Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Fastest Convertibles Whats Your Times?

This is a discussion on Fastest Convertibles Whats Your Times? within the Convertible forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by RedVertTA Any of you guys having trouble with weight? What have some of you done to cope ...

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Any of you guys having trouble with weight?

What have some of you done to cope with it?
    There's all kinds of things you can do to cut weight. How much are you looking to drop and what's your main goal for the car...street or strip?

Any of you guys having trouble with weight?

What have some of you done to cope with it?

Nothing, to be frank I like the car just the way it is. In reality the verts don't way much more if at all over a T-top car,,,not enough to worry about anyway
    With both a T-top and a pair of convertables I've had everything on the scale. My fully optioned 00 SS T-top with a 6 speed weighed 3560 lbs and my fully optioned 02 SS vert with an auto only came in at 3,620 lbs. Thats only a difference of 60 lbs. Not enough to worry about.
    My other vert that was just a Z28 (steel hood) with a 6 speed (LT1 with an iron block at that) only tipped the scales at 3,540 lbs. Shucks it was lighter than all of them with a steel hood and iron block.

Couple of buddies of mine scaled theirs as well,,,they were all T-top LS1 cars and one was even heavier than my LS1 SS vert,,,go figure.

There are simple way to combat weight. Taking it out of the front is ideal. A great way with these 4th gens is a tubular K-member. Takes roughly 60-70 lbs. out of the front. Some people simply start taking out parts like seats, spare tires and such,,,I don't care for that approach, it kills the drivability of the car for us. I don't want to go anywhere without a spare and I can't haul the kids in the back without a seat. But whatever works for you. There was a huge writeup on it around here somewhere,,,anyone know where it might be??? May have been a sticky.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    There's all kinds of things you can do to cut weight. How much are you looking to drop and what's your main goal for the car...street or strip?
    Its a DD car, (Do a little racing too). Bolt ons so it should be close to stock weight. I thought the weight was closer to 4k lbs but I'm hearing people on this thread say its less. Whats the actual figure?

I'll be honest the reason I ask is cause the other day I got pulled by buddy of mine in an all stock Infinity G coupe, the new one (about 3600 lbs, 330 at the crank, 7 speed tip, solid axle rear wheel drive). Mine has the mods on my signature and 343 at the wheel! Its an A4 so I didn't lose by missing a gear. There was a slight curve in the road and he had the inside but not much, I also had 3 other people in the car (He had one other person I think). But still I hate making excuses and I thought my vert should have blown him away. Could it have been weight?
    Last edited by RedVertTA; 12-03-2008 at 06:55 PM.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Its a DD car, (Do a little racing too). I thought the weight was closer to 4k but I'm hearing people say its less. Whats the actual figure?

I'll be honest the reason I ask is cause the other day I got pulled by buddy of mine in an all stock Infinity G coupe, the new one (about 3600 lbs, 330 at the crank, 7 speed tip, solid axle rear wheel drive). Mine has the mods on my signature and 343 at the wheel, its an A4 so I didn't lose by missing a gear. There was a slight curve in the road and he had the inside, I also had 3 other people in the car. But still I hate making excuses and I thought my vert should have blown him away. Could it have been weight?
    Sounds like you had a full load with 3 other people,,,that stuff adds up quick. Figure even with featherwight 150 lbs people you've added 450 lbs. plus what ever you weigh. Gas is about 6 lbs. per gallon.

Every 100 lbs. is roughly 1 tenth of a second generally. There is no real set weight for these cars,,,after having mine on the scale and seeing several others,,,they seem to be all over the place. As I said my heaviest vert was only 60 lbs. more than my T-top car.
    There are some low option cars out there that are lighter though. Best way to know for sure is put it on a scale and see for yourself. No one here can really tell you what it weighs.

None

Its a DD car, (Do a little racing too). Bolt ons so it should be close to stock weight. I thought the weight was closer to 4k lbs but I'm hearing people on this thread say its less. Whats the actual figure?

I'll be honest the reason I ask is cause the other day I got pulled by buddy of mine in an all stock Infinity G coupe, the new one (about 3600 lbs, 330 at the crank, 7 speed tip, solid axle rear wheel drive). Mine has the mods on my signature and 343 at the wheel! Its an A4 so I didn't lose by missing a gear. There was a slight curve in the road and he had the inside but not much, I also had 3 other people in the car (He had one other person I think). But still I hate making excuses and I thought my vert should have blown him away. Could it have been weight?
    Not nere 4k... take some off!
    Get it Dynod/weighed

Quote Originally Posted by SS 2002 533HP View Post
    Not nere 4k... take some off!
    Get it Dynod/weighed
    Well I've already dynoed it (See my signature), but I guess I'll have it weighed some time.

Again, sorry people I kinda hijacked the thread, but everybody was bringing up weight so I though it would be a good time to ask.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

12.59 @ 111/ or 112.

396 in progress. the guy i got it from putt down 525 to the wheels. will see. i can't wait should be good for high tens on motor. maybe high 9's on the 100/150 shot.

retired racer not 4 long chevy1966's Avatar

red white
    1999 z28 vert 1998 z28 ht

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    12.59 @ 111/ or 112.

396 in progress. the guy i got it from putt down 525 to the wheels. will see. i can't wait should be good for high tens on motor. maybe high 9's on the 100/150 shot.

Let us know why you get to make a pass. I am down for a few months until I see some changes in the economy, don't want to spend any unnecessary money right now.

retired racer not 4 long chevy1966's Avatar

red white
    1999 z28 vert 1998 z28 ht

Well I've already dynoed it (See my signature), but I guess I'll have it weighed some time.

Again, sorry people I kinda hijacked the thread, but everybody was bringing up weight so I though it would be a good time to ask.

What gears are you running? Any convertor? With 343 rwhp and a 3000 stall with some 3:42's you should see some low to mid 12's easy. Mine made 397 rwhp with a 9", it ran consistant 11:80's all day long with 3500 convertor & 3:73 gears, and still got over 21MPG.
    Last edited by chevy1966; 12-04-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by chevy1966 View Post
    What gears are you running? Any convertor? With 343 rwhp and a 3000 stall with some 3:42's you should see some low to mid 12's easy. Mine made 397 rwhp with a 9", it ran consistant 11:80's all day long with 3500 convertor & 3:73 gears, and still got over 21MPG.
    No stall or gears, just the mods on my signature. I've also recently added a BMR driveshaft safety loop and crossmember for the frame, got to add that to the signature. I'm considering either heads and cams or shocks and springs next.

No stall or gears, just the mods on my signature. I've also recently added a BMR driveshaft safety loop and crossmember for the frame, got to add that to the signature. I'm considering either heads and cams or shocks and springs next.
    You'll need that converter before a camshaft. Even a converter with your current combo would be your best bang for your buck.

Yeah I already thought about that but like I said I'm still not sure about the cam yet. Gas is high, Obama already said he's going to raise the gas tax, I'm not sure it would be wise to invest in a mod that would lower mileage.

Yeah I thought about that but I'm still not sure about the cam yet, gas is high, Obama already said he's going to raise the gas tax, I'm not sure it would be wise to invest in a mod that would lower mileage.
    I went with a 3400 stall and it really didn't affect mileage enough to worry about. I went from 22 mpg around town to 20 mpg around town.
    Of course highway mileage isn't affected at all since the converter is locked up anyway.
    Even around town it will lock up at 38 mph with light throttle,,,it's really not bad to live with at all.

Gas is high???? Where at??? Around here it's about $2.05 for super unleaded at the highest priced stations like Shell,,,others have high test for $1.89,,,,thats the cheapest it's been in at least 5 years that I can remember. I'm used to paying $4.00 a gallon for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I went with a 3400 stall and it really didn't affect mileage enough to worry about. I went from 22 mpg around town to 20 mpg around town.
    Of course highway mileage isn't affected at all since the converter is locked up anyway.
    Even around town it will lock up at 38 mph with light throttle,,,it's really not bad to live with at all.

Gas is high???? Where at??? Around here it's about $2.05 for super unleaded at the highest priced stations like Shell,,,others have high test for $1.89,,,,thats the cheapest it's been in at least 5 years that I can remember. I'm used to paying $4.00 a gallon for it.
    Here's the thing, my ride is in Florida where it's more expensive than you but not by much (I'm jealous of your prices) and I'm currently in college in New York, going to RPI. I may bring the car up with me, just couldn't yet cause I'm a freshmen, but gas here is in the $3 range and higher for premium, New York has one of the highest gas tax rates in the country. Besides I know with Obama he'll raise it, he already said he would.

Then you probably won't want to do that head and camshaft swap either.

Or a better idea would be to buy a cheap MPG beater and then you can have at it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information