Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

01 cobra vs. 00 Z28

a good buddy of mine has a 01 cobra has had it for a couple years now, since the day he drove me in it I was blown away by how it nailed me in the seat (mind u i drove a grand am at the time) about 8 months back I got my hands on a 00 z28 A4 (parents wouldn't let me get a m6). Since then we always talked about who's car would be faster w/o ever talkin trash about each other's cars.
    the day finally came when we decided to race, there was much hype about it between our friends so a decent amount of ppl came to watch. we agreed to a dig and inexperienced as I am i spun the tires pretty bad from the start and he launched perfect..he had a car on me till we got to 60 then I started making up ground slowly @ that point I lost traction completely on a small turn and came inches away from nailing him on the driver side, at that point we both stopped and agreed to only race eachother on a track in the future. My question is do I stand a chance against him on the strip/street cuz next time even more ppl are gonna show up and i don't wanna be embarrassed. (This was about 6 months back and since then the car has gotten a bit of a driver mod )
    cobra mods: catted x pipe, catback, cai, short shifter, lowered, good street tires. dyno: 293/293
    z28: catted slp y, borla catback(no muffler), mti lid k&n filter, lowered, shit tires(have good tread but still shit) dyno: 302/302(I have no f*ing idea why its so low. I have changed oil, plugs, etc.)

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

My car dynoed 285rwhp stock you don't have headers and have the ls-1 manifold that is about right. You really are a lid and catback(don't get what you mean by no muffler) away from stock. If you have stock gears I have found the 2nd to 3rd gear pull is a dead spot until after 100mph (105-108 is where you'll finish the 1/4). I say you have a chance but if he gets you out of the hole there is no chance with your gearing to catch up especially after 80mph(3.23's).
    Get some lca relocation brackets they can be had for under $80 and pushed me from 13's to the 12's.
    Do you have aftermarket wheels? If you by chance have the 16's use those and let the rears out to about 25psi and go down until you hook.

silver
    2002 ws6

you should be able to beat him with your car just the way it is. just dont sleep and dont spin.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Get a stall, gears sticky tires and a tune.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    My car dynoed 285rwhp stock you don't have headers and have the ls-1 manifold that is about right. You really are a lid and catback(don't get what you mean by no muffler) away from stock. If you have stock gears I have found the 2nd to 3rd gear pull is a dead spot until after 100mph (105-108 is where you'll finish the 1/4). I say you have a chance but if he gets you out of the hole there is no chance with your gearing to catch up especially after 80mph(3.23's).
    Get some lca relocation brackets they can be had for under $80 and pushed me from 13's to the 12's.
    Do you have aftermarket wheels? If you by chance have the 16's use those and let the rears out to about 25psi and go down until you hook.
    by no muffler I mean I replaced the borla muffler with just a pipe.
    and as far as brackets go would these be ok? http://www.spohn.net/shop/1982-1992-...Rear-Ends.html
    and yes i do have the stock 16's on(i just painted them black)
    I also plan on getting 3.73s soon-ish, with those gears+brackets+stickier tires would i run the risk of breaking my rear end?(i've heard that's the ls1's achilles heel) correct me if i'm wrong. I'm also under the oppression that he wouldn't stand a chance if i had 3.73s..is this true?

black
    2002 firebird trans am

get some sticky tires and you should beat him. The 01 weren't quite as fast as ls1 fbodys stock for stock. So just dont lose traction.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 4thGenTA View Post
    get some sticky tires and you should beat him. The 01 weren't quite as fast as ls1 fbodys stock for stock. So just dont lose traction.
    bog on any dr w/o a stall that is what mine and another did with stock stall.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 4thGenTA View Post

Mettalic Red
    2000 Trans am

If your going to the track, just make sure to get some tires that hook real good.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

i'm planning on getting gears(3.73), sticky tires, & lca relocation brackets(car is already lowered), with all that extra grip would i have to worry about breaking the rear? cuz i've heard that's the weak spot on the ls1's, correct me if i'm wrong

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    i'm planning on getting gears(3.73), sticky tires, & lca relocation brackets(car is already lowered), with all that extra grip would i have to worry about breaking the rear? cuz i've heard that's the weak spot on the ls1's, correct me if i'm wrong
    they arent the srongest, but it shouldn't be a problem with a stock converter.

if you want sticky tires, mickey thompson e\t streets hook the best. but are not the best in rain if your car is a DD

people find the nittos the best all around, but dont hook as good.

bfg's are junk.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

The seven and half 10 bolts definately aren't the strongest, but like has been mentioned about a stock converter... you'll be fine. You won't be throwing enough shock at the rear to risk grenading it off the line. Buddy of mine had a cammed/NX LS1 and put somewhere between 20-30 passes on it, before he ended up shattering it. I want to say his converter may have been a Vigilante 3000? And I thought he said it was a .566/.568 Comp Cam. In any event, what I'm trying to say is, you'll be just fine

If I were you, I would invest in SFCs ASAP. I'm in the process of doing my chassis/suspension right now as well

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Leadfarmer....kudos to you for taking it to the track!

What gear does your car have now? If it is 3.23, I wouldn't bother with a gear change, and instead, would go with a quality converter. Yes, with a converter and sticky tires, you'll be in more danger of breaking the rear, but it really doesn't take a lot of tire to make a mild A4 hook (Drag Radials will do it - even Nittos, which can be used in the rain so long as you're careful and the tread depth is still reasonable). The car being lowered will actually inhibit getting good traction, but if you like the look, then compromises have to be made.

