Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

2002 Z28 vs. WRX sti

This is a discussion on 2002 Z28 vs. WRX sti within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; STi's weigh 3263 lbs ! I admit from a roll STi's are not good due to drivetrain loss ! It's ...

TBA
    67' rs/ss

STi's weigh 3263 lbs ! I admit from a roll STi's are not good due to drivetrain loss ! It's not like your passing an STi as if your racing a stock 91' Civic. And other than going in a straight line unless you have vette a camaro, trans am, GTO's, etc are jokes going thru the twisties without some kinda suspension work !

I do happen to have both a 04 STi and a 67' Camaro RS/SS ! I love them both. My Camaro is my project car that I'm planning on doing a C4 rear end(dana 44) and suspension conversion on along with a turbo LS1 and T56 tranny, tubular control arms, and coilovers F/R.

For whats it is the STi isn't a bad car ! Its fast in a straight line but thats not where it shines, put it on a road course and it is superb(evo has better handling). If the STi and the Evo were rwd they would be faster due to being lighter cause they wouldn't have the awd system.

Just my .02 !

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

to get their would have to go for the 2.4 block and then start from there. I have a buddy who is swapping out his 2.0 which is already putting down 360somethin whp and 330 somethin wtq. He also just got a six speed tranny setup with everything down to the brakes, his is originally a wrx, but this dude is plopping down some major money. All that money spent........ shit he could have turbocharged f-body for less.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

if every body spent all there money on an f-body we wouldnt have over priced over modded cars to spank!!!!!

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

agreeed with u daz-e but thats not the argument......the argument is about a straight line..if we were talkin about a rd course i would hands down give it to a stock sti vs a stock ss or ws6....but am i alloud to pick up a used stock z06 for 30k and race it against a used stock sti for 25k on a rd course???

WHITE
    2000 Z28 M6

I hate sti's... I street raced one that was pimped thought it was a good race till he decided to use his nitrous a about 100mph an he was bye bye

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Let me guess, you drive an STI

First off, the numbers you posted for the STI are very optomistic. They trap at approximately 100-101MPH, 103MPH is extremely rare. They also don't run 4.5 0-60 or 13.0 flat 1/4 miles, more like 4.8 to 60 and 13.4 1/4 mile times. Somebody obviously put in the wrong correction factor on that test...

Also, since your obviously clueless, 98-02 F-Bodies don't weigh 300lbs more than an STI. My 98 T/A weighs in at 3450lbs, and an STI weighs in at 3351lbs. Thats a 99lb difference, lay off the drugs

An and for the record, M6 LS1's trap at 106-108MPH stock. Thats between 6 and 8MPH more than an STI. Stop trying to make it look like the STI is close, its a joke from anything other than a dig.
    Yes I drive an STI, Supra TT and I used to own a 95 LT1 Camaro when I was much younger so I have a decent view of import and domestic performance. I'm not on this board to say the STI is better, I'm here because I like and respect performance cars in general and that incudes the LT1, LS1 and LS2 powered cars.

You say optimistic, but not really. If magazines can pull the times you say are "Extremely Rare" and forum members can pull similar if not better times then you are on the outside looking in and not really open to the proven numbers that exist. Low end traps are 100mph, high end are 104mph. 13.0-13.4 1/4 mile times and 0-60 in 4.5-4.9. It's been well documented and there really is no room for debate here that the car is capable of those figures.

The fact is the STI has the potential to pull those times and the LS1 has the potential to pull the times you quote, I'm not debating that the LS1 would have better performance from a roll. It's measurable and definate, but c'mon it isn't really THAT far off(Especially if the LS1 is an auto) and not that bad considering it's an awd 4-banger.

It's at least as good as an LT1 from a roll, does that make the LT1 crap or a joke from a roll? I don't think so.

Yet another source that has the STI running 13.2 @104 and weighing it an less than 3300 pounds. Is it all a conspiracy? http://modernracer.com/subaruimprezawrxsti.html
    Last edited by garrettjj; 11-08-2006 at 04:41 PM.

pewter

and not bad considering its an awd 4 banger???? it has a sticker of 33k ...and in those same mags that post those times for the sti/evo the also claim to have launched from at or near redline which they also say isnt good for the car and it couldnt handle many launches like that........your claim that it can keep up in the quarter is TRUE....BUT it cant do it AND be reliable STOCK..according to the mags your quoting

pewter

sti's/evo just arnt ment for drag racing, ive read it everywhere.....its an incredible year rd sports car that i considered when looking at cars ( evo) but i just missed the v8 rumble and all that tourqe way to much........strip LSX.....track STI/EVO.......snow....HAHHA just laugh at that one.......diff bread of cars...and im glad BOTH are sold in the states

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    and not bad considering its an awd 4 banger???? it has a sticker of 33k ...and in those same mags that post those times for the sti/evo the also claim to have launched from at or near redline which they also say isnt good for the car and it couldnt handle many launches like that........your claim that it can keep up in the quarter is TRUE....BUT it cant do it AND be reliable STOCK..according to the mags your quoting
    Hey Tony,

Yeah, it's not a "cheap" car, but it does outperform or keep up with many more expensive cars. The car is actually very reliable. It has a very strong clutch and transmission and unlike the EVO(Which has a built in rev limiter for launches) it can handle a fair amount of abuse. Trust me I know...I have the original tires on my car @ 30K miles and when I launch, a 4K(Torque peak) rpm shot is all that's needed to blast off the line hard.

Most owners of the car will tell you that there is a good and bad way to launch the car. The BAD way is to drop the clutch at 5-6k rpm. The best way is to feather the throttle at about 4K rpm and slowly release(slip) the clutch to build a little boost and when it starts to grab, quickly release and floor it. Works quite well and is not too hard on the clutch or drivetrain.

pewter

alright, ill buy that....must ONLY be the evos with the clutch probs..what kind of 60fts do u pull?

TBA
    67' rs/ss

Thanks TonyJNJZ ! You said pretty much all that I wanted to say and cleared up a lot .

obsidian black pearl
    2006 STi i drnk v8

not stir things up
    or talking shit

can u guys name a american car with a price tag less than 50k sticker when brand new
    that beats the sti / evo from all kinds of racing other than dry weather drag racing?

oh yea im sure people have red the hot rod magazine issue with sti on the cover vs 04 cobra
    i think the was the first issue of hot rod mag with an import car on the cover
    you guys should read that

like i said not here to talk shit
    i have respect for u v8 guys
    thats y i signed up here since i have many friends ith v8

pewter

2001 z06 was def just under 50k sticker when new....not positive but i belive up until 02 or 03 they were also just under 50k and DEFINITLY faster than an sti in every respect......lotus elise is under 50k and proly faster around a track.....also y buy new when u could have a barely broken in 02-03 z06 from a 60 yr old man for 30k.........u asked so im givin my 2 cents........the sti and evo are arguably the best bargin out there bang for buck for a NEW car when it comes to all out performance........personaly id rather buy used though and get somthing like i have.....how often am i racing on a track??? on the street bragging rights are in a straight line......and the rumble of a 383 gets the girls pantys wet in the seat next to me

pewter

ahh thought of a few more.........c5 prolly is faster around a track.......c6 definitly is faster and both are under 50k

TBA
    67' rs/ss

I agree ! The vette(C5 & C6) is the prolly the only one ! Lotus, Yes ! And the S2000 is not far behind. All under dry conditions . Wet, thats a different story ! Gotta love the vette though cause it kicks the crap out of porsche too around the track.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

i agree the c5 and c6 kill the evo stock for stock---all day-----then you meet dudes that launch there c5 at 5000 rpm and you wonder why your evo dumping at redline still cant take it off the line

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    alright, ill buy that....must ONLY be the evos with the clutch probs..what kind of 60fts do u pull?
    I wouldn't exactly say that, but the EVO clutch is known to be weaker than the STIs. I've been on all the STi forums for years and clutch issues are not really an issue despite people pushing their STIs quite hard. I suppose it's really how well you take care of you car and what methods you use to drive/race the car.

Stock STIs can pull 1.6XX-1.7XX 60-fts. Obviously higher if the launch is bogged. I've only been to autocross events, not the drag strip yet.

I know people on iwsti.com and clubwrx.net that have run some really good times with their stock STIs to name a few of them. Many people probably won't get quite these times, but gives you a good idea of what the car is capable with the right driver, conditions and technique.

YBNormal07--2004 WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (Stock)
    UpStateNY-STI--2005 Aspen White STi 13.1@101 1.6 60 foot (Stock)

obsidian black pearl
    2006 STi i drnk v8

3 pass of 13.2 at 103 bone stock 1.823 60 foot
    At 106 degree weather (heat wave) on piss california 91 gas
    with my 04 sti

TBA
    67' rs/ss

Yea ! Some of the guys on this site refuse to believe that those times could be achieved with a stock STi and a great driver.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Daz-E View Post
    Yea ! Some of the guys on this site refuse to believe that those times could be achieved with a stock STi and a great driver.
    Going downhill with a tailwind in cool weather with a professional driver??

Yea, sure its possible

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information