Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Top replacement Questions

Ok, time for a new top but I have some questions. First where is the best place to get a new top? I was thinking ebay but they are much cheaper and I am worried about the quality. Also I see the sticky but is this something a novice can do fairly easily because all shops around me want $600 or more just for the labor for doing the job. And lastly do I go with cloth or vinyl? My stock is cloth but what are the benefits of each?

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Any advice would be appreciated.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Doing a top can be tricky. While just about anyone with enough time can probably get a new top on, it does take practice and experience to get it on right. I've done some older GM vehicles that were pretty easy and the 4th gen didn't look much different except for the liner.

Because I was curious I picked up the DVD that was done by TopgunWon being sold on e-bay. From watching the video it does look very do-able with the right amount of time and patience. Also the video instructions seemed to me to be much more clear than some of the otherwise very good instructions like the one in the sticky in this forum. I'd call the video $15 well spent and might help you make up your mind.

One other big thing that I've learned from experience is that if you think you will save money by buying the part (top kit) yourself and taking it to someone to have them install, think again. First thing the shop will tell you is they won't warrant someone else's parts. Next thing you will hear is how your parts aren't as good as what they sell. In some cases this is truth you might not want to hear. All goes back to you get what you pay for.

My advice is if you don't need the car as a daily driver and can source a good quality kit give it a shot but be very patient and get some good instructions first. You'll definitely learn something and may come up with a great reason to buy some new tools.

If however you need the car as a daily driver or after getting the instructions either don't have the tools or the time, find a reputable local shop and pay for a quality install even if it costs a bit more than you like. At least then if something isn't quite right you can take it back and get it fixed.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Thanks for the info!

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Yea was just mainly wondering if the tops off ebay are decent? Or what would be a good place to buy it from? Pretty much cost/durability?

Artic White
    2002 Camaro Z28

If I where you, contact a local auto upholstery shop, they will be able to do the job and can get you a few options im sure. I work as a adjuster for a insurance company and have had to do a few in the past for customers. I would start there, dont think it really a do it your self project. Headers you could do, Exhaust you could do, Top I wouldnt!

Thread Information