Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

02 TransAm vs 06ish STi

This is a discussion on 02 TransAm vs 06ish STi within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Turrry The STi transmission was, I heard, designed in part by a little known owned Fuji Heavy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Turrry View Post
    The STi transmission was, I heard, designed in part by a little known owned Fuji Heavy Industries company....known as Caterpillar...
    Not that I'm aware of. However, Fuji Heavy Industries does make some pretty impressive stuff in industrial, public, and aerospace applications, as well as automotive.

TBA
    67' rs/ss

My STi peak spool was at 2700 rpm's and I was running an ots stage 2 map and a gutted DP with 3" catback.
    I did about 160 mph(still had some left too !) in it racing my sister-in-law in her madza speed 6.

red
    2000 camaro ss

damn my buddy's got built sti and his barely goes 160. . .

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    damn my buddy's got built sti and his barely goes 160. . .
    Then its not built lol

Unless you mean the engine is built but the gearing hasnt been changed and it runs outta rpm around there. But if is setup correctly should get to 160 pretty fast, depending on how built it is a built STI can get to 160 with ease
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-14-2009 at 02:03 PM.

red
    2000 camaro ss

his is in the 500 wheel range. at about 130 it stops "pullin like it did" and starts gradually slowin down. this doesnt mean it's not pullin anymore but it certainly doesnt feel like 500 wheel that it felt like @ 70. . .i dunno what your defenition of "with ease" is. . .of course his car goes 160 but "with ease" is not somethin even he would claim. . .i dun wanna argue bout it i was just puttin my .02 in so this didnt turn into a wrex praisin session. cuz they are certainly nothin to praise against a non-awd car at the speeds we talkin bout.
    Last edited by side2000; 05-14-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    his is in the 500 wheel range. at about 130 it stops "pullin like it did" and starts gradually slowin down. this doesnt mean it's not pullin anymore but it certainly doesnt feel like 500 wheel that it felt like @ 70. . .i dunno what your defenition of "with ease" is. . .of course his car goes 160 but "with ease" is not somethin even he would claim. . .i dun wanna argue bout it i was just puttin my .02 in so this didnt turn into a wrex praisin session. cuz they are certainly nothin to praise against a non-awd car at the speeds we talkin bout.
    well if he makes 500 at the wheels and cant hit 160 fairly easy then somethins wrong, cuz i can hit 160 VERY easy and i only make 420 compared to his 500
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic_ws6 View Post
    well if he makes 500 at the wheels and cant hit 160 fairly easy then somethins wrong, cuz i can hit 160 VERY easy and i only make 420 compared to his 500
    i've hit 166 with minor boltons and still slowly gaining.

Black
    2005 STi 320whp/352wtq

Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic_ws6 View Post
    You guys are all idiots, top speed depends on gearing. If your ratios are low = lower top speed at high rpms. Seriously you have to stop being such fanboys, you call your cars stock with just a few bolt ons and this guy probably had exhaust + reflash. would you consider an exhaust and a tune a modified car? probably not. DP + tune STi's can run a 12.5, I'm sure that can keep up with a TA

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 2005sti View Post
    You guys are all idiots, top speed depends on gearing. If your ratios are low = lower top speed at high rpms. Seriously you have to stop being such fanboys, you call your cars stock with just a few bolt ons and this guy probably had exhaust + reflash. would you consider an exhaust and a tune a modified car? probably not. DP + tune STi's can run a 12.5, I'm sure that can keep up with a TA
    top speed also depends on aerodynamics and torque, along with gearing. maybe you're the idiot?

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I agree with big hammer, its not just about gearing hitting top speed although it is important and thats why many euro's do well top end. You need good Aero. and good amount of power/Tq to be able to pull at higher speeds. Lots of reasons why an STI hits 12.5 in the quarter you need to also look at MPH. Ive seen plenty of 4wd cars sti's and evo's running very quick times but mph was just the same or maybe a tad faster then a 13.4 second car.

