWD TB SS- 12.58@106, 1.76 60'

01 Camaro SS- Totaled

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

I have 2 H/C LS1's with M6's. My firehawk doesn't have the TCS, but my WS-6 does. Both are safe in the rain. I usually leave it off all of the time. I just watch it and don't mess around in the rain. The TCS really kicks the pedal back when it is on. I really hate trying to start off with it on, because of the setup I run. But every now and again if it is real slick out I will turn it on for safety.

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by 2001hawk View Post
    I have 2 H/C LS1's with M6's. My firehawk doesn't have the TCS, but my WS-6 does. Both are safe in the rain. I usually leave it off all of the time. I just watch it and don't mess around in the rain. The TCS really kicks the pedal back when it is on. I really hate trying to start off with it on, because of the setup I run. But every now and again if it is real slick out I will turn it on for safety.
    Oh yeah I agree turn it off when you race him again. I don't know much about the Galant's but you ought not have too much trouble putting him down. And you should be able to give him the jump that way he can't use that as an excuse.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

u dont have a ls1 with traction control?? what do u drive? and yeah it blows, just yesterday i went wot from 30mph with it on at a nice dark open country road out...got pissed that it started friggin hesitating like king kong was pullin at the back of my car but tried to fight and got the full effect of the "wot tcs duel" it sucks big time...i just gave up,lol
    Nope.

Traction Control was an option from the factory, and that option box on my car wasn't checked

I drive the car listed in my userpanel, '98 Trans Am M6.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
    And BTW, holy hell dude, you should have slaughtered him.....
    I know, I know... Next time I will,

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Traction control is for wussies that don't know how to drive....

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Traction control is for wussies that don't know how to drive....
    damnit...you beat me to it. good call

traction control shouldnt even be an option. who the hell needs it. the idea of punching the gas in a rwd v8 is for the tires TO go up in a blazing fit of joy, not chirp because of power cut. tcs is a worthless thing even though it does in fact work, and you shouldnt need it if you use common sense when driving in the elements. i didnt even use it when st. louis got like a foot of snow this winter! of course i got stuck on two hills and my driveway for an hour and a half but my point is still valid???????

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I have driven my car in the snow once and i had to turn off the TCS off the line. I would go really slow but still spin cutting the power and when you cut the power off the line in a m6 it feels like it is goin to die.

Thread Information