black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

Got pulled over today

Im heading to work, just got out of city limits and i start getting up to speed. My car been lowered and changed the tires and gears so you can imagine that, yes the speedometer is off. Ive found that around 70 on the speedo is about avergae cruising speed and that i stick with traffic good there. Anyway, as im out of the town limits i pass a trooper. I new he was turning on me so instead of trying to ditch him which i probably should have considering the circumstance not yet mentioned. I pull over give him my license and so forth i figued i was doing around 70 when he clocked me. Not to bad, thats dropable. But he comes up saying I was doing 81. Didnt have time to argue with him, needless to say it wouldnt done good if i had. But 81 i dont think so. So my options right now is to take a class to help get it reduced and im thinking of trying to order HP tuners and recalibrating the speedo to proove i wasnt going as fast as he claimed i was. So if you have read this far and would like to contribute to some advice that would be helpful thanks!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Take the class, get it reduced, and get your speedo calibrated. Compare what this ticket costs to the $150 Frost charges for a tune which would recal your speedo and then spend tomorrow and maybe the next day kicking yourself in the ass.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

The car is pretty well tuned but I was planning to buy the HP tuners anyway for both my cars and my buddies cars i got in shop as well. Ive been kicking myself in the ass since it happened. I didnt deny that i was going faster then i should have but, DAMN he really stuck in and broke it off. Im not mad the trooper was doing his job but he laughed at me as he handed me the ticket and thats what really ruined it for me.

blue
    2001 silverado

He has to have fun somehow i guess. Still not sure how you can challenge the ticket though. Even if you got the speedo right now.... The case is over and done with. Your wOrd is nothing now. Only way i see is if it was a hill or something. Use the i was coasting excuse lol.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

If I can get it reduced I dont mind paying the ticket. I didn't deny I wasnt speeding. Im challenging that he wrote up for more then what I was doing. Yea my word is shit over his but sometimes its who you know that helps in the long run.
    2002 Camaro Z28, A4, MS4 cam, underdrive pulley, Pacesetter LTs with ORX true duals
    2000 Camaro SS, M6, SLP LTs with ORX true duals

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

Not sure how the law is there, here in ky if your speedo is off you can get a shop to fix it, give you a receipt and a note stating it was off and how much it was off and they will throw it out (limit 1). If it happens multiple times well your prob just screwed. But i have a few friends that have pulled this off.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

If you want to argue the speed you were acused of then simply ask to see the radars calibration tag. If last inspection date is over a years length from the date you were scanned then you can argue in court that they were using possibly faulty equipment. ALWAYS do this regardless if you are 1 or 20 over the limit, if they are out of calibration then the ticket will ALWAYS be invalid, otherwise you will have to get some sort of writen proof that your speedo is faulty. Sorry Bro.
    Last edited by robcas47; 01-21-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

should of gunned it

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

IMHO, you're stuck with the ticket.

The moment you told the officer your speedo is off you admitted quilt by not haveing any real way to tell how fast you were going.

Does'nt matter if you think you were'nt going that fast, when the truth is you have no idea how fast you were going.

Sorry dude, take the class, pay the ticket and move on..

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    If you want to argue the speed you were acused of then simply ask to see the radars calibration tag. If last inspection date is over a years length from the date you were scanned then you can argue in court that they were using possibly faulty equipment. ALWAYS do this regardless if you are 1 or 20 over the limit, if they are out of calibration then the ticket will ALWAYS be invalid, otherwise you will have to get some sort of writen proof that your speedo is faulty. Sorry Bro.

This and get your speedometer fixed. Bring the receipt to show that your speedometer was off. I had friends do that and got the ticket reduced here in VA.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If an officer is on speed duty and his radar is out of calibration date, that police department sucks balls.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

i never said anything to him about the speedometer being off. I was already that much more late for work by the time he let me go. never did see the radar ether. its tax time NC needs to make back the money there fixing to shell out to tax payers. NC road laws suck so bad here and too many troopers on power trips. I dont mind the local PD at all but troopers are a waste of tax dollers. Only thing they really cover is interstate and wrecks.

To the ticket, i dont mind paying it. Just hope i can get it reduced to were i can just pay the fines and move along.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

If i could get a shop around here to write me a reciept showing i fixed the speedo i would. I was thinking of ordering HPtuners and taking the reciept were i could show that i bought the program to calibrate it myself. Dont know if that would work but that was one of the things i was planning on buying with my tax return anyway.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

I can't speak for N.C., but in NJ you can contest the ticket and get a court date. A lot of times the Officers who wrote the ticket don't show for a number of reasons. If they don't appear when you do, the ticket is invalidated. Often times before your case goes before the judge you can meet with the officer and work something out for a lessor penalty such as no seat belt etc. You can offer to pay the higher fine but plead guilty to the lessor offense that usually doesn't carry points on your license. It also all depends on the officers frame of mind and if he feels you should get the break by coming to court. If he has other cases and has to be there anyway, you can be the nice guy and hope for the best. I would think the least that could happen is a reduction in the speed penalty.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

The case loads here are so backed up that i can go to the DA's office before my court date and get it reduced but im going to do that after i get that class out of the way.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Take the class, then have the speedo calibrated to keep the future gunsights off your back. Officers can pace you as well if they do not have radar. Also, if they have the "eye in the sky", they can radio a staged cruiser waiting for you to pass them to make the stop. Air support uses stopwatches between mile markers and use a formula to find out your speed, thus catching you even if there isn't a visible cruiser in the area.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I know in IN you can't use the 'my speedo is out of calibration' excuse. The judge will tell you that you are responsible for the condition of your car. You might get the judge to reduce it to a lesser speed, tho. In IN 1-15 over is all the same, 16-25 is different, etc. I suggest you go to court and at least make the LEO show up, I've had a couple tickets thrown out when the LEO didn't show up. Usually it is on my second appearance.

Thread Information