Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Where are all the convertible owners

This is a discussion on Where are all the convertible owners within the Convertible forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; New pic from this past weekend......

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

New pic from this past weekend...

Maroon
    2002 Camaro Z28 convert

Smile 2002 Z28 here in Pennsylvania

Hi Guys,

Bought this car in Rochester, New York last month. Had a 55 Chevtuy with a full house engine in the early 60's. This car reminds me a lot of it! After a lot of older foreign cars; Porche, Mercedes, BMW, etc. over the years I am returning to my roots!

Black
    2002 WS6

2002 M6 WS6 Vert here.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Vaughan View Post
    Hi Guys,

Bought this car in Rochester, New York last month. Had a 55 Chevtuy with a full house engine in the early 60's. This car reminds me a lot of it! After a lot of older foreign cars; Porche, Mercedes, BMW, etc. over the years I am returning to my roots!
    Hey man , these young guns don't have any idea what "FULL HOUSE" means , or Atlas Bukron Tires or 30 30 Duntov Cam or three quarter race or three on the tree . Like man , their all still wet behind the ears. Sounds like you were power shifting 4-speeds while most of em were shittin in their diapers . Congrats on your selection of American made muscle . Mine's an 02 Z/28 Vert also, but automatic . Anyway , welcome back into the brotherhood .

Maroon
    2002 Camaro Z28 convert

Thanks for the welcome!

Sorry about that! Yes, back in those days "full house" meant:

Racer Brown full race cam
    Hedman Headers
    Edelbrock manifold
    4, 2 throat Stromberg carbs
    Mallory ignition
    Bored
    Balanced
    High compression pistons

Unfortunately, when I ran it that one time at the drag strip, I was put in C gas class, and what should appear next to me but a 32 Ford with a full house Olds V8!!

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Were you runnin slicks ? What was your times & speed ?
    Your right though about them big Olds & Cads with their big block engines . Gassers was all the rage back in the late fifties & early sixties . Four deuces would definitely
    land you in a Gasser class. Three deuces on the other hand
    was pretty common and then along came the two fours & fuel injection . There was something about tri-power that just looked & sounded killer cool . You could here those three two barrels suckin & moanin over your loud exhaust when you kicked in all three of em . Ah , those were the days . Gas was cheap , and there wasn't a cop sitting at EVERY intersection like today . Thirty or forty years from now young racers of today will be reminiscing of how great it was back in 08 . Some things never change .

Maroon
    2002 Camaro Z28 convert

No, I wasn't running slicks but I did have fatter tires. I really needed gears to run better times. It has been a long time so I don't remember exactly my quarter mile times. It was around 14.something seconds but under 100 mph in the quarter. I also wish that I had 2, 4 barrel carbs as I would have had more venturi area. I had glass packs with cut-outs.

That was definitely a fun car to drive. You pull out to pass somebody and lay on the gas and it would really accelerate. Had solid lifters which were fairly noisy at idle along with the loping exhaust.

I grew up in a small town in Oregon. All there was to do was hunt, fish, and work on cars. Some of my most enjoyable memories were working on cars with me and my friends. Read Hot Rod magazine from cover to cover. Some of my friends had some pretty cool cars at that time. 47 Chevy with Olds V8, 50 Ford with the original flathead V8 but totally built, etc. The first car that came out that was hopped up off the show room floor was a 56 Chevy with dual 4 barrel. Then the 57 Chevy came out with close ratio transmission. Some of my friends started buying those. Those were the days!!

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

HOLY CRAP, listen to you two old farts.

When did this turn into the "rember when" thread?

Just kiddin'. I feel for you.

Maroon
    2002 Camaro Z28 convert

Wanna race???

Now lookie here ya young whippersnapper.....

Junior Member supercharged woman's Avatar

Triple Black-Convertible
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Man, there sure aren't many convertible fans on this web sight. Whats the deal ? Ya'll got something against em ?
    I am here.......I am here.............I am here !!!!!

She is a real black beauty............especially when the top is down....you can't find a nicer looking car. I need to post some pics of her......
    Last edited by supercharged woman; 04-10-2008 at 07:40 PM.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged woman View Post
    I am here.......I am here.............I am here !!!!!

She is a real black beauty............especially when the top is down....you can't find a nicer looking car. I need to post some pics of her......

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

No, I wasn't running slicks but I did have fatter tires. I really needed gears to run better times. It has been a long time so I don't remember exactly my quarter mile times. It was around 14.something seconds but under 100 mph in the quarter. I also wish that I had 2, 4 barrel carbs as I would have had more venturi area. I had glass packs with cut-outs.

That was definitely a fun car to drive. You pull out to pass somebody and lay on the gas and it would really accelerate. Had solid lifters which were fairly noisy at idle along with the loping exhaust.

I grew up in a small town in Oregon. All there was to do was hunt, fish, and work on cars. Some of my most enjoyable memories were working on cars with me and my friends. Read Hot Rod magazine from cover to cover. Some of my friends had some pretty cool cars at that time. 47 Chevy with Olds V8, 50 Ford with the original flathead V8 but totally built, etc. The first car that came out that was hopped up off the show room floor was a 56 Chevy with dual 4 barrel. Then the 57 Chevy came out with close ratio transmission. Some of my friends started buying those. Those were the days!!

Yeah , back in the day we called glass-pacs either "HOLLYWOODS or SMITTY'S" . And all the rage was solid lifters . To this day I get a nut listening to an old 50's or 60's Vette with solids. My first car was a 50 Ford 2dr custom deluxe with a flathead six & three on the tree junior year in high school . First car after graduation was a 58 Vette with powerglide , week later I put solid lifters in it . Ran in A-Sports class at local strip against another Vette (59) with 2-4's & beat him for my first trophy .
    What a rush . Wish I had all the money back that I spent on Hot Rods & hot rod magazines . Could retire on that alone . Its been fun though. Kept me outa trouble except for all the speedin & drag racin tickets .

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Now lookie here ya young whippersnapper.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Yeah , back in the day we called glass-pacs either "HOLLYWOODS or SMITTY'S" . And all the rage was solid lifters . To this day I get a nut listening to an old 50's or 60's Vette with solids. My first car was a 50 Ford 2dr custom deluxe with a flathead six & three on the tree junior year in high school . First car after graduation was a 58 Vette with powerglide , week later I put solid lifters in it . Ran in A-Sports class at local strip against another Vette (59) with 2-4's & beat him for my first trophy .
    What a rush . Wish I had all the money back that I spent on Hot Rods & hot rod magazines . Could retire on that alone . Its been fun though. Kept me outa trouble except for all the speedin & drag racin tickets .
    Young whippersnapper huh? I'll have you know, about 15 years ago, I used to own a 1970 Chevelle SS clone. I built a 350 stroker with a Crane solid lifter cam .536 lift ,aluminum roller rockers, 2.02 valves, titanium retainers......

Maroon
    2002 Camaro Z28 convert

Ok, Ok.....

Sounds like we got a interesting thread going! I defer to you with the 350 stroker Nova. Pretty cool.

All of this talk is reminding me of things. I had forgotten the name Smittys for the glass pack mufflers. I did have full moon hubcaps! All of this stuff was just what people were doing then. Now I look back on it and it was kind of like the movie "Back to the Future"!

I went home for my 50th High School reunion. Flew across the country. Hadn't seen most everyone in 50 years. Most of my friends are still into cars; but BMW's, Lexus, etc. Still a bunch of gear heads. One of them had a 36 Ford convertible when we were in high school. He still has it!!

Since all of us have LS1 engines a book you might find interesting by SA design publishers is "How to Build High Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s by Will Handzel, program manager at GM Performance Parts Division. The book is written with input from the guys at GM Powertrain division and goes into intimate detail at the beginning of the design approach, analysis, etc. they did with the design and production of this engine. They are mechanical engineers and hot rodders, some known nationally at the drag strip, etc. They were very aware of the lineage of the Chevy short block that started in 1955 and were determined to design and build a new engine that would honor that. It is a very interesting read. Later chapters are about all levels of modifications. The book is full of cutaway drawings and photos.

Maroon
    2002 Camaro Z28 convert

350 stroker Chevelle!!! Sorry!

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Sounds like we got a interesting thread going! I defer to you with the 350 stroker Nova. Pretty cool.

All of this talk is reminding me of things. I had forgotten the name Smittys for the glass pack mufflers. I did have full moon hubcaps! All of this stuff was just what people were doing then. Now I look back on it and it was kind of like the movie "Back to the Future"!

I went home for my 50th High School reunion. Flew across the country. Hadn't seen most everyone in 50 years. Most of my friends are still into cars; but BMW's, Lexus, etc. Still a bunch of gear heads. One of them had a 36 Ford convertible when we were in high school. He still has it!!

Since all of us have LS1 engines a book you might find interesting by SA design publishers is "How to Build High Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s by Will Handzel, program manager at GM Performance Parts Division. The book is written with input from the guys at GM Powertrain division and goes into intimate detail at the beginning of the design approach, analysis, etc. they did with the design and production of this engine. They are mechanical engineers and hot rodders, some known nationally at the drag strip, etc. They were very aware of the lineage of the Chevy short block that started in 1955 and were determined to design and build a new engine that would honor that. It is a very interesting read. Later chapters are about all levels of modifications. The book is full of cutaway drawings and photos.
    I bought that book about a month ago. I don't spend much time reading ,and I spend too much time on the internet, so I'm only on page 18. So far, it is a very good read. I recomend it to everyone on this website.

pewter metalic
    1999 trans am vert WS6

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

If you put [img] [/img] around the link.. it does this...

-Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Black
    2002 WS6

Thanks for the info on how to post a picture

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by dj'sws6 View Post