Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718 LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 346

01 ta vs 08 gt

This is a discussion on 01 ta vs 08 gt within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by N20LT4 Uhh...the 3 valve just made it's way into production in the 2005 Mustang. I don't recall ...

  1. #301
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    74

    Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Uhh...the 3 valve just made it's way into production in the 2005 Mustang. I don't recall any three-valve-per-cylinder layout in Ford's lineup in the 1990's, so it is, infact, new technology. As far as being on par with the LT1's, I wouldn't jump to conclusions if I were you. The '96-97 Cobra WAS NOT on par with the '96-'97 Camaro SS. Here's a vintage Car & Driver comparison just for kicks in which your beloved 4.6 Cobra ran it's usual 14.0 quarter-mile time to the LT1's 13.6/106.

    http://www.stangbangers.com/96_Cobra...rd_Article.htm
    even though the cars were simular weight and HP the camaro has over 25ftlbs tq, and torque wins races right. thats whats needed top end, but who cares, I could not stand the 4th gen Mustangs either.

    2003, Ford introduced a new 3-valve SOHC cylinder head with variable camshaft timing (VCT), improving power and torque over the previous 2-valve SOHC version

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I literally pounced on several '96-98 Cobra's in my old Sebring Silver '97 SS when it was stock, 2 on the left and all, and even had my fun with a brand new at the time '01 Cobra in which I took by 2 cars. So no they were not on par with all LT1 cars. As far as being on par with the LS1's -Wrong Again Jack! Not even the '99 & '01's were a match for the '98-02 LS1 M6 cars.
    who said on par, I never said that. I said that the LSx motor was not superior just had more HP, again Displacment still is king, the LS1 had 50+ more HP on a equal weight car, of course it was not a match, am I a parrot...

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Your forgetting the 4.6L Cobra is a dual-cam motor. The four-valve-per-cylinder layout allows it to breath much more efficiently than a comparable pushrod engine of the same size. That's why virtually every single high-output, small displacement engine uses a mult-cam setup, i.e the Ferrari 3-liter V-8's, Lotus, Cadillac Northstar, etc. For example, look at the 1990-1995 GM 5.7L DOHC V-8 out of the ZR-1's. Those cars can make in excess of 550rwhp naturally aspirated with less effort compared to even an LS1. A 4-valve is not your typical V-8.
    Not typical now but it will be. push rods are going away and you will see more GM engines getting OHC with multiple valves. I was hoping for this on the new camaro, but it looks like they are going with a push rod motor again.
    Last edited by 2K05GT; 07-03-2008 at 03:03 PM.

  2. #302
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    2003, Ford introduced a new 3-valve SOHC cylinder head with variable camshaft timing (VCT), improving power and torque over the previous 2-valve SOHC version.
    Did the 3-valve 4.6L set foot inside any of Fords vehicles in 2003? I may be wrong, but if not, then it didn't come into production until 2005...like I said. If so, then I stand corrected.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    who said on par, I never said that. I said that the LSx motor was not superior just had more HP, again Displacment still is king, the LS1 had 50+ more HP on a equal weight car, of course it was not a match, am I a parrot...
    Your exact words:

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    ...and have been on par with the LT1 and the early LS1's but have not made any advances since 1998.
    .

  3. #303
    Junior Member s197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Oakland, IA
    Posts
    39

    Legend Lime
    2005 Mustang GT

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Did the 3-valve 4.6L set foot inside any of Fords vehicles in 2003? I may be wrong, but if not, then it didn't come into production until 2005...like I said. If so, then I stand corrected.
    The 3 valve heads made their debut in 2003 in the new 2004 F150 and Expedition. That was a 5.4 and not a 4.6, I believe the first 4.6 application was the 2005 Mustang in 2004.

  4. #304
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by s197 View Post
    The 3 valve heads made their debut in 2003 in the new 2004 F150 and Expedition. That was a 5.4 and not a 4.6, I believe the first 4.6 application was the 2005 Mustang in 2004.
    Okay...as I thought.

