Results 1 to 10 of 10

installing rear springs

This is a discussion on installing rear springs within the Convertible forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ok, they were easy as hell to swap on my non vert firehawk.. but on the vert, how the hell ...

  1. #1
    Member psycho1000r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Posts
    126

    Black
    00 Trans Am

    installing rear springs

    ok, they were easy as hell to swap on my non vert firehawk.. but on the vert, how the hell do you access the top bolt for the rear springs/shock??? its underneath the trunk area@!! anyone have a write up or " how to" on rear spring installs for the convertible?

  2. #2
    Member 99'CajunFirehawk157's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    39466 USA
    Age
    56
    Posts
    902

    Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

    Not sure what your asking; its a breeze to take out the rear springs on a vert; jack up car has high as you can under rear end, block up w/jackstands on FRAME, Unbolt lower shock mounts and just let hang, lower rear end until you can pull springs out, you may have to unbolt sway bar end links but I did not, I was able to pull (compress by hand) the spring enought to get them out, YMMV. BE safe too.

  3. #3
    Member psycho1000r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Posts
    126

    Black
    00 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    Not sure what your asking; its a breeze to take out the rear springs on a vert; jack up car has high as you can under rear end, block up w/jackstands on FRAME, Unbolt lower shock mounts and just let hang, lower rear end until you can pull springs out, you may have to unbolt sway bar end links but I did not, I was able to pull (compress by hand) the spring enought to get them out, YMMV. BE safe too.
    i dunno, if i recall on my firehawk i had to go into the trunk/wheelwell space, undo all that plasic crap and unscrew something from the inside?
    so on hte vert you dont have to go in thru the inside? just jack it up and unscrew it? sorry if i sound like an idiot its been like 3 years since i did it and i could have sworn i had to undo something from hte inside.

  4. #4
    Member 99'CajunFirehawk157's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    39466 USA
    Age
    56
    Posts
    902

    Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

    Sounds like you want to take the shocks off, because you do have to go into the car somwehere to undo the top nut on the shocks but not for the springs on the rear...NO to remove the coil springs, you do not, the springs are just held in under their own compresson...if that makes sense?

    I just did mine to add these air bags in...
    Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 10-22-2007 at 09:43 PM.

  5. #5
    Member psycho1000r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Posts
    126

    Black
    00 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    Sounds like you want to take the shocks off, because you do have to go into the car somwehere to undo the top nut on the shocks but not for the springs on the rear...NO to remove the coil springs, you do not, the springs are just held in under their own compresson...if that makes sense?

    I just did mine to add these air bags in...
    ah , yeh gotcha.. i took the whole shock off last time!! thats why i had to go in from the indise to loosen the shock mounts!

    yeh the backs were easy, just jack it up, move that crap oput of the way and it prettty much falls out. so if i want to replace shocks how would i access them? lol

  6. #6
    drop the back seat forward. near the top of the carpet panel that is behind the seat, you should find a slit in the carpet on both the driver and passenger sides. Here is where you access the top nut on the shock. You might have to help the slit along with a blade. Be careful not to slice ur carpet up to pieces... but that's where it is. Poke around and you'll find it.

  7. #7
    Member psycho1000r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Posts
    126

    Black
    00 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSport View Post
    drop the back seat forward. near the top of the carpet panel that is behind the seat, you should find a slit in the carpet on both the driver and passenger sides. Here is where you access the top nut on the shock. You might have to help the slit along with a blade. Be careful not to slice ur carpet up to pieces... but that's where it is. Poke around and you'll find it.
    thanks brother!

  8. #8
    Member 99'CajunFirehawk157's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    39466 USA
    Age
    56
    Posts
    902

    Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

    Just did mine this weekend, took about an hour....

  9. #9
    Member psycho1000r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Posts
    126

    Black
    00 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    Just did mine this weekend, took about an hour....
    lets see some pics~!

  10. #10
    Member 99'CajunFirehawk157's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    39466 USA
    Age
    56
    Posts
    902

    Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

    Cool

    lets see some pics~!
    Ok...pics of the rear upper mounts...Bilsteins go on same way o/e's come off except you use an allen wrench to hold the shaft versus a crescent while tightening up...
    Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 10-22-2007 at 09:43 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Installing Strano Springs
    By Redrokit8 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-24-2012, 10:09 AM
  2. Same price to r&r v.springs vs installing rr's ??
    By 5abivt in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2010, 06:44 PM
  3. 97 rear springs?
    By 0verkill in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 06:38 AM
  4. installing rear lowerings springs and struts
    By adham in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 07:34 AM
  5. rear pro springs
    By LUV2SK8TE17 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 08:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •