Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BLACK
    2003 ZO6

Vert to hard top conversion

Is it possible to chop the top off of a hard top formula and install it onto a convert? Also taking the rear hatch and spoiler too off of the t-top t/a. I would think that it would be cheaper than transfering a fully built drivetrain to another car. I know nothing about body work but I'am guessing some sort of a custom shop could do it. Looking at pictures of formulas they have the same bird pan spoiler and trunk lid we vert people have.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My question is: Good Lord WHY?????

BLACK
    2003 ZO6

Thats a stupid answer. Why would you lift your truck, supercharge your car, do anything to your vehicle that would bring you more enjoyment out of it. I guess because of your age and you are nearing death soon, and have lost touch with your inner hot rodding self.

Quote Originally Posted by lingenfelter69 View Post
    Thats a stupid answer. Why would you lift your truck, supercharge your car, do anything to your vehicle that would bring you more enjoyment out of it. I guess because of your age and you are nearing death soon, and have lost touch with your inner hot rodding self.
    No I think it's a perfectly sane answer.

For starters,,,,lifting a truck or a supercharger is logical

People have however removed hardtops to make a convertable on cars that never were available in that body style....makes sense to me

But going the other way??? Especially when both styles are available from the manufacture??? Common man, I agree with Jim,,,that's just crazy thinking.
    If you wanted a hardtop that badly,,,,just sell your vert and go buy one. They are a dime a dozen. Verts on the other hand are hard to come by.

BLACK
    2003 ZO6

Now factor in swaping every suspension part, engine, transmission, exaust, rearend, etc. For someone like myself who do not have acess to a garage, it cannot be done. I don't have a money tree. I'am not asking if it is logical. I know that i could buy a hard top formula for the purpose of road race, i'am thinking of the cheaper route to go. I love my convertible. I love t-top better. Even better than that, I love a full solid roof.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Heh yeah I've never considered 'adding hard top to convertible' as a 'hotrodding mod' either

I have no idea if it can be technically done. But seems like it would be a shame to destroy one firebird to mod the other. I assume you'd be looking for a junked bird to get the top...

I don't know your position of course, but I agree with Jones, it seems like it would be easier to sell/buy another one. You say you don't have a money tree and are looking for the cheaper route to go, but I imagine this route would cost a few bucks too.

Just my undecuated 2 cents...

-----

ps, I noticed after the fact, my opinion is so uneducated that I couldn't even spell uneducated properly

Now factor in swaping every suspension part, engine, transmission, exaust, rearend, etc. For someone like myself who do not have acess to a garage, it cannot be done. I don't have a money tree. I'am not asking if it is logical. I know that i could buy a hard top formula for the purpose of road race, i'am thinking of the cheaper route to go. I love my convertible. I love t-top better. Even better than that, I love a full solid roof.
    Is it possible? Yes anything is possible but the expense would be outrageous. The engineering of it, welding, custom parts, etc...would cost more than another car. If people are charging 15-20k to convert a hard top I think it's safe to assume a comparable expense to do the reverse.

If you are interested in road racing you can do it in a convertible people do it all the time you just need the right roll cage.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

man, thats a pretty harsh response...

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    man, thats a pretty harsh response...
    Well, he does have Dr. Van Nostrin as his avatar, so that might explain it...

With the climate that you live in, a garage is an absolute necessity to do any work. So I can understand that. But if you can't do a simple motor swap or even a rearend with your current situation,,,,there is no way you can do a complete roof swap from one car to another.

That is major involvement, fabricating, paint and materials etc....all of this would set you back more than the cost of another 4th gen.

Since you love your vert, but then you say you love a T-top and then even a solid roof car that much more,,,,,then the logical choice is obvious, you have answered your own question with that statement.
    Sell what you have and buy the car you like better. Since you like the vert the least amount,,,,why keep it??? Not to mention 99% of the time you'll get more for a vert than a solid roof car,,,,and put money in your pocket.

Unfortunately where you live I would think verts aren't in high demand.

BLACK
    2003 ZO6

Alright thanks guys.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

I would think that it would be cheaper than transfering a fully built drivetrain to another car.
    Ah, No way in hell is it going to be cheaper to change a 'vert into a coupe then it is to swap a drive train. The main reason being is that the drivetrains of 'verts and coupes are identical and BOLT RIGHT UP. Not so w/ the bodies. Additionally, I doubt you'd ever get it inspected and licenced to be driven on the road. How would you prove crash-test worthiness of a bastard child like a coupe converted from a 'vert? Build two and crash test one? BAD idea.

If GM never made a coupe style body, I could see the logic. But these aren't Miatas or Solstices. There are TONS of coupes out there, why waste a perfectly good 'vert to make another?

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

2011 Prius

Not reading the entire thing.... But I will sell you a clean title body, 98 Trans Am. Needs a new roof and windsheild frame.

Your idea is crazy, if you want to cut something up and pretty much being doing the same thing. This car is perfect.

1966 Corvette Coupe

i HATE trans am verts with the top up... mainly because the top is poorly made and bubbles up when you go down the road... but there is something to be said about having a T/A

I considered pulling all the hydraulics out for weigh and using the top for emergency use only. This left me with what i do with the care when i am going on a long trip or its just too cold out... This is where i decided that i could probably build a fiberglass top (like the vettes have)... it would keep the convertible roofline, but have no wind noise, be more secure, and been very different... How you do this or how much it would cost... I have no idea...

Would i try to weld on a roof? never....

-me

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    the top is poorly made and bubbles up when you go down the road... -me
    Alot of convertable type cars do the same thing. It's not that unusual.

Honestly,,,I never even notice it when I'm driving the car

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If you want a T-top, buy a t-top.

If you want a vert, buy a vert..

Not trying to be a d*ck here.. If you want to cut up 2 cars to amaturishly "make" one car,, well you can do that too..

If your pockets are'nt deep and you have nowhere for the project to take place other than your driveway/yard.. I would consider financing one or both of the first two.. As soon as you cut the first pillar the car may no longer have any value other than what you place on it.. Then you'll have 2 worthless cars imho.. But yes, it's possible...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

i HATE trans am verts with the top up...
    Amen brother. TAs and Vettes both suffer from the convertible top 'drop off' look. I can't stand that. They look slick as hell with the tops down though...

This is where i decided that i could probably build a fiberglass top (like the vettes have)... it would keep the convertible roofline, but have no wind noise, be more secure, and been very different... How you do this or how much it would cost... I have no idea...
    Now that's an interesting idea. I'd love to see something like that. I haven't seen that on a Corvette, but I dated a gal who drove a Miata and it had that hard cover top, was pretty sweet, best of both worlds kinda deal...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Mod that damn vert, screw verts......turn it into a hard top or t-top car. Hard/T-top > Vert FTMFW

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    But I will sell you a clean title body, 98 Trans Am. Needs a new roof and windsheild frame.
    Pretty ironic, given the purpose of the thread.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

i have to think it would cost as much to put a hard top on a vert as moving all the parts to a new body.......

Thread Information