If your talking quarter mile especially with 4wd cars they make up most of there times in the very begining the 1st 60 ft with a good driver and even then ive seen some really sh*ty drivers bogging off the line. I think an STI will hit 160 mph but you also have to look at how long it takes it to hit 160mph some cars can hit it for example in 20 seconds and some cars will do it in 25 seconds and thats just an example. Just because both cars can hit 160 doesnt mean they both accelerate the same.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    top speed also depends on aerodynamics and torque, along with gearing. maybe you're the idiot?
    i agree

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Gearing + aero + power/torq = top speed

And if a car has bolt ons, then its not stock. Most of us around here agree on that (most = 99.9 %)
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

You guys are all idiots, top speed depends on gearing. If your ratios are low = lower top speed at high rpms. Seriously you have to stop being such fanboys, you call your cars stock with just a few bolt ons and this guy probably had exhaust + reflash. would you consider an exhaust and a tune a modified car?
    If its been modifed from stock and makes more power...guess what?? Its modified

Never seen any one call their car "stock" if it has bolt ons. Mods = not stock. Why are you confused by this concept??

probably not. DP + tune STi's can run a 12.5, I'm sure that can keep up with a TA
    12.5's don't mean shit when its all in the launch. Once the car is in the triple digit speeds, might as well get out and push. You can brag about AWD launches all you want, but the real power is represented by trap speed.

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer

red
    2000 camaro ss

a full exhaust/intake f-body can hit mid-high 12's. . .an sti with someone willing to launch it like it should be lauched can hit 12's with mild bolt-ons. so. . .both cars can hit 12's with bolt ons. the f-body is STILL the faster car. throw some rubber on the rear of that same f-body that is sticky enough to run well below 2 sec 60's, like said sti can, and then you're loookin at an embarassed sti. i just dont get why so many people dont understand the trade-offs of awd. . . .AT THE TRACK: quicker launch, slower trap speeds. . .ON THE STREET: beast to 70, beat after. close ratio gear boxes are lame also. . . . .keep that shit on the dirt.

meh I would rather have a sti than a f-body some days and others I would rather have the f-body atleast the sti isn't an automatic 2-3 grand after the purchase of the car to make sure it doesn't kill its rear axle

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

^ 10 bolts are weak but people have gotten into the 10's in the 1/4 with them I know of a guy right now that is pushing 428 RWHP with stock 10 that is holding up. That and rears are more like $1700 - $2000. They are hit or miss, some break under stock power, some hold up. Mine has seen a couple 5K dumps with it hooking 100%, you can kiss AWD good bye unless it was pulling 500 or so horse since I did these 2 hard launches with full bolt ons.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    ^ 10 bolts are weak but people have gotten into the 10's in the 1/4 with them I know of a guy right now that is pushing 428 RWHP with stock 10 that is holding up. That and rears are more like $1700 - $2000. They are hit or miss, some break under stock power, some hold up. Mine has seen a couple 5K dumps with it hooking 100%, you can kiss AWD good bye unless it was pulling 500 or so horse since I did these 2 hard launches with full bolt ons.
    What did you run when you dumped it at 5k? 60 foot? What tires?

red
    2000 camaro ss

ive had over 400 wheel for entire time ive had my car (8 years 50000 miles) i put axles in it, stock diff, and i never have problem. granted, its only seen the drag strip a dozen times, but over 5000 of those miles have been on road courses. . .FWIW

White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63inside View Post
    He was not stock. There is no possible way a "stock" '06 STi can hang with an LS1 from a roll. Even if your rolling with 2.73's, your mods will make up for that. I doubt even my car as it sits (intake & TBE on stock boost and un-tuned) would hang with a stock LS1 from a higher roll. My car will pull on the new Mustang GT's and is about even with the Charger R/T Daytona's from a roll. I'd like to find a stock LS1 to do a fun run with, but stock ones are hard to find here in Chicago.

But if you heard his turbo over, your modded car and he's supposed to be stock.. something should be going in your head that something isn't right
    I have a stock ls1

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    What did you run when you dumped it at 5k? 60 foot? What tires?
    I was running Goodyear GSD3's 275/40/17 and was not at the track Me and a buddy went out for some burn outs and couldn't get the damn thing to burn out First I dropped it at 2,000 and the car died, I was like what the fuck So I dumpped it from 3,500 and it chirped and took off. So it got me pissed and I decided to do a couple 5,000 + drops which resulted in the car chirping and taking off like it was doing a wheelie (which I wish it had the power to do). I was astonished, but in all reality, it was 100 degrees out and the road had been black topped a few weeks prior.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information