Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 01 cobra....

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

01 cobra....

Well im on my way home and decide to take the route right through town. Im at a stop light waiting to turn left and i hear this rumble come from behind me. I look in my rear view and see a snake in the mirror and a mexican driving and i started to get excited, first of all because no mexicans in my town really know how to drive. Well we left the stop light and turn and he pitches it sideways and i thought to myself, cool. He gets up beside me and smiles and i put it in first and hit it and went sideways and he gave me a thumbs up, then he down shifted and tried to do the same thing. He had to dump his clutch and rev it up to get it to get sideways a 30, so i returned and gave the thumbs up back. We get beside each other and hit it right at the same time and at the end of first his front bumper was at my rear bumper and i had to brake cuz of traffic. He then gave me another thumbs and i did as well and he turned off. I wish we could have stayed in it atleast till third or so, but o well.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Good race, too bad you couldnt go any longer with it. Either way you wouldve won, unless he was seriously modded up.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

very dumb lil brother to be doing that in town. haha o well. i dont think he is modded up. i also suspect its a 99 model. all i can tell is okay 2 tone paint red and black, lowered and exhaust

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Very few visual cues that distinguish a 99 from an 01. Main one is the spoiler (01 had a slightly raised spoiler). No Mustangs were two-tone from the factory (99 or 01), so it would have had to have been repainted.

HP/performance wise, 99 and 01 were identical, assuming a 99 has had the performance recall performed.

black
    01 SS

the 99 and 01 cobra had the exact same spoilers on the back, the easiest way to tell a difference, is the rear bumper.. the 99 still said mustang in the rear cover, and the 01 look identical, just said cobra insted..

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Concur with the words "Mustang" for 99 and "Cobra" for 01 (forgot about that). However, you are incorrect about the spoilers:

Here is the spoiler off a 99:

And here is the spoiler off an 01:

I certainly could have worded it better....the 01 is not "raised" more, rather, it mounts in a different spot and thus has a different look to it.

black
    01 SS

opps my bad. lol idk, i forgot all mustangs 01+ came with that spoiler.. thanks for clearing it up..

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Guess we're "even", so to speak.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

When I was a teenager, I would just go off of hp numbers, and I remember when I got my 93 6 speed TA, I knew I had a 275 horsepower LT1, and I knew the 96-98 Cobras had 305, so I always thought I would lose. One night I raced one and beat it pretty good, 1-2 cars, we raced like 4 times from 4 differant speeds. Every time I won. I was amazed.
    When I got my 99 TA, my friend told me that a 320 hp 01 Cobra would beat me because I had 305 hp. I knew better and went lookin for one. Raped a lot of them over the years. Fun, fun, fun. As long as there not modded alot, you will win if you have an LS1
    Torch Red -1999 FRC Corvette- Borla Stinger exhaust, Halltech Stinger intake

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ive raced a couple in the past in my 93 LT1 and had no issues pulling on them, ive driven a 01 Cobra and wasnt impressed at all, at first it has good torque and feels like it will pull hard all the way through the rpms but not much up top. The clutch on those cars is a PITA, if you havent test driven both cars you just have no idea how much of a difference there is between the 2 meaning how the power comes in, basically it reminded me of how my 95Z A4 would accelerate, good in the lower rpms and then flat on its face up top unless you got good mods.

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

Ya the '01 cobra's aren't much to write home about, the '03-'04 cobras however, are pretty nice right from the factory. 390hp which most agree is underrated since ford didn't want to break 400hp for insurance reasons (theory) is pretty beefy.

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Musclecargt71 View Post
    Ya the '01 cobra's aren't much to write home about, the '03-'04 cobras however, are pretty nice right from the factory. 390hp which most agree is underrated since ford didn't want to break 400hp for insurance reasons (theory) is pretty beefy.
    yes the 03 04 cobras were great, too bad they messed up the cobra after that. They should drop the shelby thing and just make a SVT Mustang Cobra again and make it a i.r.s. car and a dohc 4.6 supercharged with an aluminum block. I dont like all the roush stage blah blah and their overpriced over weight shelby gt 500 and kr 500. Just go back to a GT and a Cobra. Simple. Too many options and brand names involved with the Mustang now. Your paying alot of money for names and badges. Just my opinion.

black
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Musclecargt71 View Post
    yea i would love to own a sonic blue 03 cobra.... ive drove a few, and i cant help myself, but they are a blast to drive and very comfortable i think..

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    yes the 03 04 cobras were great, too bad they messed up the cobra after that. They should drop the shelby thing and just make a SVT Mustang Cobra again and make it a i.r.s. car and a dohc 4.6 supercharged with an aluminum block. I dont like all the roush stage blah blah and their overpriced over weight shelby gt 500 and kr 500. Just go back to a GT and a Cobra. Simple. Too many options and brand names involved with the Mustang now. Your paying alot of money for names and badges. Just my opinion.
    I personally would like to see a new mach 1 with a N/A 5.4 liter alum block making around 450 crank hp. That would be an awesome engine to have and still be around 40k new.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I personally would like to see a new mach 1 with a N/A 5.4 liter alum block making around 450 crank hp. That would be an awesome engine to have and still be around 40k new.
    aint gonna happen.

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by foxman92 View Post
    yea i would love to own a sonic blue 03 cobra.... ive drove a few, and i cant help myself, but they are a blast to drive and very comfortable i think..
    I had an 03 termi, the clutch position and shifter position are acwkward.
    The fbods are much more natural feet and arm positions. I always felt like I was reaching to shift, and Im 5'11. felt like the seat was too high compared to the stering wheel. Some people like the more upright seating, some say the fbods and vettes seem like you are laying down on the floor.

But my Cobra was much faster than any GM I have had, so I got used to the car then it wasnt so bad. And that supercharger sound was sweet, like music to my ears. I miss it.

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    It might happen, but it would be more like 390-400 crank hp. And that would be competitive with the new Gen 5 ss maros because they are lighter. (450 hp would be alot out of a na 5.4 v8)

That would be ok too, you would have your 315 hp gt for around 30k your mach 1 with 390 around 35k and a svt cobra around 430 hp supercharged for 40k

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    (450 hp would be alot out of a na 5.4 v8)

That would be ok too, you would have your 315 hp gt for around 30k your mach 1 with 390 around 35k and a svt cobra around 430 hp supercharged for 40k
    I suppose, even though porsche has a 3.8 h6 that makes 435hp and bmw has a 3.5liter v8 that makes over 500hp. Spend the money on the engine and make the car itself like the bullit mustang, stripped down with nice suspension.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Have you looked at what comes standard on the Bullitt? I wouldn't call it stripped at all (as much as I'd prefer it to be that way). It has all the standard features of a Mustang GT Premium, and can be had with all the same options too, along with the stuff that makes the Bullitt unique.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Have you looked at what comes standard on the Bullitt? I wouldn't call it stripped at all (as much as I'd prefer it to be that way). It has all the standard features of a Mustang GT Premium, and can be had with all the same options too, along with the stuff that makes the Bullitt unique.
    I just meant the body, give it a scoop and a spolier but other than that who cares. Just a fast car, i always liked the lx foxbody to the GT. Kinda like that

Thread Information