Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Finally aquired an SS Vert.

This is a discussion on Finally aquired an SS Vert. within the Convertible forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Did you check for wu8 on the door tag? also the 17 inch tire door tag? It has slp option ...

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Did you check for wu8 on the door tag?
    also the 17 inch tire door tag?
    It has slp option so they could varify its an SS with the vin but sounds like it is.
    Just for giggles,check your build date(on door tag)
    see if maybe its a really late build date,maybe ran out of ss spoilers at the time but needed to push the car thru the line.Slp could probably shed some light on this for you,They may have some kind of foot note saying it came to them with a Z spoiler,In 02 chevy actually assembled the ss + was then only sent to slp if it was getting the extra slp options like center exhaust etc.
    I'm Pretty sure thats how it went.
    If i were you I would go to the dealership + ask them to
    dig up the orig dealer invoice + any other orig paperwork on it.you would be amazed how much of that stuff is stored especially now everything is on computer.
    A few years back i got all the orig dealer invoices, from 3 diff dealerships on three rare cars, which added SO much value + interest to them, because it authenticated them, down to every lst detail including things that were dealer installed, that i thought were after market stuff. A 69 428 cobra-jet XR-7 air conditioned convert,(1of 7) A W-31 olds,(1 of 112 post coupes) + a 70 R/T S/E 440-6 challenger,(only one built with a shaker hood + 4 spd)All still had the orig paperwork in there basements,the olds dealersip got them for me,so i went to the mercury place,+ the guy couldn't be bothered,so the next day i went back to olds guy with abox of donuts + coffee to thank him + told him about the mercury place, It turned out the guy at the merc dealer was his brother + both places were owned by the same family, He told me to come back the next day + he may have a surprise,all the merc records wer stored in the basement of the olds place + he got me the orig invoice/ order form etc. fully documenting a super rare car,about 25 years after it was built.Same with the challenger the two brothers that owned the dealership, now a bodyshop, remembered the car imedietly,Said it was there favorite car that ever went thru the dealership,when they were kids(tiny dealershp right on main street 1 row of about 10 cars) They proceded to tall me the sory about how they were yelling at the service manager to Get On It. he did + spun it out onto a lawn across the street, (that one of them now owns)the old lady who owned the house at the time came out with a broom stick + threatened the manager While the kids cracked up. I then asked them if they knew who ordered it new,They got a phone book + came up with the orig owners name + #, he lived right around the corner, I called him + got his brother. he came down,+ we drove to his brothers house in the car, he hadn't seen it in 20 years,+gave me all kinds of orig stuff from the car,+ history,of the car.meanwhile,the dealership owners dug up the orig paperwork on the car + called me about a week later.great history + docs on a now 37year old car. That was my 1st car, sold it when i was 16, bought it back 16 years later, then dug up that history.
    You would be amazed at what you can dig up if you look.
    Where everything is small town + local, for you,orig dealer + owner close by, should be a breeze,if that originally came with the z spoiler + you can document it, i would leave it,Its a rarity + adds interest to the car.
    Also press the orig owner for any orig docs she may have forgotten.
    I'm only three weeks into my SS + alredy have alot of info, from long distance, but sometimes yo run into a wall, on info + things just remain a mystery. Good luck, to me its kind of a neat curiosity, a factory z spoiler on a SS,I love that kind of thing , The hows and the why's, did it happen.

You are right, I do need to investigate it more. I did aquire all the paperwork, window sticker etc...but I see nothing noted about the spoiler in particular. I guess I could give SLP a call and see what they have to say, as this did receive quite a few SLP options. Maybe they have something of it in their records.
    I have a small collection of cars myself, mainly older muscle cars. I have documented them all over time. But what I have found interesting over the years when it comes to cars and the manufacturing/assembly process,,,,,,never say never. Strange things happen. Thanks for the info, I will dig a little deeper. Larry.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

if you dont have the SS spoiler u dont have a SS or somebody replaced it with a z28 spoiler for some reason

Yes it's an SS and no it hasn't been replaced. It's just a fluke. Varified the spoiler hasn't been changed from the original owner and the dealer that sold it new. I don't want to say ya or na, because I have learned to never say never in the car hobby. I will see if SLP can shed some light on this car, hopefully they have a record of it. Larry.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yes it's an SS and no it hasn't been replaced. It's just a fluke. Varified the spoiler hasn't been changed from the original owner and the dealer that sold it new. I don't want to say ya or na, because I have learned to never say never in the car hobby. I will see if SLP can shed some light on this car, hopefully they have a record of it. Larry.
    I definnitly would like to hear the explanation on that one.

Ya I am a little curious as to what or why too. I have to order a couple more parts so I will discuss the car with them. I was told they also have records of each car, listing options and number sequences etc....that in itself sounds interesting.
    I sure am enjoying the heck out of this car though. Can't wait until the track opens next month. Larry.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

it might have flew off during high speed

Sebring Silver Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

What?! No pics?!

Haven't pulled it out of the garage in a couple days, been raining here like gangbusters. Supposed to rain tomorrow and monday too. I will take some pics as soon as the weather clears up and see if I can post here. Larry.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Did ya call SLP yet?

Heres one of the chevelle I took this past fall.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 04-13-2007 at 06:46 AM.

Nope I haven't, plan on calling Monday. Larry.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Heres one of the chevelle I took this past fall.
    Man, I wish mine was that nice to post a pic!

Here is my 70 Formula with my 88 iroc in the backround. Larry.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 04-13-2007 at 06:46 AM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Wow! You got alot of Garage space!

I need more, it's all full.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I need more, it's all full.
    Oh Yeah? I got a 1 car garage. I have my chevelle and my camaro and for sure the chevelle gets the garage spot. I have to park it all the way up againt the passenger side just so I can open the door half way.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I started with no garage in our first house, then moved to a 4 car, moved again for more property and built what I thought I needed now, holds 10 cars with room to work. But they never seem to be big enough. No matter how large they are, we still tend to fill them with junk. If you ever build yourself a new garage, here's a friendly tip. Figure the size you need to be comfortable,,,then double that size,,,it will be a good start Larry.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Yaeh, nice garages,I missed out on a house in the sticks with 63 acres,(A rarity in ma).+ a 60x100 Garage with a loft on half of it. with a one bed room apt with a little front porch up there,that overlooked the inside of the garage,As soon as i walked in i could see myself sitting up there just surveying, my collection that would surely follow,it had a lift a loading dock in the rear,a 14 ft. door, + a smaller door on each side,and all this was surrounded by,state forest on a dead end road, 1 mile from the main high way, he wanted over a million for the place,when i looked at it,beyond my reach at the time, It sold for $600K and now 50 of the acres are for sale for $750K. I kick my ass daily for not staying on top of that one.Thats the model for the garage i build in the future, my 2 stall just isn't cuttin it. I want something with a center travel lane and you pull them in + park them off to the sides, room to turn them around, smoke the tires in there etc.This squeezing them thru the narrow doors + barely having the room to open the doors inside is a drag,+ of course the balcony front porch to sit up there + admire the colection is a must.
    I'm looking now + wont let another one like that slip by, only problem there is no others like it.

nbm
    00SS

Congrats

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information