Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WS9 + Y82 = Trans Am 6speedTAthistime's Avatar

Silver
    02 Trans am

02 TA vs. 08 Mustang Racecraft

For all of you that don't know what a Racecraft Mustang is http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/04/s...rand-official/

My friend just picked it up this spring, He has a Catch Can, Green Filter, GT500 Panhard Bar, and GT500 Rear Sway Bar. Other than that it's stock. It's a 4.6L with a Saleen Supercharger. He put down 373WHP/377WTQ @ 4lbs .

I put down 350RWHP, i have Long Tuber headers, ORY, Hooker Catback, Custom Tune, 98mm clear airlid, UMI stb/phb/lca/sfc, and a couple other minor bolt-ons.

Anyway, we were messing around, and we did 40 rolls, and a couple other various pulls. I figured that he would beat me, with 23 more hp, but actually we were dead even. There was one or two runs that he pulled a little but his door never got passed my front wheel. 95% of the time we were dead even.

I didn't think that was too bad for a bolt on TA keeping up with a Saleen supercharged 4.6L Mustang.

When he gets a smaller pulley and new tune, thats a different story, but for now, it was fun.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Thats impressive, im pretty suprised you kept up, good job. How do you like your 98mm lid ? im thinking of getting that plus the SSRA.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

The racecraft is almost 3700lbs. That probably why it was so close. There is also a option fro mthe factory for a 475crank hp package instead of the 420crank hp package your friend has. So im sure with a smaller pulley and bolt ons he will be making well over 400whp. Good run though, atleast we know the bolt on f-body can keep up with this car when all the middle age men start buying them up.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 09-15-2009 at 06:45 AM.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Saleen....overpriced and underwhelming.

Assuming HP numbers were correct...the power-to-weight of the Mustang and F-body in this race were probably pretty close, and certainly close enough that gearing, driver, state of tune, etc could sway the results one way or the other.

The outcome is not very surprising.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Saleen....overpriced and underwhelming.

Assuming HP numbers were correct...the power-to-weight of the Mustang and F-body in this race were probably pretty close, and certainly close enough that gearing, driver, state of tune, etc could sway the results one way or the other.

The outcome is not very surprising.
    The msrp on the 420s is only 38k, basically the same as the camaro with simular hp but 100lbs lighter. Less than the SRT8 cars but faster, less than the GT500 and its just as fast @4lbs of boost. Official magazine time was 12.9 @110mph, 10.4 0-100. 4.4 0-60.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 09-15-2009 at 01:11 PM.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

The 420s is not available in 2010, thus a direct price comparison with a 2010 Camaro SS is irrelevant. Additionally, that $38K is based on a Mustang GT that starts life with virtually no options. What is the price of a no-option SS?

That said, for 2010, Saleen does make an "435s". That car is priced ~$10k over the cost of the Mustang GT on which it is based. Thus if you have a bare bones $28k Mustang GT, your 435s will come in around $38k. But if you have a loaded $35k GT, well....you know the deal. And again....what is the price of similarly optioned SS's?

I will say that these new Saleens are better value than past versions.

Magazine times are not "official". They are simply what someone ran in a certain car at a certain track on a certain day. Some mags don't even use tracks - they use GPS or some sort of G-Tech type device.

The GT500 is significantly faster than the 420s or 435s. Along the lines of 5+ mph in the 1/4 mile. The 420s/435s It is not just as fast, and I'm certainly NOT a GT500 fan boy. It does have a price advantage.

Black
    1999 WS6

Slap a blower on the SS and see what happens for less money in the end. Then again... I sure wish they'd bring out the Z/28 they had planned. That would make for some VERY interesting stories.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by kevnstac View Post
    Slap a blower on the SS and see what happens for less money in the end. Then again... I sure wish they'd bring out the Z/28 they had planned. That would make for some VERY interesting stories.
    I always laugh when people say slap a blower or turbo on this high comp ratio no forged v8. I love lsx engines but would no go forced induction unless built for it.

White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I always laugh when people say slap a blower or turbo on this high comp ratio no forged v8. I love lsx engines but would no go forced induction unless built for it.
    Definately agree with you on that.

Black
    1999 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
    Definately agree with you on that.
    Thus my statement about the return of the Z/28. I'm in 100% agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by kevnstac View Post
    Theres always one retard that has to use this line.

