Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do not buy a "Performabuilt" transmission

This is a discussion on Do not buy a "Performabuilt" transmission within the Sponsor Feedback forums, part of the Sponsors Group Pricing and Parts Review category; July 07 I spent $1600 on their stage 1 4L60E. The trans is rated at 500hp. I drive a basically ...

black
    1998 Formula Firebird

Do not buy a "Performabuilt" transmission

July 07 I spent $1600 on their stage 1 4L60E. The trans is rated at 500hp. I drive a basically stock LS1. Stock torque converter and no shift kit. (a lot of you know this story already, so sorry). So July 07 I get the trans. Drive it the rest of the summer with no racing, put it away for the winter, get it back out in April. Within a month the trans failed as it lost 3rd and 4th gear. With only 3 months or so of my warranty left, I contacted them and they said send it back. So I did, paying out of pocket to ship it to PA, not to mention the headache and downtime again. While it was there I asked them if I was doing something wrong or if something else was wrong with the car, they said no. I expalined in detail that im not nice to the car. They repaired the trans sent it back and I installed it. Trans didnt feel anything like it did before, so I called them and they said it was detuned for reliabilty and longevity. LOL, what a joke. Drove it all summer of 08, again no racing. Put the car away for winter. Get it back out summer 09. Drive it most of the summer and towards the end of summer I lose 2nd and 4th. Trans is out of warranty. I contacted them as I sat on the side of the road, they said my rearend caused it to fail and for $950 they would rebuild it again. Not a chance.

I need to go to the garage and find my receipts and prove that the first time was still under warranty. Anyways dealing with the problems Ive had with this "bulletproof" 4L60E, I will not recommend their products and will try to deter as many people as possible from buying from them. Im sorry but a 300 hp car shouldnt be able to break a 500 hp transmission, ecspecially if they "guarantee it".
    LS6 Intake - Jet Hot Ceramic coated Pacesetter Headers - SLP RamAir hood - SLP lid - SLP tips - Hotckis lowering springs - ZR1 wheels - Hooker Aerochamber - Performabuilt Stage 1 4L60E -

www.myspace.com/FormulaZspace
    www.fquick.com/FormulaZ

Agreed

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

i had a guy build mine locally for 450 bucks labor and parts at cost. without stall, i spent around 1800, but it's supposed to handle the abuse of 800 lbs of torque. something like that in the 700hp range.

Red
    2001 WS6

RPM transmissions. Nuff said.

black
    1998 Formula Firebird

anything but performabuilt

Red
    2001 WS6

Sorry to hear about all your problems thou. Hope everything works out for you.

black
    1998 Formula Firebird

thanks, just trying to get the word out. i wouldnt normally bash a company and its products, but i just have to this time

98 Formula
    06 duramax

moving this to the feedback forum......

blue
    2000ss

Quote Originally Posted by turbocreeper View Post
    July 07 I spent $1600 on their stage 1 4L60E. The trans is rated at 500hp. I drive a basically stock LS1. Stock torque converter and no shift kit. (a lot of you know this story already, so sorry). So July 07 I get the trans. Drive it the rest of the summer with no racing, put it away for the winter, get it back out in April. Within a month the trans failed as it lost 3rd and 4th gear. With only 3 months or so of my warranty left, I contacted them and they said send it back. So I did, paying out of pocket to ship it to PA, not to mention the headache and downtime again. While it was there I asked them if I was doing something wrong or if something else was wrong with the car, they said no. I expalined in detail that im not nice to the car. They repaired the trans sent it back and I installed it. Trans didnt feel anything like it did before, so I called them and they said it was detuned for reliabilty and longevity. LOL, what a joke. Drove it all summer of 08, again no racing. Put the car away for winter. Get it back out summer 09. Drive it most of the summer and towards the end of summer I lose 2nd and 4th. Trans is out of warranty. I contacted them as I sat on the side of the road, they said my rearend caused it to fail and for $950 they would rebuild it again. Not a chance.

I need to go to the garage and find my receipts and prove that the first time was still under warranty. Anyways dealing with the problems Ive had with this "bulletproof" 4L60E, I will not recommend their products and will try to deter as many people as possible from buying from them. Im sorry but a 300 hp car shouldnt be able to break a 500 hp transmission, ecspecially if they "guarantee it".
    (So your saying that if we rate the trans to a max of 500 hp and it ever breaks no matter how long its is if you have less than that we should fix it free forever?) (A full forever wwarranty on a performance transmission)( We already offer a longer warranty than anyone else)

You should tell the whole story like I ask when you stated in your PM that you were gonna do this unless we fixed the trans again. But I guess you dont wanna tell the story honorably so I will .
    This Gentleman purchased a trans for his car in july of 2007 its failed one year later and 6 months out of warranty in july 2008 we repaired the trans out of warranty then at no charge beyond the shipping being nice and to promote good relations, Its now 1 and 1/2 year later and hes has had some other problem now, As with everyone we offered te 950 restore which includes parts and labor and shipping and a new warranty.
    He then sent a PM saying if we didnt repair the trans free again 1 and 1/2 years later and 2.5 years since the purchase he would bash us in the forums and so he is. Just so everyone knows the whole story since he prefers not to tell it like it is.
    Its unfortunate he has had and issue but this is a performance car and I do not reasonably think we can be expected to warranty forever which seems to be what he wants. We allready have the longest and simplest warranty in the business,
    Frank at PerformaBuilt

Red
    2001 WS6

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Hard to say. Was the tranny installed and maintained properly (break in, fluid checks, and filter changes)? There also seems to be some conflict in warranty lengths as the website says 12 months if I read properly and the post by the sponsor agrees it was within that year, but says you were 6 months out of warranty and you say you had 3 months left? Also when a product is rated to a maximum, it is expected by a consumer to be able to safely use that product up to that maximum without problems, with proper maintenance. I can understand being upset; as a consumer we expect to buy products for our cars and have them last longer than the warranty date. If the tranny was maintained properly and not outrightly abused (reverse slams and the like) it should last for quite a long period of time. A tranny that fails after a year or even two years, and again I say with proper maintenance and used in the proper application, I would have to say is a problem with manufacturing. I can not say either way who is at fault without all the details (which is usually conflicted), but I can see both sides. If it does come down to a fault with manufacturing, more cases will likely come up. Forums like this are what can help a consumer find both good and bad products as long as people post about them. I hope you have better luck in the future with your car.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

blue
    2000ss

Ok he purchased the trans in 2007 without a converter. then we only offered 6 months on a trans without a converter and 1 year with a converter, In 2009 march we doubled the warranty on all of our new sales
    so he purchased in 7 of 07 then it broke in 7 of 2008 that would be 6 moths out of the old warranty and would be on the line if he had the new warranty, We repaired it no questions ask. Now a year and a half later its broke again and he feels we should repair it again. But that would be warranty is useless since basically anyone could make any claim and we would have to fix it, No company can do that. We already offer the longest warranty in the performance trans industry.
    Of note before he got one of our trans he got two somewhere else and they both failed in under 1000 miles just some information
    Last edited by performabuilt; 01-28-2010 at 08:27 AM.
    FREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,2YR WARRANTY, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL or text 570-578-5686 7 days a week 9 am till 10 pm.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i've heard nothing but great things about performa built...

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Ive got a performabuilt tranny and stall in my daily driver. I beat the crap out of it and it currently runs 10's in my car all day long and I still drive it over an hour back home from the track.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

<--- buying a stage 2 performabuilt transmission with in a month!!!!

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i've heard nothing but great things about performa built...
    +1. this is the first negative thing about performabuil on the forums i frequent.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Yes I've heard this story before from the same poster. However aside from that I've NEVER heard anything bad about performabuilt trannies. Just my .02..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Did anybody screw around with the tune for your trans by chance?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

having the transmission fail in the same manner as before in near the same time frame says manufacture defect..however i dont think this is the case since the time difference between the failures ..the chances of the same bad batch being used on both trans is unlikely ...so i would question the maintenance on the transmission ...a 8000 rated transmission will still fail in a 300 hp car as would a 300 rated transmission in a 300hp car...

black
    2000 Z28

I have heard mixed reviews on the pb trans some people say they have had nothing but problems from them and had to sign some waiver/release to get even a partial refund and others saying they are the best thing since the ls1.. personaly I think having a timeline warranty sucks on performance parts like trans/engine/rear end it would make more sense (imo) to have a mileage warranty as alot of us store are cars 6 months or more out of the year and some only drive on weekends when during the 6 months they are out. so you could go a year and a half and only have 1500 miles on it when it stops working and be out of warranty. jmho but what do I know not like I have a performace company.. good luck with your trans how many have you had now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information