Exclamation New threads not showing up in "new posts" link

Mods & Admins

I am pretty sure there is something wrong or a bug with the new posts link. Whenever I post a new thread, I never see it in new posts. I have noticed this for a long time. Eventually, I think after a certain period of time and/or thread activity, it shows up.

However, on many other vBulletin boards when you make a post it will show up immediately when you click on New Posts. That is the whole purpose behind the feature, to show new or updated threads.

Is anyone who runs this board aware of this issue? Test it and you'll see what I mean.

PS: I think if this is fixed, it will contribute to more messaging activity. On LS1Tech when you make a new thread, it pops up in New Posts right away.
    Last edited by apache; 10-19-2007 at 03:02 PM.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

That is the way it is suppose to work. When you post a new thread or post. It won't come up in "New Posts" since it isn't 'new' because you already saw it. Any new post in the thread will show.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

basically, if you posted it, youve already seen it. new posts only shows the new stuff you HAVENT seen yet, therefore your posts arent gonna bump threads in YOUR window, but for everyone else it will pop up

Oh ok I didn't know vbulletin was doing it like this all along. This is the only vbulletin board that I am a member on that works like that. Every other one, your post shows in New Posts. It won't be in bold of course, because you just read/saw it, but it should be there nonetheless.

Are you guys sure its working like you are describing, or are we just assuming this is how its supposed to be working? I've been to dozens of sites which run vbulletin, and NONE of them work like LS1.com. Every single board I've been to will show all new threads/posts in New Posts, regardless if you were the author or not.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by apache View Post
    Oh ok I didn't know vbulletin was doing it like this all along. This is the only vbulletin board that I am a member on that works like that. Every other one, your post shows in New Posts. It won't be in bold of course, because you just read/saw it, but it should be there nonetheless.

Are you guys sure its working like you are describing, or are we just assuming this is how its supposed to be working? I've been to dozens of sites which run vbulletin, and NONE of them work like LS1.com. Every single board I've been to will show all new threads/posts right away in New Posts.
    im positive thats how its working. ed blown vert is the owner/creator of this site haha. he would know. also this site has many differences with other sites such as thirdgen.org or ls1tech.com, so its not that hard to believe.

another example is that when you post in a thread, it pops up in your user cp as a new post in a subscribed thread... i hate that.

also here, so you dont get confused, in order to see the bold/nonbold like your talking about, you have to go to each forum section and it works exactly like your explaining it.

here, in the new posts section, the nonbold links are just threads/posts you have not read yet, but havent changed since your last login

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

personally i like the way ls1.com works more than any other board. it seems more user-friendly to me, and im just so used to it. but i got a bias opinion... i got 8,600 posts here while less than a hundred on each of the other sites haha

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by apache View Post

Are you guys sure its working like you are describing, or are we just assuming this is how its supposed to be working? I've been to dozens of sites which run vbulletin, and NONE of them work like LS1.com. Every single board I've been to will show all new threads/posts in New Posts, regardless if you were the author or not.

It will show every new posts you have not read. Once you read them. You will never see them when you use "New Posts" Or until 5 days have passed then it assumed you don't care to read them. Then those posts are changed to 'read'.

For your techies from the Manual:

The first one is what you are used to. We are using the 3rd option.

Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

ed, i like what you have done with the place.

Ok well in any case, thanks for clearing that up guys. At least its good to know that the threads are being seen in the New Posts view for others. I thought nobody was able to see them for some odd reason.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

BlacK
    2001 WS6

What I've noticed is when I click on usercp to see if there's new posts in threads I've posted in, there's always threads in it that don't have new posts but are being listed as if they do, it happens a lot.

Strange, I go into the thread and there hasn't been a new post in days in some of these and yet it's telling me last post was that day at such and such a time.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by {FzS}BlacKMagicK View Post
    What I've noticed is when I click on usercp to see if there's new posts in threads I've posted in, there's always threads in it that don't have new posts but are being listed as if they do, it happens a lot.

Strange, I go into the thread and there hasn't been a new post in days in some of these and yet it's telling me last post was that day at such and such a time.
    are they poll threads?

BlacK
    2001 WS6

In fact, the one that's been doing it a lot lately is a poll thread. Now I'll have to keep an eye out to see if it's always a poll thread.

Why do poll threads do that though?

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

In fact, the one that's been doing it a lot lately is a poll thread. Now I'll have to keep an eye out to see if it's always a poll thread.

Why do poll threads do that though?
    the "last post" its referring to is actually a vote. well it can be a vote or a post, either one. so if it says the last post was at 23:58am on january 71st, but the last post was 3 years before that, its referring to the last vote that was placed

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    the "last post" its referring to is actually a vote. well it can be a vote or a post, either one. so if it says the last post was at 23:58am on january 71st, but the last post was 3 years before that, its referring to the last vote that was placed
    Makes perfect sense.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Makes perfect sense.
    thats why i like this place

Thread Information