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Interesting.... why would you call him a retard? I always thought, it takes one to know one.
    3" MagnaFlow CatBack w/Corsa (clone)Tips, Lloyds Custom Floor Mats, SLP Lid, Pro 5.0 W/ Lou's SS, 7.5" Eaton Locker w/3.73, KYB AGX, BMR LCA's, FRA, SSE, 5% Tint, 18x9 C5 Rims w/Falken 452

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

There are plenty of stock LS engines with boost out there?! You don't need to build the motor with forged internals and lower the compression ratio just to boost an LS engine!!!

C'mon how many kits are available? All of which are quite reliable.

Now the forged internals limit you on the power output but many run 550-600 rwhp on stock bottom ends with no problems. Compression ratio only limits you on how much boost you can deliver in the engine safely without detonation occuring which on stock LS engines is approximately 7 psi.

That whole comment on not boosting an LS engine unless built for it is ridiculous! How many LQ9 408s are out there throwing more than 1000rwhp down with boost!! Thats a ridiculous amount of power for the streets!!!! And thats what you get easily when you build for boost hahaha!

Slap a maggie on a stock LS3 '10 Camaro and watch it blow doors off most cars!

SOM / NBM
    2002 Pro Z28/2001 TurboTA

I agree my 02 Z28 has completly untouched stock internals and im running a D1 procharger at 8 psi and i must have at least 10 track pulls and about 5000 miles on it, Runs great and still driveable! best mod to date!

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post
    There are plenty of stock LS engines with boost out there?! You don't need to build the motor with forged internals and lower the compression ratio just to boost an LS engine!!!

C'mon how many kits are available? All of which are quite reliable.

Now the forged internals limit you on the power output but many run 550-600 rwhp on stock bottom ends with no problems. Compression ratio only limits you on how much boost you can deliver in the engine safely without detonation occuring which on stock LS engines is approximately 7 psi.

That whole comment on not boosting an LS engine unless built for it is ridiculous! How many LQ9 408s are out there throwing more than 1000rwhp down with boost!! Thats a ridiculous amount of power for the streets!!!! And thats what you get easily when you build for boost hahaha!

Slap a maggie on a stock LS3 '10 Camaro and watch it blow doors off most cars!
    Never said there werent alot of kits available. But i know too many peopel with 6-8psi kits that have had shortblock failure. And the 408s putting down over 1000whp are buitl for it, so thats a silly thing to argue.

PSI this PSI that, psi means nothing. You can have small turbo and run 15psi and it would be just as safe as running 7psi on a larger turbo. PSI means nothing its all about how much air your flowing and fuel your dumping. Bigger turbo flows more air at 7psi than a smaller one would so in turn would cause a bigger bang which is great for power but bad for an engine is everything isnt setup just right. You really need ot know what size turbo/S/C and the psi.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 09-17-2009 at 08:06 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by devil6rr View Post
    I agree my 02 Z28 has completly untouched stock internals and im running a D1 procharger at 8 psi and i must have at least 10 track pulls and about 5000 miles on it, Runs great and still driveable! best mod to date!
    Come back when you have gone 30-40k miles.

Im not at all sayign that everyone has problems with these bolt on FI kits, but enough to make me just go the N/A route until the bottom end is built.

SOM / NBM
    2002 Pro Z28/2001 TurboTA

i guess but considering my car had 110K miles on it when i put the blower on and now its at 115K and seems pretty reliable, but whateva to each his own

once you drive a Supercharged LS1 you'll forget all about N/A and making 10 here 20 hp there

Black
    1999 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    If you read and understand the English language, you would then understand I am referring to the "BLOWN" Z/28. Not just literally slap a blower on the SS other then what GM has done with the new Z/28.

Geezzzus Christ already...to call me a retard over that!!! I guess next post I just spell it the fuck out for everyone.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by devil6rr View Post
    i guess but considering my car had 110K miles on it when i put the blower on and now its at 115K and seems pretty reliable, but whateva to each his own

once you drive a Supercharged LS1 you'll forget all about N/A and making 10 here 20 hp there
    I have had high hp FI cars before. Ill stick to N/A in a ls1 until i have enough for a full on boost build.

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

OP good kill and nice paint scheme haha looks alot like my car

Owning a 9 sec ricer is like coming out of the closest: at first you'll surprise everyone, but in the end you're still gay

Thread Information