Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

08ish civic si vs 02 z28

This is a discussion on 08ish civic si vs 02 z28 within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; I can rarely give props to the sound of a 4 cyl. engine, but it happens sometimes, like a real, ...

  1. #21
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    I can rarely give props to the sound of a 4 cyl. engine, but it happens sometimes, like a real, high output engine like on a motorcycle, not something relatively stock with a fart can.

  2. #22
    megs 02sunsetorangeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Decatur Tx
    Posts
    1,167

    sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

    yea for sure, not too often at all you hear a nice one.

  3. #23
    Member slpdablueZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    403

    blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

    you think it would be possible to lsx power a golf cart? that thing would have such a great power to weight ratio

  4. #24
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    ^^^Hey Dodge did it with a V10 powered motorcycle, so why not? But we are off topic.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by slpdablueZ28 View Post
    you think it would be possible to lsx power a golf cart? that thing would have such a great power to weight ratio
    The new civics are over 3klbs and are still FWD. A rx7 or 240sx is around 2700lbs so either of those are a much better choice.

  6. #26
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    Quote Originally Posted by slpdablueZ28 View Post
    you think it would be possible to lsx power a golf cart? that thing would have such a great power to weight ratio
    that would be awesome

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Unemploymentville, MI
    Posts
    2

    Green (yuck!)
    1995 Camaro LT1 T56

    VTEC, lol

    Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    This is where it becomes fishy, i asked what he had done to it and he said intake and exhuast. and i noticed is tip that was bronze and blueish from heat, and once he got into rpms that thing put out a lil black smoke and sounded mean as hell, and actually good!
    Lol, having previously been involved in the import scene, I can enlighten you on these mysteries!

    First, every modded import owner will respond with "intake and exhaust" when asked what he has done to his car. i guess everything else is considered some kind of secret, lol. As for what mods he actually had, I won't speculate on that - there are tons of options, forced induction or N/A. I will guarantee that if you didnt pull him hard with a 12 sec Camaro, he definitely had more than an intake and exhaust.

    The blued exhaust tips come that way from the manufacturer on most aftermarket exhausts with titanium tips, makes it look good, but definitely doesn't mean he was running alc/meth. That's pretty rare - but blued exhaust tips are very common.

    And the mysterious black puff accompanied by the change in exhaust tone is the good one. What you witnessed on that day was the engaging of VTEC. Somehow, Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control, became VTEC. I guess "VVTLEC" doesn't exactly 'roll off the tongue' in quite the same fashion. Anyway - at a certain rpm, usually around 4800-ish, the VTEC engages the secondary (read: larger) lobes on the cams to increase high rpm performance. This results in the normally docile-sounding 4-banger actually sounding kinda mean, especially with a GOOD aftermarket exhaust, like one from APEXi - nice and throaty instead of typical rice. This also results in a moment of rich AFR during the transition, which is where the black puff comes from.

    I know alot of ppl disagree with "honda" and "sounds mean" being in the same sentence, but hey, keep this in mind: it could be a Mazda RX-7 with open headers.. YUCK.

    Well hopefully I didn't make myself look like a complete retard with my first post ever! Now that I have shared some knowledge that no one with a V8 cares about - I look forward to learning the way of the big engines from you gentlemen. That's a fair trade, right?

  8. #28
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    Quote Originally Posted by g2dab View Post
    Lol, having previously been involved in the import scene, I can enlighten you on these mysteries!

    First, every modded import owner will respond with "intake and exhaust" when asked what he has done to his car. i guess everything else is considered some kind of secret, lol. As for what mods he actually had, I won't speculate on that - there are tons of options, forced induction or N/A. I will guarantee that if you didnt pull him hard with a 12 sec Camaro, he definitely had more than an intake and exhaust.

    The blued exhaust tips come that way from the manufacturer on most aftermarket exhausts with titanium tips, makes it look good, but definitely doesn't mean he was running alc/meth. That's pretty rare - but blued exhaust tips are very common.