    Thanks for making that clear.

  5. #305
    Knight of Chaos xzaero0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Age
    37
    Posts
    468

    Black
    2000 Trans Am

    If the newer mustangs are so fast that they are beating LSXs off the showroom floor then why are the "How to beat an LS1" threads so popular on most Mustang sites?

    Only Slight interior and body changes, Sterotypes and the problems that GM didnt fix are what killed the Fbody and killed its sales. (Bad window motors, 10 bolt problems, opti sparks are just a few)

  6. #306
    Member mogs01gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    37
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post
    Only Slight interior and body changes, Sterotypes and the problems that GM didnt fix are what killed the Fbody and killed its sales. (Bad window motors, 10 bolt problems, opti sparks are just a few)
    noo it had nothing to do with the fact they were over-priced, tons of quality issues, way too big for normal people and they were designed more for the F-body fan rather than the general public.

    Blah blah blah, Mustangs and mod engines arent reliable. NOOO not at all, its not like the Mustang was rated the must reliable American made car in 2004....no that didnt happen. Its all made up I tell ya, its those biased magazines!!

  7. #307
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    even though the cars were simular weight and HP the camaro has over 25ftlbs tq, and torque wins races right. thats whats needed top end, but who cares, I could not stand the 4th gen Mustangs either.

    2003, Ford introduced a new 3-valve SOHC cylinder head with variable camshaft timing (VCT), improving power and torque over the previous 2-valve SOHC version


    who said on par, I never said that. I said that the LSx motor was not superior just had more HP, again Displacment still is king, the LS1 had 50+ more HP on a equal weight car, of course it was not a match, am I a parrot...


    Not typical now but it will be. push rods are going away and you will see more GM engines getting OHC with multiple valves. I was hoping for this on the new camaro, but it looks like they are going with a push rod motor again.
    isnt the new zr1 a 24v pushrod design?

  8. #308
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    What you dont know? All F-bodies run 10s on the internet!!
    and stangs can actually compete with ls1 cars... on the internet.

  9. #309
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    74

    Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

    Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post
    If the newer mustangs are so fast that they are beating LSXs off the showroom floor then why are the "How to beat an LS1" threads so popular on most Mustang sites?

    Only Slight interior and body changes, Sterotypes and the problems that GM didnt fix are what killed the Fbody and killed its sales. (Bad window motors, 10 bolt problems, opti sparks are just a few)
    No one is saying that the S197 is faster than an LS1 Camaro or T/A,
    that would be a stupid and wrong comment. Physics dictates a different story. they weight the same, yet the LS1 has 35+ more HP and 50+ more torque, there is no way the Mustang can be faster, not going to happen. the point is that the new mustang is a lot better than the new edge or SN95 and is not as slow as some of you beleive. the 3V breaths almost as good as the 4V inthe Mach 1 plus it has VCT which adds torque on the top end. for what the 4.6L and mustang is it's not bad. Anyone that says the new mustang is faster than an LS1 FBOD is a moron. but once modded the 4.6L can walk on stock or near stock LS1 (not mod for mod). sure the LS1 is an older car, but it was canceled in 02 so the Mustang had no competition. I beleive if the Camaros stayed alive the Mustang would have been a better car today, probably with a 5.4L making 400hp. but once again the mustang will fall behind in power, but will still out sell the Camaro 2 to 1.

    The Mustang has always appealed to the Young and Old, Men and Women alike, thats how it has stayed alive. it was not because of power, or the ability to make large amounts of power with modding. The day that a smaller engine with less hp car beats a large cube car with the same weight is the day the world ends.

    I have beat over 1/2 the LS1 I have raced, (at the track) most are lighty moded with a lid and exhaust. I run average 12.5 in the 1/4 (my best is 12.41@109.35) with a stock motor and auto tranny, bolt ons only

    So yea a Modded S197 will take a LS1 Camaro that is near stock and that is whats being posted onthe Mustangforums
    Last edited by 2K05GT; 07-04-2008 at 08:03 AM.

