Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do not buy a "Performabuilt" transmission

This is a discussion on Do not buy a "Performabuilt" transmission within the Sponsor Feedback forums, part of the Sponsors Group Pricing and Parts Review category; Originally Posted by JDHedman I have heard mixed reviews on the pb trans some people say they have had nothing ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JDHedman View Post
    I have heard mixed reviews on the pb trans some people say they have had nothing but problems from them and had to sign some waiver/release to get even a partial refund and others saying they are the best thing since the ls1.. personally I think having a timeline warranty sucks on performance parts like trans/engine/rear end it would make more sense (imo) to have a mileage warranty as a lot of us store are cars 6 months or more out of the year and some only drive on weekends when during the 6 months they are out. so you could go a year and a half and only have 1500 miles on it when it stops working and be out of warranty. jmho but what do I know not like I have a performance company.. good luck with your trans how many have you had now?
    I agree 100% with this as I am one of those individuals who stores my car from Oct. to April and drives only about 2-3K a year on average.

So if you put 30,000 miles on your trans in a year you will warranty it, but if someone drives 5,000 miles in 2 years you won't warranty it? EVERYONE knows that LS1/sports cars in general do not see high mileage. Rare cases are obviously going to happen, but are just that with these cars, rare.

I know shit happens, but if something is rated for 500HP and you are only throwing 350HP at it, that's a safety factor of almost 1.5 from an engineering standpoint. Even with moderate abuse, that should not be failing in a year's time frame IMO.

Not stating who is wrong or right in this scenario, just stating my opinion.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I agree 100% with this as I am one of those individuals who stores my car from Oct. to April and drives only about 2-3K a year on average.

So if you put 30,000 miles on your trans in a year you will warranty it, but if someone drives 5,000 miles in 2 years you won't warranty it? EVERYONE knows that LS1/sports cars in general do not see high mileage. Rare cases are obviously going to happen, but are just that with these cars, rare.

I know shit happens, but if something is rated for 500HP and you are only throwing 350HP at it, that's a safety factor of almost 1.5 from an engineering standpoint. Even with moderate abuse, that should not be failing in a year's time frame IMO.

Not stating who is wrong or right in this scenario, just stating my opinion.
    but you will also agree that the safety factor is only relevant when all regular maintenance is performed. I don't know who is at fault ..but i hope this gets settled.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yes I agree with that part also Shady. Maintenance is key on anything, so it's hard to evaluate without all the details. Good luck to both parties.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

posts deleted.......

I will leave this open for the 2 parties involved but I'm going to ask that if you're not directly involved to not post in the thread. Everyone has opinions and "he said she said" stories but those have no place in the thread. This is just for communication between these 2 guys. If/when they're done this thread will get closed.

There will be absolutely no bashing of anyone tolerated. Warnings will be handed out.

blue
    2000ss

Trouble with a milage based warranty is this, 1-Who do you trust to keep track of the milage when you dont do the installation in house, This would limit installations to dealers only which would be bad for the vast majority of customers. 2- While some might be happy with a 12000 mile warrranty another guy who lets say does drive his car all year and put 12000 miles on his car quickly he would be upset if it failed in only a few months but over 12000 miles.
    Its complicated really but I think having the longest time based warranty out there as we do is the best solution.

As for another question that was ask how many has he had well the answer is he got one from us in july of 07 we repaired it right at one year later and now its 2010 and its broke. Of note he also had two units from someone else prior to our unit that lasted less than 1000 miles each.

And yes on the matter of some people being unhappy there are a few very few and thats expected when you have well over 2000 units out there. But the vast majority are well pleased with the units they get from us with both there performance and reliability. When recently had one customer making over 700 rwhp been running and racing for over two years, When he changed his engine out he decided to have the unit inspected it was a level 2 and was inspected by Chance converters. They stated the unit was and exceelnt build and was in great shape and were surprised at how well it had fared at that power level. It was a level 2.

We dont have any way to solve issue like this one when they come up other than the 950 restore since any other solution would be the equivalent of giving a full forever warranty on a performance trans. We had hoped that and its true for most having the longest warranty in the performance trans business would be adequate for most people and it is. But as with all things there will always be the isolated incident where its not satifactoy but its the best we can offer.

I know many of our competitors offer much shorter warrantys and in some cases they dont even cover hard parts failues etc. Some offer something similar to our restore at something like 250 dollars but this does not include parts or shipping and only gives avery short 90 day warranty afterwward.

I still think we have the best set up for everyone while there is indeed no such thing as one size fits all its the best we can do to cover all as fairley as possible without having a open ended warranty whic no company can do.

Its unfortunate this gentleman is unsatisfide however I have stated to him he has the option of the 950 restore which includes shipping each way and parts and labor and get a new warranty and i also stated that since from description it appears he may have a 2/4 band failure that if he wanted to try and fix it himself i would be available for tech information. I do not see where I can do anymore than that.
    Its just and unfortunate situation overall. But I am afraid its also one of those deals where there is no way to fix the situation to the customers satisfaction short of throwing all our warranty policies out the door for everyone.
    This is really all I can say on this matter
    Frank at PerformaBuilt
    Last edited by performabuilt; 01-30-2010 at 08:58 AM.
    FREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,2YR WARRANTY, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL or text 570-578-5686 7 days a week 9 am till 10 pm.

Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

I have a question... I use my camaro daily and i drive over 12kmiles in a year. I want to replace my old tranny and search a new heavy duty long life tranny. Can your lvl2 match that?

blue
    2000ss

Yes we have many who drive well over 12000 miles a year. And our warranty is strictly time based meaning even if you drove 25000 milesa year it would be covered ,
    Frank

Black
    2000 Firebird

For the price you can get a local builder to build you a trans

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information