    And the mysterious black puff accompanied by the change in exhaust tone is the good one. What you witnessed on that day was the engaging of VTEC. Somehow, Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control, became VTEC. I guess "VVTLEC" doesn't exactly 'roll off the tongue' in quite the same fashion. Anyway - at a certain rpm, usually around 4800-ish, the VTEC engages the secondary (read: larger) lobes on the cams to increase high rpm performance. This results in the normally docile-sounding 4-banger actually sounding kinda mean, especially with a GOOD aftermarket exhaust, like one from APEXi - nice and throaty instead of typical rice. This also results in a moment of rich AFR during the transition, which is where the black puff comes from.

    I know alot of ppl disagree with "honda" and "sounds mean" being in the same sentence, but hey, keep this in mind: it could be a Mazda RX-7 with open headers.. YUCK.

    Well hopefully I didn't make myself look like a complete retard with my first post ever! Now that I have shared some knowledge that no one with a V8 cares about - I look forward to learning the way of the big engines from you gentlemen. That's a fair trade, right?
    sounds good to me

  9. #29
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by g2dab View Post
    Lol, having previously been involved in the import scene, I can enlighten you on these mysteries!

    First, every modded import owner will respond with "intake and exhaust" when asked what he has done to his car. i guess everything else is considered some kind of secret, lol. As for what mods he actually had, I won't speculate on that - there are tons of options, forced induction or N/A. I will guarantee that if you didnt pull him hard with a 12 sec Camaro, he definitely had more than an intake and exhaust.

    The blued exhaust tips come that way from the manufacturer on most aftermarket exhausts with titanium tips, makes it look good, but definitely doesn't mean he was running alc/meth. That's pretty rare - but blued exhaust tips are very common.

    And the mysterious black puff accompanied by the change in exhaust tone is the good one. What you witnessed on that day was the engaging of VTEC. Somehow, Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control, became VTEC. I guess "VVTLEC" doesn't exactly 'roll off the tongue' in quite the same fashion. Anyway - at a certain rpm, usually around 4800-ish, the VTEC engages the secondary (read: larger) lobes on the cams to increase high rpm performance. This results in the normally docile-sounding 4-banger actually sounding kinda mean, especially with a GOOD aftermarket exhaust, like one from APEXi - nice and throaty instead of typical rice. This also results in a moment of rich AFR during the transition, which is where the black puff comes from.

    I know alot of ppl disagree with "honda" and "sounds mean" being in the same sentence, but hey, keep this in mind: it could be a Mazda RX-7 with open headers.. YUCK.

    Well hopefully I didn't make myself look like a complete retard with my first post ever! Now that I have shared some knowledge that no one with a V8 cares about - I look forward to learning the way of the big engines from you gentlemen. That's a fair trade, right?
    Why did'nt they just use better cams? GM quad motors made lots of power on just 2 cams and no v-tec.. Tuned and piped they can get over 200 crank N/A.. Not a fan of 4cyl tho..

    Good kill op..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Why did'nt they just use better cams? GM quad motors made lots of power on just 2 cams and no v-tec.. Tuned and piped they can get over 200 crank N/A.. Not a fan of 4cyl tho..

    Good kill op..
    Imagine how much better the quad 4 woulda been with VTEC. Give it 40 more HP easy....as long as the timing chain stayed in place. Some of those HO quad 4s were 180 OE, right?

  11. #31
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Imagine how much better the quad 4 woulda been with VTEC. Give it 40 more HP easy....as long as the timing chain stayed in place. Some of those HO quad 4s were 180 OE, right?
    thats not too bad for a 4 banger i guess lol even though my fast and furious 98 civic dx puts down a whopping 105hp or so from the factory

  12. #32
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Imagine how much better the quad 4 woulda been with VTEC. Give it 40 more HP easy....as long as the timing chain stayed in place. Some of those HO quad 4s were 180 OE, right?
    Yeah ~180-190ish.. The quad motors were the forerunner to the LQ1 program and then later the northstar program. I don't think you actually need v-tec. If it were a DI motor, with better CR and a split in degrees on the cams.. But again it's a 4 banger so I'd only use it in a one man dune buggy..

