Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 346

01 ta vs 08 gt

This is a discussion on 01 ta vs 08 gt within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Interesting! For the most part a stock LS1 vs. a stock 2008 GT is a driver's race with a slight ...

  1. #21
    JUISSED Midnight02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    37
    Posts
    663

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

    Interesting!

    For the most part a stock LS1 vs. a stock 2008 GT is a driver's race with a slight edge (from my experience) going to the LS1. The transmission and gearing may also help shift the slight advantage in either direction.

    That being said, pretty much any run with two cars with less than a second difference in typical quarter mile times is a driver's race.....you can drop a few tenths really quickly with a crappy launch or poor shift.

    I guess after the callout, it's time for the guys to post the time slips! HAHA!
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.


    1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

  2. #22
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    Interesting!

    For the most part a stock LS1 vs. a stock 2008 GT is a driver's race with a slight edge (from my experience) going to the LS1. The transmission and gearing may also help shift the slight advantage in either direction.

    That being said, pretty much any run with two cars with less than a second difference in typical quarter mile times is a driver's race.....you can drop a few tenths really quickly with a crappy launch or poor shift.

    I guess after the callout, it's time for the guys to post the time slips! HAHA!
    Less than a SECOND difference? R U Nuts? Your leaving the window wide open with that one buddy. So that means if i'm driving a car that averages 14.0 seconds versus a car that runs 13.1 on normal occasion, it could be considered a drivers race between the two of us? I don't think so. If that's the case than a race between a Mazda RX-8 vs. a stock LS1 is up in the air...

    And lastly, any LS1 w/ a good driver behind the wheel should have no problem outperforming a S197 w/ a good driver. The LS1 has more than a slight advantage.

  3. #23
    JUISSED Midnight02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    37
    Posts
    663

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Less than a SECOND difference? R U Nuts? Your leaving the window wide open with that one buddy. So that means if i'm driving a car that averages 14.0 seconds versus a car that runs 13.1 on normal occasion, it could be considered a drivers race? I don't think so. If that's the case than a race between a Mazda RX-8 vs. a stock LS1 is up in the air...

    And lastly, any LS1 w/ a good driver behind the wheel should have no problem outperforming a S197 w/ a good driver. The LS1 has more than a slight advantage.
    From my experience, a one second advantage can evaporate pretty quickly, especially if the difference in driver skill is exhibited at the launch. Good rule of thumb says that a 4/10th gain on the 60 foot time is typically good for a 6/10th - 7/10th gain in the quarter time....just one example of how a crappy launch will kill a stronger car. That being said, I don't think I'm a GREAT driver, however I do think I'm a good driver and I'd certainly be confident racing another car if I knew I had a full second advantage.

    In this particular case, based on what MOST seem to be running, the LS1 likely has a .3 - .5 advantage. With driver skill being equal, that difference is substantial. However, if you cook the tires on the launch and throw up a 2.3 60' time, that advantage disappears pretty quickly. HAHA!

    Just my $.02

  4. #24
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    From my experience, a one second advantage can evaporate pretty quickly, especially if the difference in driver skill is exhibited at the launch. Good rule of thumb says that a 4/10th gain on the 60 foot time is typically good for a 6/10th - 7/10th gain in the quarter time....just one example of how a crappy launch will kill a stronger car. That being said, I don't think I'm a GREAT driver, however I do think I'm a good driver and I'd certainly be confident racing another car if I knew I had a full second advantage.

    In this particular case, based on what MOST seem to be running, the LS1 likely has a .3 - .5 advantage. With driver skill being equal, that difference is substantial. However, if you cook the tires on the launch and throw up a 2.3 60' time, that advantage disappears pretty quickly. HAHA!

    Just my $.02
    I do understand what your saying. Bad driver error can definitely change the outcome of a race. But if a driver gives up a full second advantage to his opponent then he is just a really really bad driver - assuming everything on his car is working right.

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    memphis
    Posts
    2

    vista blue
    2008 mustang gt

    in the defense of both of us the rain had just stopped and track officials ran the driers. traction was not the best at all and the humidity was very high.

    time slips the 08 mustang is on the left and 01 ta on the right
    remember mustang won 4 ta won 1.

    second race ( most looked like this )

    R/T .162 .785
    60 2.223 2.187
    330 6.103 6.040
    1/8 9.262 9.110
    MPH 78.31 81.48
    1000 11.972 11.730
    1/4 14.307 13.957
    MPH 95.71 101.25

    left 1st .2733



    last race

    R/T .135 .339
    60 2.238 2.249
    330 6.144 6.022
    1/8 9.322 9.044
    MPH 77.88 82.35
    1000 12.040 11.640
    1/4 14.373 13.850
    MPH 95.88 101.98

    right 1st .3192

  6. #26
    Speed Racer 99 Kobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    209

    White
    '04 Mustang Cobra

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I think a 1998-2002 WS6 looks much better than that thing they call a S197 GT.
    Well, Ford is selling more of "that thing" than GM ever sold of the Camaro/Firebird combined.
    '01 BMW 330ci: Race it in a modified class in BMW CCA Club Racing and NASA endurance races.
    '04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport: Stock.
    '04 Mustang Cobra coupe (white/gray): Modified.

  7. #27
    Make real real sure Johns00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,404

    Black
    2000 Z-28

    Drivers skill aside, I see the Mustang losing by about 5-6mph on both runs and that's considerable.

  8. #28
    Make real real sure Johns00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,404

    Black
    2000 Z-28

    Quote Originally Posted by 99 Kobra View Post
    Well, Ford is selling more of "that thing" than GM ever sold of the Camaro/Firebird combined.
    Yeah I was one of those people who bought a mustang and compared to my Z28 it was a horrible decision.

  9. #29
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by 99 Kobra View Post
    Well, Ford is selling more of "that thing" than GM ever sold of the Camaro/Firebird combined.
    When did we get into car sales? I thought we were talking about which one looked better.

  10. #30
    Speed Racer 99 Kobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    209

    White
    '04 Mustang Cobra

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    When did we get into car sales? I thought we were talking about which one looked better.
    Well, the huge sales numbers indicate to me that the public likes the way the current Mustang looks. Hell, if the GT500 weighed 3,300 lbs. or less and had an IRS, I would buy one when the greedy dealer markups stop, which they will as Ford keeps building more GT500's.

  11. #31
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by 99 Kobra View Post
    Well, the huge sales numbers indicate to me that the public likes the way the current Mustang looks. Hell, if the GT500 weighed 3,300 lbs. or less and had an IRS, I would buy one when the greedy dealer markups stop, which they will as Ford keeps building more GT500's.
    Come on, let's be honest. If the F-body didn't atleast have the slightest appeal to you you wouldn't be here

  12. #32
    Member chuck4345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    memphis tn
    Posts
    281

    black
    2002 trans am ws6

    driving skills aside the ta is a quicker car ill admit i got outdriven 4 out 5 times but 1/4 mile times showed plan as day the ta is faster mustang boy

  13. #33
    Speed Racer 99 Kobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    209

    White
    '04 Mustang Cobra

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Come on, let's be honest. If the F-body didn't atleast have the slightest appeal to you you wouldn't be here
    I like Pony cars with V8's. I have always liked Ford's better than GM. The only GM product I have owned was a '68 GTO. I instruct at BMW CCA driving schools where the students drive their own cars with an instructor. I have driven a student C5 Z06 and a student C6 Z06 at Buttonwillow Raceway. I think the Z06 is the best bang for the buck in the world, but I haven't driven a Ford GT.
    Last edited by 99 Kobra; 05-12-2008 at 09:01 PM.

  14. #34
    Senior Member jrc1122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    1,053

    Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

    I remember back in 2000/ 2001 time frame - when i was test driving tons of Mustang GTs, Trans Ams, WS6s, Z28s and SS's.
    The sales guy at the Ford dealership trying to sell me on the fact that more people are buying the mustang. like that was a selling point.. That was a horrible tactic on his behalf. Because I don't want to be a lemming and have what everyone else has. Not to mention one was a mid 14s car and the other was a low 13 second car.

    Muscle Car vs-- sporty car. I also remember the Nissan Maxima having about the same power as the GT in the early 2000s-- that was enough for me to not buy it.

    now 8 years later-- and they still have fully closed the gap on an extinct TA??

  15. #35
    Speed Racer 99 Kobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    209

    White
    '04 Mustang Cobra

    Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    I remember back in 2000/ 2001 time frame - when i was test driving tons of Mustang GTs, Trans Ams, WS6s, Z28s and SS's.
    The sales guy at the Ford dealership trying to sell me on the fact that more people are buying the mustang. like that was a selling point.. That was a horrible tactic on his behalf. Because I don't want to be a lemming and have what everyone else has. Not to mention one was a mid 14s car and the other was a low 13 second car.

    Muscle Car vs-- sporty car. I also remember the Nissan Maxima having about the same power as the GT in the early 2000s-- that was enough for me to not buy it.

    now 8 years later-- and they still have fully closed the gap on an extinct TA??
    Why didn't you look at a Cobra?

  16. #36
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by 99 Kobra View Post
    I like Pony cars with V8's. I have always liked Ford's better than GM. The only GM product I have owned was a '68 GTO. I instruct at BMW CCA driving schools where the students drive their own cars with an instructor. I have driven a student C5 Z06 and a student C6 Z06 at Buttonwillow Raceway. I think the Z06 is the best bang for the buck in the world, but I haven't driven a Ford GT.
    No doubt Ford GT's are very fast, but overpriced at that. I still don't know where the $150,000 price tag comes in at.

  17. #37
    JUISSED Midnight02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    37
    Posts
    663

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

    From the slips it looks like we can confirm a few things:

    1. Traction was definitely limited given the 60' times.
    2. The Trans Am had ET's roughly 0.4 seconds faster with a 5+ mph higher trap speed.
    3. The Mustang driver had a better reaction time and consequently won the race to the finish line.

  18. #38
    Member mogs01gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    37
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by chris26blaster View Post
    in the defense of both of us the rain had just stopped and track officials ran the driers. traction was not the best at all and the humidity was very high.

    time slips the 08 mustang is on the left and 01 ta on the right
    remember mustang won 4 ta won 1.

    second race ( most looked like this )

    R/T .162 .785
    60 2.223 2.187
    330 6.103 6.040
    1/8 9.262 9.110
    MPH 78.31 81.48
    1000 11.972 11.730
    1/4 14.307 13.957
    MPH 95.71 101.25

    left 1st .2733



    last race

    R/T .135 .339
    60 2.238 2.249
    330 6.144 6.022
    1/8 9.322 9.044
    MPH 77.88 82.35
    1000 12.040 11.640
    1/4 14.373 13.850
    MPH 95.88 101.98

    right 1st .3192
    that is some weak trap speed for both cars but worse for the stang.

  19. #39
    Senior Member jrc1122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    1,053

    Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

    Quote Originally Posted by 99 Kobra View Post
    Why didn't you look at a Cobra?
    Because from what I remember-- the 99 cobra was horrible overrated involving recalls, and unhappy customers and in 2000 they didn't even have it, and in 2001 they came back and I didn't trust ford, Not to mention, I thought the LS1 would have no problem hanging, if not beating a Cobra. (No FI at that time). And I was pretty much right.

  20. #40
    Speed Racer 99 Kobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    209

    White
    '04 Mustang Cobra

    Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    Because from what I remember-- the 99 cobra was horrible overrated involving recalls, and unhappy customers and in 2000 they didn't even have it, and in 2001 they came back and I didn't trust ford, Not to mention, I thought the LS1 would have no problem hanging, if not beating a Cobra. (No FI at that time). And I was pretty much right.
    They did recall ALL '99 Cobras. They replaced the intake manifold, exhaust and reflashed the computer. Mine went fron 255 rwhp to 275 rwhp. It was a great car for 95,000 miles until I sold it. It was great for open track. With a K & N and JBA headers it went from 275 rwhp to 295 rwhp.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •