Ray Charles blue

2000 Z28 vs SRT8 300

Got smoked. Plain and simple and he picked me out!

Cruising down the highway listening to some Jethro Tull and all of the sudden a middle aged (mid 40s) guy smiles at me from the left lane. We just are heading to a nice piece or road with zero turns for at least a mile. We hit it from about 65 mph and he jumped me by a fender and slowly walked me.

My car runs 13.5X @ 104 so its not terribly slow but he walked me with ease. He wasnt stock either. With my window down I couldnt even hear my car over his exhaust. Not sure what he had but it sounded deep and very fierce. He had me by about 3 to 3.5 cars just passed the top of 3rd gear (automatic with 2.73 gears). It was a dark reddish color and after we shut down at a pretty high speed he gave me a thumbs up and slowly left me.

Not sure if even 3.73 gears and my new FROST tuned PCM will keep me with him. He was fast for sure. Nice guy too.

Disclaimer: This took place in Mexico on a deserted road and all persons and actions are completely fictitious.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Nice death, but I wouldn't call that "smoked".

Top of 3rd gear with 2.73s would be what, 150 MPH? That's a helluva long race, even for Mexico.

Those SRT8s would trap like 107-108 in stock trim, so sounds like his was stock, and yeah, their exhaust sounds pretty nasty when on full throttle.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

the 300c's seem to run better then the charger and challengers. there are a few down here in OK that are pretty rediculous. ie superchargers and lots of nitrous. but in stock form you should be able to hang with one pretty well

Ray Charles blue

I dont want to say the speed but the road was slightly down hill and could see for a few miles with zero cars. I did let off in order to get it in to OD when I saw his brake lights come on. Its the fastest I have had the car and wont do it again. Between my GTO and Corvettes this Z28 feels the worst of all of them at triple digit speeds. The closest "Mexican Federally" was about 10 miles back on his burro as I spoke to him about having lunch and he said he already had plans for a taco.

He sure didnt sound stock, thats for sure and I have heard a few of them before.

So do you think with the 3.73s and tune I should be able to hang with him?

I ran one of these in my wifes car a couple weeks ago, and they are surprising. The only SRT8 emblem is on the trunk so I didn't really know what it was at first.

He pulled around me into the fast lane with an exit coming up. Jerks do that all the time to cut you off and get in front. I was still going up through the gears, was in third at about 2000 rpm, so I said not this time, get in line.
    Little did I know it was an SRT8 and the guy was determined
    I should have went back to 2nd if I had known, instead I had the pedal down, and he kept creeping up on me. Got to my door by 70 mph, by then the rpms were coming up,,,then I started pulling away. I Got out front about 2-3 cars and let off.

He wanted more though and pulled back up and punched it after we slowed down. I let him go, and it was then I saw the SRT8 emblem on the trunk. Not bad running cars.
    Wifeys car traps 111 mph so I'd say Too Fast is about right in his statement of them trapping 107-108 mph.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    I dont want to say the speed but the road was slightly down hill and could see for a few miles with zero cars. I did let off in order to get it in to OD when I saw his brake lights come on. Its the fastest I have had the car and wont do it again. Between my GTO and Corvettes this Z28 feels the worst of all of them at triple digit speeds. The closest "Mexican Federally" was about 10 miles back on his burro as I spoke to him about having lunch and he said he already had plans for a taco.

He sure didnt sound stock, thats for sure and I have heard a few of them before.

So do you think with the 3.73s and tune I should be able to hang with him?

With a tune, LS6 intake,a nice stall, and 3.73s, you'd be running like FBJones quote below. High 12s with OE style tires, mid 12s if you wanna try and ruin your 10 bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I ran one of these in my wifes car a couple weeks ago, and they are surprising. The only SRT8 emblem is on the trunk so I didn't really know what it was at first.

He pulled around me into the fast lane with an exit coming up. Jerks do that all the time to cut you off and get in front. I was still going up through the gears, was in third at about 2000 rpm, so I said not this time, get in line.
    Little did I know it was an SRT8 and the guy was determined
    I should have went back to 2nd if I had known, instead I had the pedal down, and he kept creeping up on me. Got to my door by 70 mph, by then the rpms were coming up,,,then I started pulling away. I Got out front about 2-3 cars and let off.

He wanted more though and pulled back up and punched it after we slowed down. I let him go, and it was then I saw the SRT8 emblem on the trunk. Not bad running cars.
    Wifeys car traps 111 mph so I'd say Too Fast is about right in his statement of them trapping 107-108 mph.
    ''the guy was determined'' LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    With a tune, LS6 intake,a nice stall, and 3.73s, you'd be running like FBJones quote below. High 12s with OE style tires, mid 12s if you wanna try and ruin your 10 bolt.

Yep, and I'm sure he figured he'd motor right around me at will. I think he was shocked when he got to my door, then I pulled away from him, because after we slowed back down and he pulled along side, he had this look on his face that I can't explain As if he had never had any cars give him a run like that before.

I just wish I had known what the car was at first, and downshifted back to second gear, I think I could have embarrassed him even more.

Ray Charles blue

His is on the side of his car as well. Cant remember if it was rear of fender or frotnt of the door but it was on the side. He could have washed it a little better though.....lol

No stall for a while (if I keep it), and most likely keeping the LS1 intake on the ole girl. lol

I laughed as well.

Yep, and I'm sure he figured he'd motor right around me at will. I think he was shocked when he got to my door, then I pulled away from him, because after we slowed back down and he pulled along side, he had this look on his face that I can't explain As if he had never had any cars give him a run like that before.

I just wish I had known what the car was at first, and downshifted back to second gear, I think I could have embarrassed him even more.
    I think so too.

My goal is to hit below 13.1 with the PCM change and the 2.73 to 3.73 swap. Not sure if it will happen or not. Would like to break under the 13.0 mark but doubting it will happen.

SOM
    2002 FireHawk

Yeah I keep telling my buddies ya gotta watch out for them there youngsters. Always doing things to their motors and such... Damn kids, can't teach em anything... Always trying to whoop on older folks... Buy em books and what do they do.... eat em... Damn kids!

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Yeah I keep telling my buddies ya gotta watch out for them there youngsters. Always doing things to their motors and such... Damn kids, can't teach em anything... Always trying to whoop on older folks... Buy em books and what do they do.... eat em... Damn kids!
    Actually, although an older gentleman was driving the SRT8, I'm pretty certian I was older than him I'm embarrassed to say

It was my wifes car that this occured in. It's primarily just a driver for her, with mild things done. LS6 intake, LS6 cam, headers and an SD tune. It's really very tame.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-18-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post

My goal is to hit below 13.1 with the PCM change and the 2.73 to 3.73 swap. Not sure if it will happen or not. Would like to break under the 13.0 mark but doubting it will happen.

That would probably do it for you with a good tire, and some decent air.

If not there is always a stall converter

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Actually, although an older gentleman was driving the SRT8, I'm pretty certian I was older than him I'm embarrassed to say

It was my wifes car that this occured in. It's primarily just a driver for her, with mild things done. LS6 intake, LS6 cam, headers and an SD tune. It's really very tame.
    What is your wifes car?

Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    What is your wifes car?
    She drives a 2000 SS camaro daily.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

She drives a 2000 SS camaro daily.
    Ah cool. Ok.

Ray Charles blue

I dont want a really sticky tire. Trying to conserve the 10-bolt as LONG as possible. lol

Thread Information