Thread: 02 Z28 vs. 3x0z

White
    2002 Camaro

02 Z28 vs. 3x0z

I was rolling down the freeway abot 70 mph. I noticed something behind me coming up pretty quick 2 lanes over. Once he got close enough to notice my car he pulled into the lane next to me and seemed to speed up. Once he was beside me he nailed it and took off. I have no respect for rice powered "muscle" cars, so I dropped down to second gear and reeled him in. Ordinarily I would lift once I caught the guy, but since he pulled the chump move ricer fly by, I let him have it. I let out at about 160, with the ricer being just a faint object way back in the rearview.
    MTI clear lid, PowrMAF, Nick Williams TB, FAST 92mm LSX i, Yella Terras, AFR heads, Texas Speed 402 , LS2 timing chain,Texas Giant, Yank 3600 stall, Pacesetter LT, ORY,Bullet muffler, EGR and air delete,tuned ECM, Mosier 12 bolt 3.08, weld in SFC, 315 Toyo DR, Eibach 2" springs, adj panhard bar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Need more info. What kind of car was it? You put it in 2nd at 70? What are your mods? Why no respect for foreign muscle? At gtr would prolly lay it on you

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Doesn't count.

A would have been a twin turbo, then the story might have a different outcome.

Ray Charles blue

If he is an A4 yeah 2nd gear would be good for close to 95mph....lol

White
    2002 Camaro

It's an A4, 2nd is good to 101 at the 6600 shift point.

White
    2002 Camaro

you provide the gtr or twin turbo what ever, I'll bring lots of lay it on ya. Please don't assume that your limitations are a hinderance to me.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

are we talking about a 300z? If so those things reallllllly suck stock. I driven a couple and they have absolutely 00000 get up and go. My friend was planning on buying one.....until he test drove one LOL

White
    2002 Camaro

I'm not sure how built it was. I know it was lowered, had wheels and exhaust. It also had some decals on the windows.

Ray Charles blue

How come you went with a 3.08 gearing? Just wondering.....most guys go with around 3.73 or so especially since you have the extra RPMs to work with.

What kind of power are you putting down? What kind of numbers are you laying down in the quarter?

White
    2002 Camaro

I went with the 3.08 gears because I got a smokin deal on the axle. I intended to swap to a 3.73. After running the 3.08s just to get the car on the road after a nearly two year build I decided to stick with them. I've never had my car on a track and the only dyno I've used was the seat of the pants variety. I hear people spouting off all sorts of numbers, you can get completely different figures from the same car on different dynos.
    The way I see it, the faster car is just the faster car whether it makes 5 or 5000 hp.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    are we talking about a 300z? If so those things reallllllly suck stock. I driven a couple and they have absolutely 00000 get up and go. My friend was planning on buying one.....until he test drove one LOL
    I would have to disagree with you on this. I have owned 5 90-96 300zx's. 3 of those were TT's. The N/A's were not slow or sluggish on take off at all, unless something is completely wrong with it.

Maybe you are thinking a 350z?
    Last edited by jrbonds; 05-06-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Razdrvr View Post
    you provide the gtr or twin turbo what ever, I'll bring lots of lay it on ya. Please don't assume that your limitations are a hinderance to me.
    haha take it easy ole son, i am not saying you cant back up your words because obviously you can. just saying there is always something faster and just because it has a big fart can on it or wing doesnt mean you'll lay it on em.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    I would have to disagree with you on this. I have owned 5 90-96 300zx's. 3 of those were TT's. The N/A's were not slow or sluggish on take off at all, unless something is completely wrong with it.

i've never driven a TT, just the n/a ones, idk if something was wrong with them but I was completely unimpressed by the get up and go, i've never driven a 350z :/

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

A 350z is faster than a N/A 300zx. I have been in a couple N/A 300zxs and was not impressed. My buddys stcok GTP roasted my buddies 300zx 0-80mph many times. The TT versions arent bad, but def not the best turbo import engine.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Razdrvr View Post
    I went with the 3.08 gears because I got a smokin deal on the axle. I intended to swap to a 3.73. After running the 3.08s just to get the car on the road after a nearly two year build I decided to stick with them. I've never had my car on a track and the only dyno I've used was the seat of the pants variety. I hear people spouting off all sorts of numbers, you can get completely different figures from the same car on different dynos.
    The way I see it, the faster car is just the faster car whether it makes 5 or 5000 hp.
    I just wondered if you had a before and after mod power testing was all. I realize all dynos will be different.

Sounds like you have a beast of a car on your hands!

White
    2002 Camaro

There's definitely no before, the car was purchased without a drivetrain. It had been stolen and stripped. I saw this as the perfect opportunity to build a car the way I wanted it. I'm very happy with the results. I don't have alot of performance data, but the tune is still being tweaked, and it seems to be getting faster.

black
    2002 z28, 2001 B4C Camaro

i agree completely i own a 90 300zx an they are not slow at all if you know how to drive them, believe me.

Thread Information