Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monsoon amp

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Monsoon amp

Where in the hell is the monsoon amp located at looking at striping the cars stereo and putting good stuff in.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

I don't know for sure since my '98 'vert didn't have a Monsoon option available. But if it isn't in the spare tire well, it might be up under the dash or in the same location as in the coupes (wherever that is).

Yeah I know. Thanks for nothing. But I figured something was better than a simple "TTT".

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

The amp is located in the trunk area attached to the inside of the passenger side rear quarter just ahead of the spare tire. Pop the trunk and look around where the antenna comes through and you'll see it. Easiest to work with once you remove the spare tire. Remove the hold down bolt then wiggle gently until it clears.

Luck!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    The amp is located in the trunk area attached to the inside of the passenger side rear quarter just ahead of the spare tire. Pop the trunk and look around where the antenna comes through and you'll see it. Easiest to work with once you remove the spare tire. Remove the hold down bolt then wiggle gently until it clears.

Luck!
    this... you can use something like a quater to unlock the tabs and move the panel out of the way...

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

ok now that i know where that is how do you get the rear speakers out i dont see any screws in the panels but i dont just want to try ripping them out and does anybody know the size of those.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

They are 6 1/2. You need to remove the panel. All you need is a torx driver for the seat latch and a phillips head screwdriver. Be careful when choosing speakers. If they are too deep then the top mechanism will hit when you put the top down.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Okay newer old question i cannot find those damn infinity speakers anymore for a price i would pay for 2ohm speakers. So what i want to know has anybody did a complete switch of speakers and amp in a vert i haven't seen one yet and the rear panel advice thats good stuff never would have thought about that until i pulled the panel.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

IMHO.. Your best bet is to take the Monsoon out and throw it off a wall..

Then, replace it with any after market HU..

Less headache and will sound better..

I have a 15-16 year old Sony CD player in my 20 year old car that sounds 100x better than the Monsoontobebroken that's in my 01 Camaro..

Paint rubbed off the number buttons and most of the face luminations are burned out too.. Quality unit..

I can still clearly see the numbers on my anchient Sony HU, and everthing still lights up..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Quote Originally Posted by smittro View Post
    imho.. Your best bet is to take the monsoon out and throw it off a wall..

Then, replace it with any after market hu..

Less headache and will sound better..

I have a 15-16 year old sony cd player in my 20 year old car that sounds 100x better than the monsoontobebroken that's in my 01 camaro..

Paint rubbed off the number buttons and most of the face luminations are burned out too.. Quality unit..

I can still clearly see the numbers on my anchient sony hu, and everthing still lights up..
    thats the plan i got rid of the monsoon crap head unit a week after i got the car. Now i guess its time to start doing the interior need some new door panels clean the carpet stuff like that and then the speakers will come next new amp maybe make a sub box that fits where the spare tire goes that would be cool.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

You might also want to check out Kee Audio. They aren't a sponsor so I can't post a link but they have specific packages of replacement stereo parts for our Monsoon based systems. They cover 3rd and 4th gen F Bodies.

Well for all you guys that have all these crappy horrible soon to be broken monsoon headunits,,,,please send them all my way free of charge then please,,,because they can't possibly be worth anything

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well for all you guys that have all these crappy horrible soon to be broken monsoon headunits,,,,please send them all my way free of charge then please,,,because they can't possibly be worth anything
    When it was new it sounded good.. Worked good..

But like every single GM stock unit I have ever had, they die sooner than later.

Or aspects of the unit would just quit working..

But as far as sound goes..

Most would agree, a Monsoon is far from top shelve..

Like I was sayin', I have an achient Sony HU..

It has a tiny built in amp pushing 2 lousy (4ohm) 3-way 6x9's...

Yet STILL sounds 100% better or "richer" which ever you prefer..

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Yea I sold mine that didn't work the dude said he could fix them!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post

But like every single GM stock unit I have ever had, they die sooner than later.

I was never that much of a sounds freak when it comes to stereos. It plays music and I can hear it,,,that's about as far as it goes. For that,,,the Monsoon does it's job for me.
    Never had one die on me with 4 of these cars, my wife loves the 12 disc changer feature controlled through the head unit, she loves the button controls on the steering wheel. I also like the larger buttons and ease of operation, very simple to use it, easy to read, and I also like the stock appearance.
    I've got a couple cars with more complicated aftermarket head units,,and they are fine for their intended purpose,,,and yes some of those I have are more than 20 years old,,,,but can they make these damn buttons any smaller and harder to read??? Everytime I need to change settings I have to get the manual out,,and it's 50 pages long,,,for a friggin radio???

So ya,,,,you can see why I'm on both sides of the fence when it comes to this stuff.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I was never that much of a sounds freak when it comes to stereos. It plays music and I can hear it,,,that's about as far as it goes. For that,,,the Monsoon does it's job for me.
    Never had one die on me with 4 of these cars, my wife loves the 12 disc changer feature controlled through the head unit, she loves the button controls on the steering wheel. I also like the larger buttons and ease of operation, very simple to use it, easy to read, and I also like the stock appearance.
    I've got a couple cars with more complicated aftermarket head units,,and they are fine for their intended purpose,,,and yes some of those I have are more than 20 years old,,,,but can they make these damn buttons any smaller and harder to read??? Everytime I need to change settings I have to get the manual out,,and it's 50 pages long,,,for a friggin radio???

So ya,,,,you can see why I'm on both sides of the fence when it comes to this stuff.
    I like my stock HU for the same exact reasons. I'm never changing it, just the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I like my stock HU for the same exact reasons. I'm never changing it, just the speakers.
    Ya the speakers could use some improvement.

Love the stock head unit though. Very easy to operate and change settings. I disconnect the battery and the only thing I have to set is the clock, it keeps all the other settings and stations intact, which is nice.

None of my aftermarket head units do that. I have to go back through and reset the equalizer, the stations, treble and base, fade and balance etc..because it's all computerized settings...It's a friggin 30 minute process. Ugh....
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 04-11-2011 at 08:47 AM.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    you might also want to check out kee audio. They aren't a sponsor so i can't post a link but they have specific packages of replacement stereo parts for our monsoon based systems. They cover 3rd and 4th gen f bodies.
    good tip those speakers look wild as hell!!

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

I would have kept my head unit if the damn thing didnt go bad a week after i got the car and it was just as cheap for me to get a new head unit as to get a monsoon factory unit so i got one i can just hook my ipod up to works out great for me!!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Ya the speakers could use some improvement.

Love the stock head unit though. Very easy to operate and change settings. I disconnect the battery and the only thing I have to set is the clock, it keeps all the other settings and stations intact, which is nice.

None of my aftermarket head units do that. I have to go back through and reset the equalizer, the stations, treble and base, fade and balance etc..because it's all computerized settings...It's a friggin 30 minute process. Ugh....
    Mine does'nt..

White
    2000 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post

Why is it that every time I try and look something up on here a v6 camaro guy always has some stupid shit to say? The stock system is fine. Just get a different hu and replace the speakers. Not that complicated. You don't need to re-wire the whole fucking car and waste a bunch of money. Ya, it may not be the best system but who cares? We bought the car because its fast, or atleast the LS1's are fast, not because of the sound system. Get a fucking V8.

Thread Information