silver
    98 z28 cvrt

Angry vert top BALOONING at high speedes.. PLEASE have a look

hey guys, i was making fun of a chick with a camaro vert that the top sorta baloons out from all the air that somehow gets under there at high speeds.... then my buddy told me mine does the same, and this is simply WRONG!

What is the cause, and what is the fix. Anyone with similar problem?

98 z28 vert, auto

Pewter
    02' Z28 Vert

I'd like to know if there is a cure for this also. I was told by another vert Z28 owner when I got mine to keep the windows up at speed above 45-55 mph. They said this avoids the bubble top look. I usually keep my windows closed on the freeway exept for quick moments. I run the a/c or heater for comfort control. I'll be looking out for any response to this thread also(other than replacement) for a fix.

Red
    2000 SS

I really hate to be the one to break the news to y'all, but the balloon effect is actually normal (on any vert with some years on it).

The top is fabric, so it's gonna "give" with exposure to the elements (heat/cold, rain/dry, etc).

It balloons from air coming into the cabin (from the HVAC, windows rolled up, etc) creating a positive pressure.

The computer also limits the top speed on an F-bod vert to less than the top end for har/T-tops (source = Chevrolet)

Is there a fix? A new top will be much tighter than an old one. Otherwise, if there is some way to "shrink" the fabric, that should work for a while.
    Last edited by TommySS; 11-03-2005 at 04:16 PM.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

get a t-top

camaros4ever
    The other guy is right basically your top is starting to fall apart the 2 parts of it are separting from each other, they say with these newer tops that the lifespan on them is only about 5 years. The only correct way to fix it is to install a new top.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

The only way I see is leave it down and don't worry about it. Yea a top only has a short life span. Up and down and hot and cold kills a top. Verts are good for sunny weather and seasonal driving.

mannys
    Crack each window open about a 1/2 inch while you are on the freeway and the bubble effect goes away.

silver
    98 z28 cvrt

hi,

I saw your reply about replacing your top.... what did you do? How much did it cost? How long did it take?

Will "peeling it back" affect the staples or can i access the staples in order to refasten them?

thanks for all the help!

'57,'63,'70,'91,'01

Leave the top down!

Red
    2000 SS

In the last century, I had a Challenger R/T (big block/hardtop). Leaving the windows up at speed actually pushed them out (hence they rattled unless they were rolled all the way down). When I've had the SS out, the T-tops were off and the windows were down to keep the same thing happening to them.

Verts are great "profiling" cars with the top down. But with the top up, they're not fun. I like the T-tops for the best of both worlds.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

I have a vert but the top is still tight. I only have 18k on the car and it's always garaged. If you're worried about it just drive with the top down.

Red
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98LSGUN
    I have a vert but the top is still tight. I only have 18k on the car and it's always garaged. If you're worried about it just drive with the top down.
    You're doing it right

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro SS vert

I'm not sure if mine bubbles up or not... I know what you're talking about though!

Red
    1998 M6 vert TA

Balooning is normal. For every vert. That shape will remain also when you stopped and remain like that for a while. Just without tension.
    As soon it becomes wet and then dry (rain then sun) it will have the original tension.
    My car (98) is outside 365 days a year and I have 60'000 miles on it. I drive it with open or closed windows at every speed.
    During occasional trips to Germany it's like 110 - 120 mph during 2-3 hours.
    After those trips it looks like an empty condom... then it comes back to normal
    MODS: A4 > M6 conversion, SC raptor hood, Vortech V9 G-Trim SQ, homemade water-alcohol injection
    DYNO: 410 RWHP, 417 TORQUE @ 5 PSI

Thread Information