  13. #33
    megs 02sunsetorangeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Decatur Tx
    Posts
    1,167

    sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

    thank yall! o and g2dab, welcome to the site lots of knowledge here

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Why did'nt they just use better cams? GM quad motors made lots of power on just 2 cams and no v-tec.. Tuned and piped they can get over 200 crank N/A.. Not a fan of 4cyl tho..

    Good kill op..
    VVT is not a bad thing. Alot more cars have it than people think. All the brand new 2010+ ford v8s are boasting it, 5.0 stang has it, lexus isf has it, subarus have it, some supra engines had a similar system and many more. They all just call it something different.

  15. #35
    megs 02sunsetorangeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Decatur Tx
    Posts
    1,167

    sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

    yea i guess chevy's type is called displacement on demand. My moms 07 avalanche goes from v8 to v4 to save some gas mileage. I guess thats kinda the same thing?

  16. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    4
    92' 240sx

    Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    yea i guess chevy's type is called displacement on demand. My moms 07 avalanche goes from v8 to v4 to save some gas mileage. I guess thats kinda the same thing?
    Not quite, check it out: http://world.honda.com/automobile-technology/VTEC/

    The 06+ Si's weigh 2,886lbs in the coupe trim, and 2,945lbs in the sedan trim. (Not that +/- 100lbs really makes a difference on a vehicle that puts down ~180fwhp stock, when compared to something LSx powered.)

    I own one of these actually. Eaton MP62 blown @ 9psi, and I'll have to say its not exactly slow. On a 9psi pulley, we've seen guys put down low 13's in the 1/4 ( edit: no links to other forums please.....0rion )
    Annnnnd.... *Flame suit on* :giggle:
    Last edited by 0rion; 12-08-2010 at 01:01 PM.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    yea i guess chevy's type is called displacement on demand. My moms 07 avalanche goes from v8 to v4 to save some gas mileage. I guess thats kinda the same thing?
    Nope, not the same at all. Dod shuts off cylinders making a v8 a v4. VVT makes more hp by opening valves more and at the right time to make more effecient power, DOD makes less power because your running on less cylinders but you get better mpg.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 12-08-2010 at 08:51 AM.

  18. #38
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Nope, not the same at all. Dod shuts off cylinders making a v8 and v4. VVT makes more hp by opening valves more and at the right time to make more effecient power, DOD makes less power because your running on less cylinders but you get better mpg.
    true its just like dodges MDS which is really just a gimmic to get you to buy one

    we turned it off on my parents 07 charger with a hand held programer and only lost 1MPG

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    true its just like dodges MDS which is really just a gimmic to get you to buy one

    we turned it off on my parents 07 charger with a hand held programer and only lost 1MPG
    My friends TB with a v8 DOD has gotten 3more mpg city keeping it in DOD which requires you baby the throttle. But after two days he gave up and said he cant drive like that anymore.

  20. #40
    megs 02sunsetorangeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Decatur Tx
    Posts
    1,167

    sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Nope, not the same at all. Dod shuts off cylinders making a v8 a v4. VVT makes more hp by opening valves more and at the right time to make more effecient power, DOD makes less power because your running on less cylinders but you get better mpg.
    i c i c, learn something new everyday lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2007 Honda Civic - Upgrading From Stock Honda Civic
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 07:10 PM
  2. Alpine Honda Civic Si - Civic Demonstration
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2007, 05:10 AM
  3. CIVIC Vs. 00 SS M6
    By OnEbAdReDSS in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-16-2006, 05:09 PM
  4. 06 civic si
    By bonestockws6 in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 11:16 PM
  5. 97 LT1 vs. civic
    By Musclefan21 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2006, 07:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •