Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 02 WS6 vs 350Z

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

02 WS6 vs 350Z

Okay I've been wanting to run one of these for a long time... every 350Z owner I've met think their car is really fast.

Well Thursday night I pulled up to a light and a dark grey Z pulled up next to me with his HID lights. He didn't pull up even so I thought maybe he didn't want any, but I turned my TCS off anyways. When the light went green I slowly rolled out and held 1st. After we cleared the intersection he floored it. His engine reved so high, it sounded like it was going to throw a piston through the hood. Anyways he pulled even with me before I could engage my brain to tell my foot to go to the floor. I ran to 60 mph (speed limit was 55, so don't fret guys), but I had him by 5 cars through the end of first and opened another car to 6 after I hit second. I assume he got up to somewhere around the same speed, but I was not impressed at all by the Z. As we approached the next light he noticed the left turn arrow was green, so he hit his blinker on to turn in order to avoid pulling up next to me at the next red light.

I'd really like to get a full run with one on the strip, but at that rate I would only be even more disappointed in the Z.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Heh, this is pretty funny. Glad I found this. My girl and I tend to go to dealerships and test drive all sorts of fun cars, like the new 5th gens when they came out, C6's, etc. Only being 21 it's sometimes hard but I make friends so it works out. Regardless, she used to think the Z was the only acceptable import. We found one and I parked the TA to ask for a drive. I was allowed and wanted to see what it could do because I was always curious of it's speed as well. Totally different feel. Super super short clutch, reverse faked me out because you have to push the stick like, down to move it into reverse. Like a solenoid wasn't good enough, so I kept going into 5th or 6th, can't recall if it was up or down, while trying to back up for the first 30 secs. Made me feel retarded. Once we got going though, I opened her up and jesus, there really is no replacement for displacement. The torque was so. "meh" that I instantly had a frown. It was floored for 2 1/2 gears and all I did was look at the speedo to see if I was going quickly, like maybe it was just 'so smooth' that it felt minor. Nope, just sucks.

Long story short, I was highly disappointed at the Z as well, granted this was a 350, not 370. But regardless, I just don't like em anymore. So thanks for killing him, nice one
    2002 Black/Ebony M6 WS6: Lid, Filter, Smooth Bellow, P&P TB (!Bump Stop), Magnaflow Cat-Back (dumped after the axle), 4.10s, Hypertech ME Tune, eibach springs 4/4, LCA relocating brackets, PHB, free mods, 17" TTMs.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I just sold one and to be nice i would say its a quick car not fast at all. If i had to pick, i would pick a S2000 over it since alot of people compare those 2 cars. Whats worse is the auto's are disaster especially the higher you go in speeds. The gearing is really too tall and not enough gears to begin with. I do have to admit there are plenty of people who absolutly love those cars and could'nt imagine driving any other sports car. Either way in the end its all preference.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

I raced my friend the other day on his G35 coupe M6
    We were on the freeway.
    It was quick on the take off,
    He got me for almost a car,
    but when my 8 cylinders kicked the way they should. He was few cars behind me.

But dnt forget those are v6 so I think they are quick for a v6 car
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Thanks everyone for the comments, here I was beginning to think that I was the only one excited about my little confrontation. I used to think they were a fairly acceptable import myself until I ran this one. My buddy even complains about how his gas mileage isn't any better than mine.

So it's slower and gets the same gas mileage as a LS1.
    In my eyes why go with the smaller engine if it doesn't have any benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    I raced my friend the other day on his G35 coupe M6
    We were on the freeway.
    It was quick on the take off,
    He got me for almost a car,
    but when my 8 cylinders kicked the way they should. He was few cars behind me.

But dnt forget those are v6 so I think they are quick for a v6 car
    true about them being V6's, but aren't the 350's rated at like 300hp!?

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Attaboy! Yeah, 350Z guys can be a little cocky (quite unlike us f-body guys)... So good putinplaceness! It's always nice when you drive the other guy to premature turning!

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Attaboy! Yeah, 350Z guys can be a little cocky (quite unlike us f-body guys)... So good putinplaceness! It's always nice when you drive the other guy to premature turning!
    thanks!

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the comments, here I was beginning to think that I was the only one excited about my little confrontation. I used to think they were a fairly acceptable import myself until I ran this one. My buddy even complains about how his gas mileage isn't any better than mine.

So it's slower and gets the same gas mileage as a LS1.
    In my eyes why go with the smaller engine if it doesn't have any benefits?

true about them being V6's, but aren't the 350's rated at like 300hp!?
    Yeah, the 350z's are rated at 300, and I think the 370z is rated at 330. But they don't make that power until they're turning some crazy RPM's.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Good kill! I wouldnt mind running a g37. They are turning low 13s and high 12s i think

Black
    1999 Pontiac Formula M6

I had an 06 350Z 6 speed for a couple of years. Yeah it was nothing like my Formula but it was fun to drive. It was all stock except for better wheels and tires and adjustable sway bars. I will say it handled awesome but I didn't fit in the dam thing very well and when I came to my senses I sold it to buy performance parts for the Formula.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Kooks headers, Catted Y-pipe, Borla Adj Exhaust,
    160 stat, LS6 Intake, TR 230/236 cam, SLP Lid,
    Ground Control Coils, Bilstein Shocks, Adj PH, SFC's,
    Suncoast WS6 hood, 4.10's
    376 RWHP
    ----------------------------------------------

Pewter
    2002 trans am

I have also wanted to run one just to see how fast they are! They are neat looking little cars but same mpg for less motor/power and less seats?! I am good with my F-Body

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    Good kill! I wouldnt mind running a g37. They are turning low 13s and high 12s i think
    Ive ran a G37 with intake and exhaust and it was an easy pull. Weve raced off the line and its close since i have no traction at all. If we race anything above 40mph from a roll its done. The car looks nice inside and out though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Ive ran a G37 with intake and exhaust and it was an easy pull. Weve raced off the line and its close since i have no traction at all. If we race anything above 40mph from a roll its done. The car looks nice inside and out though.
    ah cool a lil info on a run of one. glad to know you dominated it. i really like the idea of the synchromatch feature it has for the manual. i also agree they look pretty cool

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

true about them being V6's, but aren't the 350's rated at like 300hp!?[/QUOTE]

the newer models like 08 or 09 have 305 hp,, but not all of them its a special edition.. that one has better suspension, intake and stuff like that, i cant remember evrithing they have, but it still a 3.5 v6

the regular 350 z has bout 260 t0 270 hp..

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

The 350z's are easy kills in straight lines. In tight races where the steering wheel actually needs to be turned it would be a different story. My SS is lowered and has head and cam work and I really have a hard time getting even close to the timed numbers the smaller cars can put up on tight autocross courses. The power at the pedal sure makes it more fun though. I saw an ad where a local Infinity Dealer will supercharge the G37 and it put out about 450hp and 380tq or so, probably expensive but it could surprise some.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by MeGoFast View Post
    The 350z's are easy kills in straight lines. In tight races where the steering wheel actually needs to be turned it would be a different story. My SS is lowered and has head and cam work and I really have a hard time getting even close to the timed numbers the smaller cars can put up on tight autocross courses. The power at the pedal sure makes it more fun though. I saw an ad where a local Infinity Dealer will supercharge the G37 and it put out about 450hp and 380tq or so, probably expensive but it could surprise some.
    haha... yeah there are ninjas out there.

Some come even in the form of our F-bods. In another kill story a guy took on a GT500 and destroyed him with a Texas Speed built WS6.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

good kill, you wouldn't believe all the cocky pricks I run into around campus with 350Zs who think they would wipe the floor with my fbody. Example: "hey dude you drive that loud camaro with the stripes right? Me:"I guess yeh lol" "I bet my bud's 350 could take you easy." I just tend to chuckle and walk off. Granted they do look really good imo and would prob make for nice DDs. But they just don't compare in a straight line, with h/c setups though they do make for good competition, ran one once and it was dead even.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    ah cool a lil info on a run of one. glad to know you dominated it. i really like the idea of the synchromatch feature it has for the manual. i also agree they look pretty cool

Blue
    02 Firebird Transam

I've seen a few of the 350's out at the local 1/8th mile track when we've been out there on street night and yeah, in a straight line they're not impressive at all.

Dan

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty"....Thomas Jefferson

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Ya i cant say I'm too impressed with them either. I raced a g35 (same motor) with ann exhaust from 35 which is a complete dead spot for my auto and 3.42's by the time I knew they were actually racing i was a car behind by 70 I had a car and a half lead and it was getting worse so i let off I'm not really a fan. As said above its a cool DD but not a good straight line performer.

Thread Information