  10. #310
    Knight of Chaos xzaero0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Age
    37
    Posts
    468

    Black
    2000 Trans Am

    These people are why I dont care for mustangs, cause most (not eveyone)people I know with them are just like them.


    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/G...ang_157808.htm

    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...cial_15286.htm

  11. #311
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    Eeewww....stereotyping is your friend.

    Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    isnt the new zr1 a 24v pushrod design?
    Negative, ghostrider.

    The ZR1 is a model of a car (Corvette), not an engine. However, the engine (LS9) in the new ZR1 sports 16 valves....not 24.

  12. #312
    Knight of Chaos xzaero0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Age
    37
    Posts
    468

    Black
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    No one is saying that the S197 is faster than an LS1 Camaro or T/A,
    that would be a stupid and wrong comment. Physics dictates a different story. they weight the same, yet the LS1 has 35+ more HP and 50+ more torque, there is no way the Mustang can be faster, not going to happen. the point is that the new mustang is a lot better than the new edge or SN95 and is not as slow as some of you beleive. the 3V breaths almost as good as the 4V inthe Mach 1 plus it has VCT which adds torque on the top end. for what the 4.6L and mustang is it's not bad. Anyone that says the new mustang is faster than an LS1 FBOD is a moron. but once modded the 4.6L can walk on stock or near stock LS1 (not mod for mod). sure the LS1 is an older car, but it was canceled in 02 so the Mustang had no competition. I beleive if the Camaros stayed alive the Mustang would have been a better car today, probably with a 5.4L making 400hp. but once again the mustang will fall behind in power, but will still out sell the Camaro 2 to 1.

    The Mustang has always appealed to the Young and Old, Men and Women alike, thats how it has stayed alive. it was not because of power, or the ability to make large amounts of power with modding. The day that a smaller engine with less hp car beats a large cube car with the same weight is the day the world ends.

    I have beat over 1/2 the LS1 I have raced, (at the track) most are lighty moded with a lid and exhaust. I run average 12.5 in the 1/4 (my best is 12.41@109.35) with a stock motor and auto tranny, bolt ons only

    So yea a Modded S197 will take a LS1 Camaro that is near stock and that is whats being posted onthe Mustangforums
    I'm sure that a mildly modded S197 Mustang can take out a stock or near stock LS1. Isn't that what we all mod our cars for is to beat someone else or to go faster? From personal exp. I havent been able to find one yet but there is a 07 427R running around I may have to get ahold of it and see whats its got.

  13. #313
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post
    I havent been able to find one yet but there is a 07 427R running around I may have to get ahold of it and see whats its got.
    It should have high 12's in it. Are you up to the task?

  14. #314
    LS1 chosen son lemons12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    2,010

    TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

    high 12s... and this car costs how much???? haha id be up for that task REAL QUICK.. id show him the of me car.. lol

  15. #315
    LS1 chosen son lemons12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    2,010

    TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    Point is that the 4.6L 2, 3 and 4v engines were around all throught the 90's
    and have been on par with the LT1 and the early LS1's but have not made any advances since 1998. except for the 3V (one valve less than it's 1996 counterpart and has VCT) this has been the same engine throughout the late 90 to 2004. I for one was disappointed that ford went with this platform in 05 but thats the way it is. So my point was that the 4.6 for what it is, is still an old platform engine that has progressed to it's conclusion making the same power as the 1996 4v engine. that BTW was the same as the LT1 being 1Liter larger.
    so tell me why again that they are on par with lt1s and EARLY ls1s?? bu not the 2000,01, and 02 models.. haha you are IGNORANT i believe... i dont see a lot of stupidity just ignorance... i have beaten and ran better times than newer models ls1s... ws6s, ss's.. gtos.. corvettes.. year doesnt matter... who cares.. they came with a 4.6.. period.. so yes the ls1s is a better engine because it does make more power.. regardless of size..

