Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Talking '00 Z28 Vs. '05 Charger

1st off...NO IDEA if it was an SRT8 or what. I was on Rt 1 in New Jersey last night and this white thing was right next to me at a light and I had no clue it was anything fast. So the light turns green and I usually hit it alil anyways, well, this thing punches it and gets ahead of me, so I punch it, fly past him and slow up...he comes up and gives me the thumbs up. Cool guy in my book! My faith gets renewed in my LS1 everytime!

Black
    1987 Grand National

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    1st off...NO IDEA if it was an SRT8 or what. I was on Rt 1 in New Jersey last night and this white thing was right next to me at a light and I had no clue it was anything fast. So the light turns green and I usually hit it alil anyways, well, this thing punches it and gets ahead of me, so I punch it, fly past him and slow up...he comes up and gives me the thumbs up. Cool guy in my book! My faith gets renewed in my LS1 everytime!
    Nice kill!. It wasn't an SRT8 because, if you are stock, you would have never passed it.

Route 1 ?!, no way you would pass it. No traction - too many pot holes.

07 CBR1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by Marc87GN
    Nice kill!. It wasn't an SRT8 because, if you are stock, you would have never passed it.
    I drove one of those cars with that 6.1l Hemi and there ok but not super fast at least I didnt think so. Nice Kill
    00 Z28 M6 :SOLD:
    N/A:411 RWHP@376 RWTQ
    Spray:567 RWHP@597 RWTQ
    New Ride, The new baby, 2007 CBR 1000RR, PCIII, full exhst, BMC race air filter, custom tune, flapper mod, stainless lines, rear fender delete, double bubble, CRG levers, frame & swing arm sliders

Quote Originally Posted by smokenssz
    I drove one of those cars with that 6.1l Hemi and there ok but not super fast at least I didnt think so. Nice Kill

You're right - high 12's stock isn't very impressive

Black
    1987 Grand National

Quote Originally Posted by smokenssz
    With what you are driving, I would imagine it wouldn't feel fast. If you were stock, it would have impressed you more. I have a video of one going 12.75 bone stock so it's quite impressive for what it was designed for and the weight it's moving. We have to remember that it's a luxury sedan and not a sports car. With 2 doors and 700 lbs less to make it a reasonable 3500 lbs, it would be a low 12/high 11 second car stock. Stock LS1s, mustangs or GNs aren't superfast stock either, but we make them that way.

http://www.challengevideos.com/2005/...otearsb_01.wmv

They go low 13's said the add in last months hot rod magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by skar
    They go low 13's said the add in last months hot rod magazine.
    Plenty stockers in the 12's with videos and slips to prove it.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yea but how much mone are they, high 30k-40k and how much is a LS1
    which one looks sportier, a camaro/firebird or magnum, charger, 300c

i rest my case
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Black
    1987 Grand National

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss

i rest my case
    Wow, now we are moving to a ricer argument. I'm a bit surprised by that statement actually. The minute a ricer gets it's ass kicked by a domestic, you get the "well my interior is better" or "he/she paid more for it". Please give me a break. The LS1 is not the fastest thing on road and the sooner the idealistic people realize this, the better they will be.

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss

i rest my case
    Somehow I doubt that the guy that just bought a new SRT8 says to himself "gee, why didn't I buy a Camaro with an LS1"? Just a hunch.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Marc87GN
    The LS1 is not the fastest thing on road and the sooner the idealistic people realize this, the better they will be.
    WHOA WHOA WHOA! I never would even dream of thinkin my car is the fastest thing on the road man! And no, my car is not stock so it probably could beat an SRT8, but it's not "THE SHIT". I hate the body style of the new Charger, but I'm not gonna knock on anyone driving one...

[QUOTE=lieu910]Plenty stockers in the 12's with videos and slips to prove it.[/QUOTE

Its only a quote from the add. The viper was the only one under 13 sec,(of coarse)
    But I did here there is a 2 door Challenger in the works that is a lot lighter with the 425 hp.

WHOA WHOA WHOA! I never would even dream of thinkin my car is the fastest thing on the road man! And no, my car is not stock so it probably could beat an SRT8, but it's not "THE SHIT". I hate the body style of the new Charger, but I'm not gonna knock on anyone driving one...
    Actually, if you're buying a brand new car I would say a GTO or SRT8 is to use your words "THE SHIT". What else is there in that price segment that can perform that well???

Black
    1987 Grand National

Actually, my post was not directed towards you.

Black
    1995 Firebird

Why does everyone think that when people buy cars they are always looking for the best hp for the money. That is hardly the case. Most people buy what they think looks nice, and if it has power than it is a perk. Not everyone is out to race on the streets. Im sure there are people out there who thing their Stratus R/T is "The Shit" because they think it looks better than a T/A.. Although those people should be shot Im sure they are out there....

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm45
    Why does everyone think that when people buy cars they are always looking for the best hp for the money. That is hardly the case. Most people buy what they think looks nice, and if it has power than it is a perk. Not everyone is out to race on the streets. Im sure there are people out there who thing their Stratus R/T is "The Shit" because they think it looks better than a T/A.. Although those people should be shot Im sure they are out there....
    I'll respectfully disagree. Looks are not my first priority when I purchase car and power is a big consideration. I base a purchase on what I need in terms of room, quality, value, fun to drive. Looks are subjective, one man's dream car is another man's nightmare. If somebody loves their Stratus R/T - god bless them, whatever makes them happy.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm45
    1st off...a Dodge Charger way back in the 70's mopar days was so well known for it's power it's not even funny. You associate "Charger" w/ fast car. Now a NEW car thats spose to be known for having power can't beat a way less expensive OLDER car, why would you pay more money for it? Another thing that I hate would be people who pick up Z06 Vettes or Dodge Vipers and do like 25mph on the freakin highway w/ them. BUY them and USE them! You're paying so much money for so called speed machines, make sure they have some balls and use them!

1st off...a Dodge Charger way back in the 70's mopar days was so well known for it's power it's not even funny. You associate "Charger" w/ fast car. Now a NEW car thats spose to be known for having power can't beat a way less expensive OLDER car, why would you pay more money for it? Another thing that I hate would be people who pick up Z06 Vettes or Dodge Vipers and do like 25mph on the freakin highway w/ them. BUY them and USE them! You're paying so much money for so called speed machines, make sure they have some balls and use them!
    With all due respect, I think you are a little misinformed. Yes, the old Chargers and new Chargers have little in common. However, I can tell you without question that generally an old Charger even with a well tuned and well driven hemi or 440-6bbl is only a mid to low 13 second car in stock trim. Bare in mind the Hemi was a VERY costly option back then and most Charger R/T's had the standard 383 or standard 440. Those cars were obviously not as quick as the hemi or 440-6bbl. My 69 Roadrunner 440-6bbl ran a 13.7 and was essentially stock. I think there was more in it, but I only ran it once.

Now, today you can buy a new Charger that will do high 13's in R/T trim stock, or an SRT8 that will suck the chrome off an old Charger and has a top speed of over 170mph. I'll add that YES a new Charger (SRT8) will have an advantage over a stock f-body. Old musclecars are great, but they are not even in the near vicinity of how new musclecars perform. I've owned MANY old musclecars and they are a blast, but the new stuff is vastly better.

Lastly, the guys buying Vipers and Z06 Vettes are typically a bit older and in most cases maybe a bit wiser. I understand there are exceptions to every rule. Most probabally didn't aquire that kind of success by accident. By and large, I don't think these guys take many risks out on the road, and actually that is to be commended. However, I do have a friend that owns 2 vipers and a Z06 (among other toys), and he will occasionally bring them to the track. Having mopped people off the road for 15 years for stupidity on the road, I give these guys credit for showing restraint on a public road where moms and kids are just trying to get home. Your views will change when the mom and kids are yours. A little fun on the street is fine as long as the safety of others is not in jeapordy.

As the Germans say - "Too soon old - Too late smart"
    Last edited by lieu910; 01-04-2006 at 05:35 AM.

NBM
    '00 Z28

1st off...a Dodge Charger way back in the 70's mopar days was so well known for it's power it's not even funny. You associate "Charger" w/ fast car. Now a NEW car thats spose to be known for having power can't beat a way less expensive OLDER car, why would you pay more money for it?
    Actually, the SRT-8 version of the car will beat a stock LS1. Stock for stock, it's faster. The time slips will prove that. I think it runs like a 13.2. The stock LS1 SS package ran a 13.3 or 13.4. I think 13.2 outta the box on street tires, in a four door no less, is pretty damn good. But hey, let the uninformed flames fly. Afterall, isn't that what we're having LS1.com become all about?

Thread Information