Highly recommend LS1Tech.com Drag Racing forum for more mod and racing recommendations.

With a converter and DRs, you should have no problems with the Cobra from a dig.

Good luck!

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post

What gear does your car have now? If it is 3.23, I wouldn't bother with a gear change, and instead, would go with a quality converter. Yes, with a converter and sticky tires, you'll be in more danger of breaking the rear, but it really doesn't take a lot of tire to make a mild A4 hook (Drag Radials will do it - even Nittos, which can be used in the rain so long as you're careful and the tread depth is still reasonable). The car being lowered will actually inhibit getting good traction, but if you like the look, then compromises have to be made.

Highly recommend LS1Tech.com Drag Racing forum for more mod and racing recommendations.

With a converter and DRs, you should have no problems with the Cobra from a dig.

Good luck!
    both cars similar modded it is a drivers race. the tires arent a big difference at the track though. street tires are still street tires. its all in the seat time for your current situation. he will probably get you because he should know his car better. also you would get alot more help asking for reccomendations in the camaro section than the kills section. as far as reccomended mods you will hear the same stuff between here and ls1tech. the only difference is youll probably get way more "use the search feature" type responses on the other site.

1966 Corvette Coupe

Im actually surprised by that... My vette would reel in my buddies 99 cobra like a warn pulling in a perch... (he was actually lightly modded versus my pretty much stock)... Im surprised you didnt easily take him... Maybe with time and familiarizing yourself with the car will help you gain some on him...

-me

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post

Good luck!
    thanks for the advice guys,
    @blkcloud, I have the stock gears in mine (2.73 i think) so would i see a bigger difference with a better converter or gears? also i'm kinda confused...how would lowering a car inhibit traction? I've always been under the oppression that a lowered car w/ properly adjusted control arms would give you better traction...

white
    2000 Z28

thanks for the advice guys,
    @blkcloud, I have the stock gears in mine (2.73 i think) so would i see a bigger difference with a better converter or gears? also i'm kinda confused...how would lowering a car inhibit traction? I've always been under the oppression that a lowered car w/ properly adjusted control arms would give you better traction...
    a lowered car that doesnt have an aftermarket suspension set up should get the same amount of traction vs a stock height because the geometry of the suspension is set up for stock ride height obviously. where as adjustable aftermarket components like LCA's and TA's will give you better overall response and traction because they are adjusted for your car's ride height, and how its used.

that is assuming your car is lowered with proper performing springs and shocks. if your car is lowered with just springs and still are on stock shocks you actually took a step backwards in your set up. stock shocks are designed to work with and get full extension/compression with stock ride height. so they work properly at stock ride height, as opposed to partial compression/extension which wears the shocks out much quicker and also loses ride comfortability.

also lowered cars play with your weight transfer, which if you dont have enough that will also result in loss of traction. i guess it comes down to you being able to come up with a full list of your car's mods in order for members to give sound advice on what would/wouldn't help your car's performance. but at this moment seat time and a solid tune will even things up quite a bit as far as you vs the cobra goes. the only edge he has is drivers ability. if you can get more comfortable and both cars dont change it will be a back to back battle. when you get good with the car then the scales should tip in your favor. and when you both get into more mods you should start pulling pretty easy until he gets boosted. bolt ons and n/a mods dont do as much for 4.6 motors compared to what they do for our 5.7's.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

The way the cars sit, you should beat him as long as you can come out of the hole. He has an IRS and if he hasn't had alot of time at the track launching, then that could be an issue for him. If he has a decent gear(i didn't see one mentioned) that could be a problem. Both my old 99 and 97 Cobra's loved 4.10's and 4.30's and with bolt ons and a tire it woke the cars up. Just get some seat time and practice what works for you. Also leave the transmission in OD.

I wouldn't sweat the 302/302 for power as you are right on the money for the mods. Worry more on launching and making your runs.

Yes the 10 bolts are known to be weak, but with an Auto car they tend to break less compared to the M6's. I have personally seen stock 10 bolts go 10.0's@134 on a tire.

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    both cars similar modded it is a drivers race.
    There's no real "driving" to a stab-n-steer car (A4), so I disagree with your statement.

the tires arent a big difference at the track though. street tires are still street tires.
    What? How much track racing have you done? Drag Radials - most especially those like M/T Drag Radials - can make a HUGE difference.

its all in the seat time for your current situation. he will probably get you because he should know his car better.
    Doubt it, but its pure conjecture and speculation.

also you would get alot more help asking for reccomendations in the camaro section than the kills section. as far as reccomended mods you will hear the same stuff between here and ls1tech. the only difference is youll probably get way more "use the search feature" type responses on the other site.
    Bologna. LS1Tech.com has a lot more racers - and certainly a lot more faster racers.

The main issue with a mostly-stock suspension being lowered is that it inhibits weight transfer. I don't care what you have for LCA's or other typical suspension mods, if the car is "slammed", it will hurt traction.

The exception would be a properly setup drag car that is designed to have virtually no 'give' in the suspension at all. We're not talking cars like that here though.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Lead....if money is tight, get some take-out 3.42s from an M6 car and a decent converter. If I *had* to choose or the other, I'd probably get the converter, but on that one, you need to get advice from those with first hand experience.

Good luck.

Thread Information