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    this would be a fair argument if both Ford and Chevy had near size engines.
    but you are beating your chests like the 5.7L is such a bad as mofo yet look at the actual numbers
    4.6L 3V is 281 cubic inches producing 300hp 320tq
    LS1 all-aluminum 5.7 L (346 in³) pushrod engine and was rated between 305 - 350 hp and 335-375 ft·lbf of torque
    thats 67ci or 1.1Liters over the 4.6 motor and thats all it made LOL..

    As far as the LSx being superior, not according to Wards 10 best engines.
    Fords 4.6L v8 won this award in 2005 (5th), 2006 (5th) 2005 (6th) 2008 (4th)
    Fords 5.7L took 4th in 1997 (2nd) 1998 (3rd) 2000 (5th), 2001 (5th) 2002 (4th)
    yet the LS1 only won in 1998 and 1999 and the LT1 and LS2 never made it on the list.

    the LSx is a Large cubic inch engine making good hp, yet ford has 5.4L making nearly the same N/A hp as the new 6.0L LS3 and it's still short a few cubes

    Boss 315 4-valve DOHC 5.4 L V8, 422 hp @ 6500 rpm, 406.5 lb·ft @ 4750 rpm

    Then we can have a serious argument.

    the arguement isnt fair because a well driven 1993!!!! lt1 can be neck and neck with a 2007!!!! mustang gt.... thats pitiful... hence the reason there is no arguement.

    who cares what some magazinie says is the best engine... or the best engine for gas mileage.. or the best engine for ITS SIZE.. the best engine and would have more power than an ls1s IF it had 1 more litre... it doesnt.. period... the ls1 wins.

  16. #316
    Knight of Chaos xzaero0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Age
    37
    Posts
    468

    Black
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    It should have high 12's in it. Are you up to the task?
    These are my mods. I don't know if I'm up to it or not. What do you think?
    Ram air, cut out air box, SLP air lid, K&N, Slp underdrive pulley, Mizierre Electric water pump 180 stat, high volume fuel pump and wire, American Racing Ceramic Coated longtubes with 3" race collectors, 3" dual exhaust x pipe LM2s 2.5 over axle UMI SFCs, Torque arm and relocation bracket, STB, rear sway bar, lca and relocation brackets, Edelbrock adj panhard bar, Moser 9" 3.70 gears, Detroit True Trac, Predator, 10x15 welds/MT ET Street, LS6 Intake, P&P TB, Performabuilt 3k stall, and I think non adj Konis shocks and struts



    No I dont stereotype either, I give everyone the benifit of the doubt.

  17. #317
    Member mogs01gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    37
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    and stangs can actually compete with ls1 cars... on the internet.
    or its just reality!

  18. #318
    Member Ls1_385hp_T/A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nor-Cal
    Posts
    543

    Black
    1999 Trans Am Ws6/M6

    Whats up with all the fuckin mustang bitches on our forum?

  19. #319
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0
    ....Detroit True Trac....
    The Detriot TrueTrac is an awesome piece. TracTech (now owned by Eaton) sponsored me during the 2004 season. I ran a TrueTrac for all but the first two races, and then put one under my 550 RWHP 04 Cobra. Never a problem. Highly recommended.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ls1_385hp_T/A View Post
    Whats up with all the fuckin mustang bitches on our forum?
    Howdy Noob! Another stellar example of internet humanity!

    Ooops...almost stereotyped. Sorry.

  20. #320
    Member Ls1_385hp_T/A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nor-Cal
    Posts
    543

    Black
    1999 Trans Am Ws6/M6

    Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    The Detriot TrueTrac is an awesome piece. TracTech (now owned by Eaton) sponsored me during the 2004 season. I ran a TrueTrac for all but the first two races, and then put one under my 550 RWHP 04 Cobra. Never a problem. Highly recommended.



    Howdy Noob! Another stellar example of internet humanity!

    Ooops...almost stereotyped. Sorry.
    Seriously what the hell are you doing on this site?

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •