Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Washing your Vert, any special tricks/tips?

So since I have had mine (< than a month) I wash it this way: wash all body areas other than the top, dry etc. If the top is clean looking and not dirty I do not fool with it, water and fabric scare me too much! How do you guys do it?

PLMK
    Regards,
    Todd

#cajunhotrodder on instagram

RED
    1998 Trans Am, A4

Hi Todd,
    I've been washing mine very carefully with the top down. I hadn't washed it with it up yet.
    It would be nice to find out how we should take care of the top.

Regards,
    Scott

Bright Red

Yes, it would

I read the owners manual about washing the verts but i am just afraid to put the hose to her, I also just got the RAGGTOPP cloth ceaning kit which is two parts, a cleaner and a preservative. I hear once you use this the water beads like a waxxed car...seems to be what people in the know use.

I am sure me and you arent the only owners with this concern...

2002 z28 camaro

yes u can just wash it u can also go 2 boat supply house like westmarine and get water proofing spray works very well thats what I use on mine works great. I think I wash mine more than I drive it or so it seems.

I just wash mine like any other car and haven't had any issues. I figure the top is designed to get wet and the soap I use doesn't seem to be causing any issues with the top. I would like to find out what I can use to really clean it though as they are some marks from the previous owner I'd like to get rid of.

Bright Red

I bought the Raggtopp (brand name of vert cleaners) cloth kit which I will use once I get some time this weekend, I will post the results.

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    I bought the Raggtopp (brand name of vert cleaners) cloth kit which I will use once I get some time this weekend, I will post the results.

Please do I'm curious as to how well it works.

There's also 2 different kinds of tops. My '95 has a plastic like material while my '99 is actually cloth with a plastic liner under the cloth.

The '95 I wash just like the rest of the car with soap/water.
    The '99 I leave as is if its not dirty, or sometimes I'll use the vacuum cleaner on it to get little leaves and such off of it...otherwise soap and water also, just lighter pressure.

Black on Black on Black
    2002 Camaro SS Vert

Hey guys I share a few comments on what I do. I also don't wash the top regularly, it's black and is down most of the time. When wet though, I've found the best way to dry with no fuss is using a chamois cloth. It doesn't leave fuzz balls like a towel will. Another tip I got from this forum (and a great one I might add) is to purchase a small electric leaf blower to dry the car after washing. I did and it really makes no work out of drying the car.

Erik
    Erik

2002 Camaro SS LS1 / 1 of 147
    2004 Suburban 2500 HD 8.1L

Bright Red

blower

Thats funny, I myself have used a gas leaf blower to dry my car sometimes and now I see other do too, crazy world.

Black
    1998 Z28 Convertible

Almost 10 years of washing my vert, here's what i do..

Wash the car as normal, being careful around the windows, too much water can sneak through into the car.

Rinse the top. You don't need to use soap on it every time you wash. Since I only drive mine in summer I do one wash with raggtopp when I take her out of storage. I'm not sure about daily drivers, but from what I've learned you don't need to use soap with every wash. And I never use soap on the top, just convertible top cleaner.

Love my 'vert, hope you enjoy yours!

Bright Red

Talking luvdavert

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTimeZ28 View Post
    Love my 'vert, hope you enjoy yours!
    I truly do....I just got the raggtopp kit and used a lil cleaner on a spot or two, washed the entire car last saturday for the first time, no problems, lil wash soap and mitt, rinse well, let dry.

Thanks!

BTW-Ever clean the inside of your ragtop?? IE: the headliner if you will....mine is black and looks black and dusty/dirty too....

Silver
    1999 Chevy Camaro Convert

Scothguard works well too. There's a cleaner and a protector. It will repel water too. Very easy to use.

Bright Purple Metallic

I have not used Raggtopp but, 303 Fabric gaurd will last a few years on the top. This used to be only found at marine supply stores but, I have found it at a regonal auto supply store.

Also, you can always clean your top with a soft bristel brush and soap & water. For bird droppings and other marks, a stiff nylon brush will work to lift the debris off the top.
    Only 34K miles and still counting (that's from Sept '97)

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

A couple of extra "tricks" I use......

To get the last drops of water out from around turn signal lenses and lug nuts, I use a straw or compressed air to blow it out. Helps keep the incessant drip from re-appearing after you've dried and moved the car. I also open the deck lid and let it "drain" a few minutes before drying the rear fenders for the same reason. Also, open the hood and pop-up the headlights to dry and detail around those.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

i have had two convertibles a 97 z28 and then an 02 ss. both of them i was skeptical at first to put the hose to it at first but rest assured guys these tops will not let water seep through. yes if you spray it to hard a little will sneak through the side windows but thats about it. i was mine every week and i havnt had a prob. yet also i use a little soap every now and then you can tell when it needs it. the black(if its black) will not look as dark, it will look kinda dull. hope this helps

Here is what the maker of our Tops has to say on the subject...
    Cloth Top Cleaning

CAMBRIA®, STAYFAST®, TWILLFAST®, SONNENLAND®
    Solution Dyed Acrylic Topping Fabric

Ordering Information at bottom of page

Although the fabric does not promote mildew growth by itself, mildew may develop on dirt and other foreign substances that are not removed. This is especially true in warm, humid, dark environments. A program of keeping the fabric clean through regular washings, BEFORE it gets dirty, will enhance the life and beauty of the acrylic and make successive cleaning easier.

Most automatic car washes will not harm cloth top fabrics. Washes with water jets and hanging cloths provide a more gentle cleaning action. Those using heavy barrel brushes could damage the top material. Haartz recommends hand washing.

The Haartz Corporation recommends using RAGGTOPP™ Cleaner and RAGGTOPP™ Protectant (available from Wolfsteins Pro-Series at tel: 800-377-4700, fax: 770-395-1353, e-mail: info@wolfsteins.com).

Hand washing in shade or partial shade, not direct sunlight, is best. DO NOT USE DETERGENT. Bird and tree droppings, as well as other loose particle soils, should be removed immediately. Vacuum with a brush attachment and rinse thoroughly with water to remove loose particle soils. This will also prevent the soils from being redeposited during the cleaning process. Once the fabric has been rinsed thoroughly, spray RAGGTOPP™ Cleaner evenly over the entire surface while still wet. Allow the cleaner to soak for 10 to 20 minutes and then scrub lightly with a soft nylon brush or terry cloth rag. Rinse thoroughly, preferably until no remaining soap foam is observed. Additional cleanings may be required. It is best to determine the need for additional cleanings after the fabric has dried completely.

Washing with soap (ie. Ivory or Lux) and warm water is a safe alternative to RAGGTOPP™ Cleaner, but not as effective.

For more stubborn cases, mix a solution of no more than 1/2 cup (4oz.) bleach and 1/4 cup (2oz.) RAGGTOPP™ Cleaner per gallon of water, soak for approximately 20 minutes and scrub lightly as indicated above. (Excessive soaking with the bleach solution can deteriorate seam threads.) Rinse thoroughly to prevent streaking on painted and chrome surfaces. Several cleanings may be necessary.

Once dry, cleaning must be followed by re-water repelling with RAGGTOPP™ Protectant. (This product does not contain CFC's and therefore, is not harmful to the environment.) Failure to apply will result in rapid resoiling of the unprotected fabric.

Brian
    '02 Camaro SS Convertible: The Garage...
    September, 2007 COTM

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

i wash mine w/ the top up (closed).
    I use Mothers Convertible Vinyl shampoo and works great... i gently scrub the top w/ a sponge once wet and put a bit of shampoo... then rinse thoroughly (not high pressure water)... water off the hose.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Thread Information