Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

01 Z28 vs 04 KB GT

This is a discussion on 01 Z28 vs 04 KB GT within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; An intercooled setup at 8psi is not going to make more power than a non intercooled kit at the same ...

Windveil Blue
    2008 Ford Mustang GT

An intercooled setup at 8psi is not going to make more power than a non intercooled kit at the same boost level. You only NEED an intercooler if you up the boost. Intercooled setups actually loose a little power, however with the boost increase the temps increase and the intercooled setups lower IET's will overcome the initial loss from all the extra air restrictions. 2V mustangs do not respond like the 3V's when it comes to forced induction. A 2V with a s/c at 10psi will not make over 380rwhp on a canned tune, while a 3V will make at least 450rwhp on a canned tune. When it comes to F-bodies vs. GT's if the f-body is within 50-75hp they will almost always come out on top. Just the way it is, they have a superior motor/aero period. You cant deny that.

Black 99 Z71
    Red 01 Z28 M6

Almost right after the supercharger installation, and the day he put on the 8lb pulley, he had his car dyno'd. The place didnt put a fan in front of the car (not sure if that helps much), and it didnt dyno quite as high as we hoped, but it put down 340 to the wheels. He called the Kenne Bell people and asked them if they thought it was low and something could be wrong, but they said some cars dyno higher than others, and suggested maybe trying another dyno. His torque was around 360 as well. His plans for this winter are the intercooler and more boost.
    2001 Z28 M6
    SLP Loudmouth 1 catback, functional ram air hood, Pro 5.0 shifter, free mods, HSW wet nitrous kit

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

I guess I'm not a moron after all. Thanks Zach.

Cobra, I don't know where you're coming up with the stuff you're spouting off. An intercooled setup will almost always make more power at the same boost level. Boost is usually measured after the intercooler anyway, so any difference due to restriction is negligible. And about the 50-75 hp thing.... You're on crack. An F-body is not going to run down a GT that makes 50 hp more. Thanks for joining the forums, this month. Please wait a few more months and read a little before posting ignorance.

Chris

Mustangs are slow....

/thread

Windveil Blue
    2008 Ford Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    I guess I'm not a moron after all. Thanks Zach.

Cobra, I don't know where you're coming up with the stuff you're spouting off. An intercooled setup will almost always make more power at the same boost level. Boost is usually measured after the intercooler anyway, so any difference due to restriction is negligible. And about the 50-75 hp thing.... You're on crack. An F-body is not going to run down a GT that makes 50 hp more. Thanks for joining the forums, this month. Please wait a few more months and read a little before posting ignorance.

Chris
    At 8psi the intercooled setup will NOT make more power. It always depends on the application and how its setup. In my experience I have NEVER EVER saw a GT beat an F-Body when they we with 50-75hp. Your experiences may have been different than mine. I post what I have experienced in my life. I have about 6 yrs experience with mustang f/i and n/a. So I may not be the most knowledgable person but I do know quite a bit. And when I car has superior aero and has a slight weight advantage is will run down a slight higher HP's car. If I am wrong then I have no problem being corrected, I am here to learn. You dont need to act like your some kind of a genious....

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by cobra443 View Post
    At 8psi the intercooled setup will NOT make more power. It always depends on the application and how its setup.
    How about identical applications with the exception of one being intercooled and the other not? Don't try to muddy the water.

In my experience I have NEVER EVER saw a GT beat an F-Body when they we with 50-75hp.
    That's about the most ridiculous position I could have imagined you taking. All that shows is a lack of experience. Slower cars outrun faster cars every day at the dragstrip. Go to one some time.

So I may not be the most knowledgable person but I do know quite a bit.
    I'm shocked

And when I car has superior aero and has a slight weight advantage is will run down a slight higher HP's car. If I am wrong then I have no problem being corrected, I am here to learn.
    An old rule of thumb states that in terms of 1/4 mile ETs 100lbs = 10hp = .1 seconds. So essentially what you're saying is that the F-body is 500-750 lbs lighter than the mustang GT. Last I checked, you're way off. If the F-body is actually the lighter car, the difference is insignificant - and I'm comparing the subject of the thread ('99-'04 Mustang GT weighs 3300lbs + or - 50 lbs depending on what source you believe) to the LS1 F-bodies (what do you think they weigh?).

Aerodynamics make a noticeable difference at triple-digit speeds, but below that, they aren't significant. That's why a brick-shaped, 2-ton Ford Lightning that cranks out only 360 hp will still run 13s in the 1/4 mile. Raced from a roll, though, the Lightning's performance diminishes greatly above 100mph.

As far as the intercooled setup vs. the non-intercooled setup, please provide documentation like a back to back dyno test showing intercooled vs. non-intercooled. Else, get outta here with that BS. Again, it's ridiculous to think that at the same boost, the cooling effects of an intercooler would not give any advantage.

You dont need to act like your some kind of a genious....
    I'm not acting like anything. If you're saying that I come off as some kind of genius, then thanks for the compliment. Now, please come back with a source or your own data, or you're just going to be blown off by the facts everyone here already knows.

Chris

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Having put some more thought into this issue. I believe I have reached a somewhat happy medium for our argument, at least in so far as the intercooler part is concerned. Thing is, that the speed of a blower determines the volume of air that the blower moves (aside from the pressure differential across the blower). If you don't change anything except adding an intercooler on a supercharged setup, you will not notice a big gain. With an inefficient intercooler, you might not notice any gain at all. However, you will see a corresponding boost drop in the intake. That's due to the fact that cooler air is more dense. So, as you cool the air, the same mass, now more dense, fills the same volume, which results in a decrease in pressure. This, of course, explains your perspective - adding an intercooler alone to a supercharged system will result in little or no gain. Keep in mind that this has very little to do with the restriction inherent in the design of the intercooler and more to do with the drop in temperature and the corresponding loss of boost.

However, my disagreement with your statement is not incorrect because you specified that at the same boost level an intercooled setup will not make more power. In order to achieve the same amount of boost on a supercharged setup, unlike a turbocharged setup, you will have to change pullies. Once the supercharger is moving more air mass, though it will bring the motor back up to the same boost as before, you will no doubt see an increase in power provided an optimized tune before and after.

I'm trying to make a bit of a concession here for you. I apologize for coming off so arrogant before. I tend to do that, and I often deeply regret it. No change to the mustang vs. F-body statements

Chris

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

jebus... all friendly in here...

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Nice! I'm still lmao at that one... The female got the hell outta there quick... I guess that the male lost some cool points there.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    Nice! I'm still lmao at that one... The female got the hell outta there quick... I guess that the male lost some cool points there.
    i haven't posted it in about a year... so i was due...

Shadow Grey
    2003 Mustang Cobra

ha ha, These types of threads always turn into a pissing contest

Nice kill

Shadow Grey
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_06374 View Post
    Mustangs are slow....

/thread
    2003 Mustang Cobra (811rwhp)
    2005 GTO
    2009 Audi A5 3.2

LIGHTLY MODDED

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Grey03Cobra View Post
    ha ha, These types of threads always turn into a pissing contest

Nice kill
    yup...

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Grey03Cobra View Post
    You know it's true

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    I guess hooked on phonics didnt work for you. I will dumb down my first post in this thread for you.

LOL means I was laughing at the slow ass mustang with a blower on it loosing to a car with less power. Did I dumb it down enough for you, I mean well you do own an F-body.

I can bash to..
    I own an F-body as well, however I think you meant "too". Also, "losing" only has one "o" in the middle. A little ironic to find that at the end of that particular post.

To the OP -- nice kill. When your friend gets the intercooler setup it would be interesting to see how your two cars match up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information